Volunteer Opportunities.... Created Equal?

SpiceWeasel

Tre Kronor
Anyone in the know about the HR aspect of this for the big 3 (and other airlines looking at volunteer work to distinguish a candidate)....

Does the selected "volunteer work" get a different weight depending on what you are doing? Changing the community? Or is it all created equal?

Also, what of volunteer work that is "stealing" jobs? I have been looking for the right fit, and I see some positions that appear that they should be potentially be paid positions, filled by a professional, but they are staffed by volunteers....

Good question as I wonder too. Can the volunteer position actually go against you on how that person feels about that organization? I'm deeply into Boy Scouts (son is about to become Eagle), and Foster Parenting (we got second son on rent to own plan). Depending on how someone feels about Scouts or Fostering could be good or bad.

If you're volunteering because you are trying to enhance your resume, you're doing it for the wrong reasons, and it will be reflected in your work. Volunteer because you see something that needs to be done that would otherwise go undone. I think that's also a good litmus test as to whether a job should be paid or not.

If you're volunteering because you are trying to enhance your resume, you're doing it for the wrong reasons, and it will be reflected in your work. Volunteer because you see something that needs to be done that would otherwise go undone. I think that's also a good litmus test as to whether a job should be paid or not.

Problem is this...

If I don't volunteer, my résumé doesn't stand out... therefore, it's something I have to do to get looked at.

Also, what about donating money / buying girl scout cookies? Does donating get looked at in the same manner?

If you are a hiring manager, and you see a guy who volunteers and a guy who doesn't, why would you pick the guy who doesn't, with all other items on the résumé being equal...

Perhaps participating with something without an expectation of a tangible return. Like buying girl scout cookies wouldn't look all too good on an application.

Perhaps participating with something without an expectation of a tangible return. Like buying girl scout cookies wouldn't look all too good on an application.

Exactly. Donation is worthless for an application is what I'm getting at.

I just love that there is not a right answer to this. Do no volunteerism and be told "well you don't have it on your app so it's not as strong," but be also told that if you are looking at getting into it to help strengthen your app, you aren't doing it for the right reason.

The Girl Scout cookies thing was a terrible example but it proved my point. Unless your donation reaches Bill Gates' level, it's not going to be factored into consideration as a thing that contributes to your community.

Do something to differentiate yourself from the other 10,000 applications on file.

Of course, nothing that requires a GPS anklet, but be creative.

There are always organizations that could use some more volunteers, And as previously stated it isn't too difficult to find something you feel strongly about and will be happy to do. Think about it, Big Sisters/Brothers, Meals on Wheels, Habitat for humanity, maybe work with a group that helps older people on a fixed income with home repairs/yard work. There are many ways to make a difference in your community.

How have other folks listed volunteer stuff on airlineapps? There certainly isn't a good spot for it, just curious if and how anyone has listed it.

Exactly. Donation is worthless for an application is what I'm getting at.

I just love that there is not a right answer to this. Do no volunteerism and be told "well you don't have it on your app so it's not as strong," but be also told that if you are looking at getting into it to help strengthen your app, you aren't doing it for the right reason.

Volunteer because it's something you can do; because it's something you feel passionate about, because it's a need that would otherwise go unfilled; not because you are trying to check a box on an application. Obviously you are passionate about airplanes, so...go volunteer at an aviation museum, or the Civil Air Patrol, or your local airport host service.

Volunteer because it's something you can do; because it's something you feel passionate about, because it's a need that would otherwise go unfilled; not because you are trying to check a box on an application. Obviously you are passionate about airplanes, so...go volunteer at an aviation museum, or the Civil Air Patrol, or your local airport host service.

If volunteer work were always TRULY about volunteerism, it wouldn't be a résumé enhancer, it wouldn't be a box to check, or a topic of conversation during an interview to differentiate candidates.

Anyway, I get the feeling that basically any volunteer work is good volunteer work (résumé-wise).

Also, what about donating money / buying girl scout cookies? Does donating get looked at in the same manner?

Is this really a thread? There is no box to check on airlineapps because you are supposed to change your login name to ibuyzgirlscoutcookiesandgivemyoldclothestogoodwillgivemejob. I'm pretty sure any decent hiring managers job is to hire somebody with competitive experience who can be vouched for internally while sniffing out the crap.

I find the volunteer mention on a résumé or application to be interesting. If I was a hiring manager, I wouldn't have had a second thought seeing something like that cross my desk. It's words on paper to me. Maybe it would mean more if I actually have met the particular candidate.

What airline asks for volunteer work? I've never seen that on any application for an airline.

Back