Welcome to the Rest of your Career: Redux

I think that ALPA, as currently structured, is not really prepared to fully meet the needs of all pilots it represents.

No, ALPA is. What other options are out there?

Previously, 'outsourcing' usually meant an obvious scope violation at a mainline carrier, or an attempt to bring scabs on board. Now, it's just part of the business, with regional feed swallowing up a huge portion of total revenue. I think that obviously opposing interests have left ALPA divided within itself.

They are focusing on the larger carriers. Look how Delta got those AirTran 717s. Higher paid pilots are flying that equipment due to the scope clause worked into the Delta contract which means higher dues revenue. It benefits all of us to see those aircraft at a mainline carrier, not at a regional.

Also, ALPA is ignoring the regionals that aren't playing ball to what Delta is trying to do to reset the regional rates.

Thanks for the discussion, guys.

As an outsider who is hoping to break into 121 flying within the next 18 months or so, I appreciate being able to read threads like this and learn about issues and points of view that military guys just have no visibility on, much less any insight into. For those of us who want to educate ourselves, this stuff is very valuable. Thanks.

For as much purse-fighting that takes place on JC, it is threads like this, for me, that make it worthwhile to be part of the community.

The regional issues seems like it's the same issue they've had since the late 90s.

Not at all. The FFD landscape has completely changed over the past decade. When I was starting at Pinnacle, the regionals were growing like a weed. Upgrades were plentiful and fast even though there was no attrition, and there was no end to the guaranteed profits. The air service agreements were almost all cost-plus agreements, guaranteeing managements profitability, no matter what. And most importantly, longevity was low.

Today, the landscape has completely changed. The cost-plus contracts are gone forever, and FFD carrier is pitted against FFD carrier. Rather than mainline carriers being pitted against regional carriers to outsource the flying, it's now regional against regional fighting for the same dwindling scraps. And longevity has skyrocketed at some carriers, while staying very low at others, making block-hour costs vary widely from carrier to carrier. These are completely new problems. Problems that need to be focused on rather than ignored.

As for the day to day, at my carrier we're still having a hard time getting past "fly it and grieve it" even when it's a blatant contract violation.

There's nothing that can ever be done to change that. That's a basic tenet of the RLA, and for good reason. It sucks sometimes, but it's a necessary evil.

Honestly, absolutely nothing. Looking back, it was a way for someone to be on full time flight pay loss. Bravo to him for figuring that out.

If I was sitting next to you I'd slap you upside the head. What a bunch of BS, 'Squatch. That guy wasn't the problem, and he wasn't just soaking up FPL. He's worked his ass off for pilots for a very long time, and he's a true believer trade unionist. The problem wasn't him, it was everyone else refusing to play ball. Everyone claims to want to fix the problem, but nobody wants to actually take the steps to do it. And with no real leader at the top to press the issue, it won't happen. That's not the fault of the guy getting FPL.

While it was a good idea, it fell short as there was no way to accomplish the goal of the FFD working group.

Of course there was a way. It was suggested by the guy who should have been elected president: portable longevity. The reason everyone is willing to undercut everyone else is because they have to to save their own asses. They can't move from one regional to another without starting over again, which no one in their right mind will do unless they're forced into it. That's the source of the problem, and the solution is making longevity portable.

Let me ask you and @amorris311 the following question as he also called me today to bitch at me.

As ALPA President, how would y'all 'fix' the FFD carriers?

For starters, at least act like you give a . That goes a long way towards not losing the faith of the elected leaders at the FFD carriers, and that's a big part of preventing it all from collapsing. But when every word out of your mouth is about Emirates, Qatar, or Abu Dhabi, it's pretty clear that what goes on at EGL or PSA isn't on your mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Portable longevity? Same thing as "national" seniority list?

Nope, different. The problem with a national seniority list is that no one will ever agree to give up seniority for someone else who is out of a job. Seniority is too precious to pilots. But portable longevity just means that you take a portion (or potentially all) of your longevity with you to another carrier for pay purposes and anything else that carrier uses longevity to determine (vacation, LTD eligibility, retirement, whatever). It does cost the carrier a bit more money, because they're hiring pilots at 5 year pay instead of 1 year pay on occasion, but it's a far easier hill to climb than a national seniority list.

There's nothing that can ever be done to change that. That's a basic tenet of the RLA, and for good reason. It sucks sometimes, but it's a necessary evil.

This might be a dumb question but is there anything under the RLA or otherwise that would restrict a non-union carrier, such as Skywest, from striking when they are presented with concessions by INC.?

Not at all. The FFD landscape has completely changed over the past decade. When I was starting at Pinnacle, the regionals were growing like a weed. Upgrades were plentiful and fast even though there was no attrition, and there was no end to the guaranteed profits. The air service agreements were almost all cost-plus agreements, guaranteeing managements profitability, no matter what. And most importantly, longevity was low.

Today, the landscape has completely changed. The cost-plus contracts are gone forever, and FFD carrier is pitted against FFD carrier. Rather than mainline carriers being pitted against regional carriers to outsource the flying, it's now regional against regional fighting for the same dwindling scraps. And longevity has skyrocketed at some carriers, while staying very low at others, making block-hour costs vary widely from carrier to carrier. These are completely new problems. Problems that need to be focused on rather than ignored.

So if the landscape has changed in the FFD world, how can pilots at places like XJT/ASA, Eagle, etc. be expected to hold a line when their holding companies can't make money as they are getting squeezed by their mainline partners?

If I was sitting next to you I'd slap you upside the head.

No you wouldn't.

What a bunch of BS, 'Squatch.

No it is not.

That guy wasn't the problem, and he wasn't just soaking up FPL. He's worked his ass off for pilots for a very long time, and he's a true believer trade unionist. The problem wasn't him, it was everyone else refusing to play ball.

I agree he wasn't the problem, but he didn't really do much to fix it. With the FPL issue I bring up, you know that I am extremely reasonable in this regard. You know that I have no problem if one needs to be on full time FPL, needs a trip bought, or if a volunteer group has a nice dinner, even with alcohol on the union dime. Part of doing business. But for the amount of work he did, there is NO WAY he should have been on FULL time FPL for four years in that position.
He also knew early on that there were folks refusing to play ball yet was powerless to sway others into another view point.

Everyone claims to want to fix the problem, but nobody wants to actually take the steps to do it. And with no real leader at the top to press the issue, it won't happen. That's not the fault of the guy getting FPL.

What steps did he actually take to fix it then? Hold more meetings? Hold more conference call? Do you know how much R.H. was up my and other small FFD groups asses about our budgets, yet we were expected to attend these FFD meetings? Instead of pressing issues, such as covering the money to get the groups there, he didn't press that issue as he didn't want people looking at him and his little niche.

Once again, the fact of the matter is, and I am being frank here, is that his group, even after years of trying to raise the bar, was the first to be tested and they lowered the bar for the FFD group. Now they were in Bankruptcy so they had two options, either take these cuts, or there was a good possibility of being liquidated. That was the economic situation they were in and the pilot group made a decision. I respect them for that.

However, after spending thousands of hours between these FFD group calls, meetings, begging the company to let guys off for these FFD group meetings, getting my ass handed to me by R.H., wasting my time listening to an ass at the meeting saying why a flow isn't a good idea up to majors as they 'may' flow down, etc., I have every right to share my view on what turned out to be nothing more than a large waste of my time and energy. There is NOTHING to show for all of this work.

Of course there was a way. It was suggested by the guy who should have been elected president: portable longevity. The reason everyone is willing to undercut everyone else is because they have to to save their own asses. They can't move from one regional to another without starting over again, which no one in their right mind will do unless they're forced into it. That's the source of the problem, and the solution is making longevity portable.

Todd, ok, so you suggested a way. But how in the hell are you going to get pilot groups and management teams onboard with this, when, in your words, the FFD world has no money to be made?

When we were in negotiations with Colgan, during Leaves of Absence Section negotiations, management wasn't going to give FMLA leave to pilots who got pregnant in our small outstation bases. They didn't have to by law and told us they couldn't handle it with their staffing model at the time. So when you are going up against that, how in the hell is your pipe dream of this portable longevity going to work? How would you and your friend make it happen at the negotiating table?

For starters, at least act like you give a . That goes a long way towards not losing the faith of the elected leaders at the FFD carriers, and that's a big part of preventing it all from collapsing. But when every word out of your mouth is about Emirates, Qatar, or Abu Dhabi, it's pretty clear that what goes on at EGL or PSA isn't on your mind.

Once again, ok, say he starts actually giving a you know what. Then what? How is he going to make it happen at the negotiating table? @amorris311, instead of liking Todd's post, tell me how you would make this portable longevity work at the negotiating table?

With talking to someone Todd, Andrew, and I know very well at Eagle, it sounded like the plan Doug Parker presented to the Eagle MEC on where, the pay would be cut at Eagle, but there was a clear path to American sounded like a damn good solution to the FFD problem.

It sucks.

No doubt about it.

But is what the Eagle pilots are facing now better than what Doug Parker presented?

Last edited:
This might be a dumb question but is there anything under the RLA or otherwise that would restrict a non-union carrier, such as Skywest, from striking when they are presented with concessions by INC.?

Yes, even if you don't have a union, you are still bound by the RLA as long as you work in the airline or rail industries. Only the NMB can authorize a strike.

So if the landscape has changed in the FFD world, how can pilots at places like XJT/ASA, Eagle, etc. be expected to hold a line when their holding companies can't make money as they are getting squeezed by their mainline partners?

Who said anything about holding the line? I generally laugh at these "Stop the Whipsaw" guys who think they can just pound their chests and "hold the line." We're talking about finding real solutions, not just platitudes.

No you wouldn't.

Yeah, I really think I would. That pissed me off. I've known that guy for a long time, and I know all the work he's done for this profession. You're out of line.

There is NOTHING to show for all of this work.

Perhaps so. But that doesn't justify the attack for being on FPL. First, if anyone deserves an attack for that, it's the guy who approved it. Second, he was responsible for several projects, not just the FFD work, so claiming that he was getting FPL for just a few meetings a year for FFD work is false. Third, he can't be held responsible for the intransigence of the FFD group. I went to a couple of those FFD meetings. He tried to lead people towards solutions, but trying to get stubborn, mostly inexperienced, MEC chairmen and negotiating chairmen to agree on anything is a very difficult task.

But how in the hell are you going to get pilot groups and management teams onboard with this, when, in your words, the FFD world has no money to be made?

Managements are looking for concessions. If they want concessions, they have to offer things in return, especially when they aren't in bankruptcy. So far, career progression has been what they've offered. The problem with the career progression model is that it doesn't fix the underlying problem of the race to the bottom of the regionals. It just provides upward mobility to the people who are already at the regionals so that they can escape. The people that backfill the regionals after them are left with atrocious contracts that they have to suffer through for years, and then the cycle starts over again with even more concessions as the carriers underbid each other.

Rather than trading concessions for career progression, we should be trading concessions for portable longevity. Once portable longevity is in place, the next round of cost cutting and concessionary bargaining is much easier to deal with. Pilot groups can stand up for themselves and refuse to accept concessions, even if it means chapter 7, because they know that they'll be able to take their longevity to the carriers that pick up the flying.

Progress is measured in results, not attempts. If you work your ass off, and have nothing to show for it, you've failed. You may not have ever had a chance to succeed, but the fact of the matter is that you've failed if there are ZERO results.

There are no participation trophies when it comes to our careers.

Who said anything about holding the line? I generally laugh at these "Stop the Whipsaw" guys who think they can just pound their chests and "hold the line." We're talking about finding real solutions, not just platitudes.

I agree these chest thumpers need to have realistic expectations. To expect to 'hold a line' at the regional level isn't realistic.

Speaking of which, @amorris311, how did you feel about the Endeavor TA? How did you vote? Why?

Yeah, I really think I would. That pissed me off. I've known that guy for a long time, and I know all the work he's done for this profession. You're out of line.

The work he did on FFD side was all for nothing. How the hell are you going to call me out of line? You didn't have to deal with getting people to these meetings, didn't have to deal with the budget strains, you didn't have to beg to get time off for our volunteers. I had to deal with it. You didn't. It is extraordinarily frustrating to spend thousands of hours dealing with this and then to see no result of this work is a kick to the nuts.

Perhaps so. But that doesn't justify the attack for being on FPL. First, if anyone deserves an attack for that, it's the guy who approved it. Second, he was responsible for several projects, not just the FFD work, so claiming that he was getting FPL for just a few meetings a year for FFD work is false.

I stand by the fact that he should not have been out of FPL loss. Those other projects combined with the FFD work did not warrant a full time FPL loss.

Third, he can't be held responsible for the intransigence of the FFD group.

Very true.

I went to a couple of those FFD meetings. He tried to lead people towards solutions, but trying to get stubborn, mostly inexperienced, MEC chairmen and negotiating chairmen to agree on anything is a very difficult task.

As I said, these meetings were a waste of time. Nothing was accomplished.

Also, that still doesn't answer the fact on how we got NO support to get the folks there.

Managements are looking for concessions. If they want concessions, they have to offer things in return, especially when they aren't in bankruptcy. So far, career progression has been what they've offered. The problem with the career progression model is that it doesn't fix the underlying problem of the race to the bottom of the regionals. It just provides upward mobility to the people who are already at the regionals so that they can escape. The people that backfill the regionals after them are left with atrocious contracts that they have to suffer through for years, and then the cycle starts over again with even more concessions as the carriers underbid each other.

Rather than trading concessions for career progression, we should be trading concessions for portable longevity. Once portable longevity is in place, the next round of cost cutting and concessionary bargaining is much easier to deal with. Pilot groups can stand up for themselves and refuse to accept concessions, even if it means chapter 7, because they know that they'll be able to take their longevity to the carriers that pick up the flying.

Again, how do you, the person you supported for President, and @amorris311 actually expect portable longevity to be implemented? Do you really expect regional management would view portable longevity as something to trade for concessions? They would view it as a way to bring people on property at a higher pay rate, with more benefits, and an expenditure of more money.

Do you really expect regional management would view portable longevity as something to trade for concessions? They would view it as a way to bring people on property at a higher pay rate, with more benefits, and an expenditure of more money.
The only reason I could see any regional entertaining this idea is for recruiting at a desperate airline. Mesa seems to need pilots, maybe people will be more inclined to jump over there for ze perceived quick movement @ their longevity from a stagnant airline. I am sure if Mesa can't staff their new growth it'll be Mesa furlough time all over again because of cancelled contracts so they might like that idea.... But who are we kidding it's Mesa.
A buddy just told me the rumor @ Endeavor is that they need to hire 1100 pilots by 2015 for their new DCI/ chosen ones world domination campaign. Hiring 600 this year worked for Eagle... I am sure Endeavor can pull it off. The question is would management be able to understand this concept? Probably not, especially at Endeavor as it seems they truely believe the SSP is enough to attract new people.:rolleyes:

The only reason I could see any regional entertaining this idea is for recruiting at a desperate airline. Mesa seems to need pilots, maybe people will be more inclined to jump over there for ze perceived quick movement @ their longevity from a stagnant airline. I am sure if Mesa can't staff their new growth it'll be Mesa furlough time all over again because of cancelled contracts so they might like that idea.... But who are we kidding it's Mesa.

Regional Management doesn't view it as a recruiting tool. Mesa is sitting there right now, thinking to themselves, we are getting these shiny new airplanes with engines under the wings, CFIs will flock to fly them....and they aren't wrong.

I just love how @ATN_Pilot, the person he supported for President, and @amorris311 think portable longevity would be implementable to solve the FFD problem.

Regional Management doesn't view it as a recruiting tool. Mesa is sitting there right now, thinking to themselves, we are getting these shiny new airplanes with engines under the wings, CFIs will flock to fly them....and they aren't wrong.

I just love how @ATN_Pilot, the person he supported for President, and @amorris311 think portable longevity would be implementable to solve the FFD problem.
Exactly they don't but it could be if they had some imagination. Mesa probably won't have problems (especially with their new no interview job offer program) but from what it sounds like Endeavor has about 150 applications on file. That won't do much. These are just small examples it could be used for anyone going forward since I think recruiting may be a challenge.

Exactly they don't but it could be if they had some imagination outside of thinking the bottom line. They probably won't have problems but from what it sounds like Endeavor has about 150 applications on file. That won't do much. These are just small examples it could be used for anyone going forward since I think recruiting may be a challenge.

But you, @amorris311, @ATN_Pilot, I, and about 99% of those that get into flying DON'T get into it to spend the rest of one's career at a FFD airline. Instead of investing into such a ludicrous idea about portable longevity, wouldn't a guaranteed flow be a better recruiting tool? It would also force majors to be involved with the recruitment at the FFD airlines and solve a lot of other issues we see at the FFD airlines.

It would also be a lot easier to implement and get from the regionals and majors to sign off on.

If portable longevity isn't part of the solution, what is?

Back