Volunteer Opportunities.... Created Equal?

[quote="Rocketman99, post: 2178754, member: 3208". Then again, my opinion and ten bucks gets you a latte at Starbucks so who knows.

What the hell kind of latte are you getting if it costs that much?

Beats me, I don't actually order lattes or patronize Starbucks. :) One coffee strong and black please (I can already see the responses coming...)

Not like I am some kind of a sage or anything, but I would recommend volunteering for something that has some sincerity attached to it...First, of all you will get more personal reward from it, and anything that you do that is disingenuous will be apparent to a recruiter or interviewer.

Not like I am some kind of a sage or anything, but I would recommend volunteering for something that has some sincerity attached to it...First, of all you will get more personal reward from it, and anything that you do that is disingenuous will be apparent to a recruiter or interviewer.

This has been mentioned numerous times the last couple weeks here. What are the odds that the one thing you need to get an interview is volunteer work and it just so happens you did it only to pad your your app and/or resume AND when you get to the interview only THEN it is obvious and it ends your day? That's a lot of things happening all at the same time, which smells of people gathering generalities and turning them into fear. I'm using my brain on this one. Volunteerism = good. Not being real = not as good. Chances are, if anyone is faking volunteer work, they might have other problems, anyway. I'm trying to think of a word to describe these condescending conversations we tend to have when talking about what makes a good candidate. Can't find anything better than...condescending, maybe?

Pilot A: "I hear I need to be a classically trained concert pianist to get on with NotGonnaGetHereJet"

The Masses: "Yup! You didn't hear?"

Pilot A: "Never heard of it. Why is that?"

Pilot B: "It's just something someone in recruiting really likes. No worries. If you can get it on your application, you might get a call, quicker!"

The Masses: "NO NO NO! You needed it yesterday! You're not real! You're screwed, Bra!!!111"

Anybody here volunteer with Angel Flight or Pilots n Paws? I'd like to think I can swing a sole ownership or majority stake in an airplane someday, and volunteering with it is something I want to do.

Back