"Welcome to Costco, I love you..."

I wonder how characters like these would react if you put them on an Emirates flight

I'm pretty sure they'd only fly Ryanair.

I, for one, feel safer. Thanks, lady-scared-of-differential-equations.

Well, dif eq scared me right outta engineering!!

Usually the same when you see a Sikh person walking through the terminal and all the eyes following them. Which is funny/sad because aside from the obvious, I kinda doubt if a Muslim was going to do something shady they would show up wearing the most conspicuous thing possible.

That is American ignorance at its worst. Reminds me of the shooting south of Milwaukee. Sad.

All it takes is for people to be honest and to be human. It seems these days that integrity, kindness, support, understanding, love, values, and compassion, are qualities that have begun to leave our culture and society. This makes me terribly sad. If we cannot master simple manners, simple small acts of kindness, simple polite recognition and acknowledgement of others, how will we ever be able to tackle all the enormous problems and issues that we are currently facing?

We have lost track of what is really meaningful in life and we are losing our connections to our own countrymen in such a degenerating pace, how will we be able to relate to the rest of the planet? We are better than this. We HAVE to be better than this. In this day and age of great technological advancements, many people are more isolated than ever. then you also have a large portion of the populus who have simply given up and do not even care any longer.

Why have we so miserably failed in assisting and changing the lives of others who so desperately need help? When we lift others up, it benefits everyone. We have built far too many walls and far too few bridges. For some time now I have felt that things are just very out of balance.

When did the elements of stability, growth, reward and endurance start to become obsolete? When did families become so disassociated? When did our core morals, values, character, ethics and conduct begin it's disintegration?

The world is sadly, not how I had hoped and believed it could be and evolve. Every day I am disappointed in mankind. There just seems to be is so much incompetence and mediocrity. When the hell did so many people forget how to behave? Sigh.

Last edited:
We have lost track of what is really meaningful in life and we are losing our connections to our own countrymen in such a degenerating pace, how will re be able to relate to the rest of the planet? We are better than this. We HAVE to be better than this.

Very true.

We have lost our connection of who we are and where we came from. The hate, loathing, rudeness, and cruelty some people exhibit for other human being, let alone other Americans, is sad and demoralizing.

We HAVE to be better than this if we hope to survive as a country.

The "I just want to be safe" rationale is used from everything from segregation to homicide throughout history.

We're still evolving primates with really cool toys to play with, but not that far separated by this scene from "2001: A Space Odyssey"-

giphy-2.gif

This kind of crap needs to stop... I once remember a passenger telling my gate agent that there was some middle eastern looking individuals....The gate agent was an Arab lady... who worked at the airline for more than 25 years, she smiled and just said that she will be looking into it....The people the passenger was complaining about were not middle eastern (didn't matter to us anyway) and that passenger was way too stupid to realize that the gate agent was middle eastern, just pathetic and uneducated

At least in this case they unloaded the person who started this mess.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/2...is__quot_terrorist__quot__flight_delayed.html

Passenger thinks Penn prof from Italy is terrorist, flight is delayed
Updated: May 7, 2016 — 9:42 PM EDT
An American Airlines flight from Philadelphia to Syracuse was delayed more than two hours when a passenger saw University of Pennsylvania professor Guido Menzio scribbling math and allegedly thought he was a terrorist.
by Julie Shaw, Staff Writer
An olive-complexioned, curly-haired University of Pennsylvania economics professor was deeply focused while scribbling an algebraic equation Thursday night, waiting aboard an American Airlines flight scheduled to take off from Philadelphia to Syracuse, N.Y.

He didn't have time to talk to the passenger next to him - a blond-haired woman wearing flip-flops who appeared to be in her 30s.

His behavior, his looks, and the little that he said to his seatmate apparently frightened her. She passed a note to a flight attendant.

The next thing that Guido Menzio, 40, knew, the plane had returned to a gate at Philadelphia International Airport. Menzio - who is Italian - was met by what he described as an "FBI looking man-in-black."

He was told the passenger thought he was a terrorist.

Menzio, who did not return an email seeking comment Saturday, wrote about his experience in a social media post, and his story was chronicled in a Washington Post article.

After authorities realized the woman's concerns about Menzio were not credible, Flight 3950 took off - minus the complaining passenger and after a more-than-two-hour delay.

Menzio, a prominent economist, has been a member of Penn's faculty since 2005, after getting his Ph.D. from Northwestern University.

Last year, he won the Carlo Alberto Medal for Best Italian Economist Under 40.

In a Facebook post that was later deleted, Menzio wrote that the woman had passed the note to a flight attendant, and that when the attendant returned, she asked the woman if she was comfortable taking off or was "too sick."

Menzio noted that the plane then returned to the gate and the woman left her seat.

He was then asked by the pilot to get off the plane, and when he did, he wrote that he was met by someone who looked like an FBI agent.

After first being asked about the woman who had been sitting next to him, Menzio said, he was then told that the woman "thought I was a terrorist because I was writing strange things on a pad of paper. I laugh. I bring them back to the plane. I showed them my math."

He told the Post in an article published Saturday that he is 40, that he was wearing jeans and a red Lacoste sweater, and that the woman had tried to make small talk with him, but he was too busy with his math notations.

Menzio, who lives in Philadelphia, was on his way to Syracuse for a connecting flight to Ontario to give a talk Friday at Queen's University in Kingston at its 2016 QED Frontiers of Macroeconomics Workshop. His 11 a.m. talk was entitled "The (Q, S, s) Pricing Rule."

Apparently, his math is pretty high-level and technical.

In his own social media post, Menzio wrote: "The lady just looked at me, looked at my writing of mysterious formulae, and concluded I was up to no good. Because of that an entire flight was delayed. . . . Trump's America is already here. It's not yet in power though. Personally, I will fight back."

The woman could not be reached. Menzio told the Post he did not know her name. The airline said it does not give out passenger information for privacy reasons.

Menzio told the Post he was "treated respectfully throughout," but was troubled by "a security protocol that is too rigid - in the sense that once the whistle is blown everything stops without checks - and relies on the input of people who may be completely clueless."

Menzio's Facebook page says he is from Turin, Italy.

Casey Norton, an American Airlines spokesman, confirmed Saturday that Flight 3950, an American Eagle flight operated by Air Wisconsin, was delayed for more than two hours Thursday night. It was scheduled to depart at 7:20 p.m.

"Taxiing out on takeoff, a customer reported she was not feeling well," Norton said. The woman asked a flight attendant for the plane to return to the gate so she could get off, he said.

He said the plane returned to the gate about 8:30 p.m. and stayed there for about an hour.

As the woman was getting off the plane, she then "reported concern about another customer's behavior," Norton said.

Norton would not say what the concern was about the other passenger. He would only confirm that the other passenger was a man and that he had been sitting near the woman.

He said American's customer-service manager, the Air Wisconsin captain, and ground security all determined the passenger's "concerns were not validated," and so the flight left the gate at 9:42 p.m.

He said the woman was rebooked on another flight to Syracuse that night.

Last edited:
Smh some people thinking is sickening. I wonder what small uneducated town is she from because I've never even seen any kind of math that resembles Arabic writing.

When did we lose perspective, I wonder? I know we did. At some point within my lifetime the scales tipped and "balance" went tumbling all to hell. And this didn't happen because of a President, or political party, or particular Supreme Court decision; it's almost like people stopped reasoning and thinking. Fear became a stronger motivation than the uncertainty of freedom ... or something.

I'll be honest. I like ... LOVE ... being a 21st century American. I wish I could make it to the 22nd century! With all our challenges, shortcomings and, yes, failures, there's no place I'd rather be.

My personal philosophy is pretty much unchanged from decades ago: Talk to a stranger, however different (and learn); filp the bird to those who need it and keep driving; don't let idiots take your joy in living; and let each moment be the one in which you delight, as best you can.

Stupid woman could have learned some new math!

For us as a country I think it's kind of the result of how information is disseminated now.

Cable news of all brands and slants is the obvious one, but I think also the internet. There are a lot of people who take things at face value and don't really feel the need to investigate further. If whatever website or channel they subscribe to says something, well then obviously it's true. The challenge with the internet too is that it's not difficult to make a professional and believable website/social media persona that is absolutely off the wall wrong on things that are scientifically proven. People don't want to figure out what is true, they just want to confirm their already held biases.

I agree that we live in an absolutely awesome time, but I just wish that everyone would treat each other a little better, even if it's just on the surface. We're a very selfish culture and we tend to forget how our actions can affect others. I think that's one of the reasons I love Japan so much. They of course aren't a culture without flaws, but they have a viewpoint of "we're all in this together" instead of "me first." I was talking to a captain about how I learned to drive in Japan. He was floored, but I explained to him that because most people are so courteous it really wasn't a big deal. He went into a rant of "well back home in my big ram truck I can and do force my way into wherever I need to be." And he was proud of that.

For us as a country I think it's kind of the result of how information is disseminated now.

Cable news of all brands and slants is the obvious one, but I think also the internet. There are a lot of people who take things at face value and don't really feel the need to investigate further. If whatever website or channel they subscribe to says something, well then obviously it's true. The challenge with the internet too is that it's not difficult to make a professional and believable website/social media persona that is absolutely off the wall wrong on things that are scientifically proven. People don't want to figure out what is true, they just want to confirm their already held biases.

I agree that we live in an absolutely awesome time, but I just wish that everyone would treat each other a little better, even if it's just on the surface. We're a very selfish culture and we tend to forget how our actions can affect others. I think that's one of the reasons I love Japan so much. They of course aren't a culture without flaws, but they have a viewpoint of "we're all in this together" instead of "me first." I was talking to a captain about how I learned to drive in Japan. He was floored, but I explained to him that because most people are so courteous it really wasn't a big deal. He went into a rant of "well back home in my big ram truck I can and do force my way into wherever I need to be." And he was proud of that.

I LOVE THE JAPANESE, and their culture. But they have a pretty xenophobic culture, especially for people who look like me.

I'm pretty sure they'd only fly Ryanair.

Well, dif eq scared me right outta engineering!!

That is American ignorance at its worst. Reminds me of the shooting south of Milwaukee. Sad.

Or the gas station owner near PHX who was murdered a few days after 9/11

Sometimes on the commute to work, I'll be in full uniform working on the server through terminal and conducting Linux commands.

I wonder if I have to start worrying about some suburbanite seeing a "not necessarily traditional-looking" pilot trying to 'hack the airplane, OMG!' :)

Sometimes on the commute to work, I'll be in full uniform working on the server through terminal and conducting Linux commands.

I wonder if I have to start worrying about some suburbanite seeing a "not necessarily traditional-looking" pilot trying to 'hack the airplane, OMG!' :)

If you ever think someone is reading what you're doing start drafting a letter from a Nigerian prince.

Back