Volunteer Opportunities.... Created Equal?

What airline asks for volunteer work? I've never seen that on any application for an airline.

I'll back up cencal here. It's been mentioned at several job fairs, specifically at the last WIA career fair and others that United and Delta recruiters have asked about volunteer work and giving back to community. I believe I also saw something along the lines on the American App.

Is this really a thread? Why yes it is.

@skyw82 : American Airlines asks for it, Alaska Airlines asks for it (also smoker vs non-smoker).

It's highly rumored that volunteerism factors into the DAL hiring process.

I volunteer at a local homeless shelter two nights a month as an over night chaperone of sorts. I also donate all my unused shampoos and soaps from hotels on the road as well. I started doing it to enhance my resume but I continue to do it now because it makes me feel good to help others. I use the quiet time to study, read, pay bills, and reading JC. It's an easy way to volunteer and help make someone else's life a little better. Not to mention the staff is super flexible with my crazy work schedule.

Volunteer: "To perform or offer to perform a service of one's own free will."
"To do charitable or helpful work without pay"

This is a really sad and pathetic thread. Volunteer work should be done for the sole purpose of contributing to society NOT to boost your resume. Fact is there should never be a spot on an application for volunteer work. IF you do it for the right reasons you can list it on your resume but that is not what will ultimately get you the job.

Pilots truly are some of the most self-centered individuals.

Volunteer: "To perform or offer to perform a service of one's own free will."
"To do charitable or helpful work without pay"

This is a really sad and pathetic thread. Volunteer work should be done for the sole purpose of contributing to society NOT to boost your resume. Fact is there should never be a spot on an application for volunteer work. IF you do it for the right reasons you can list it on your resume but that is not what will ultimately get you the job.

Pilots truly are some of the most self-centered individuals.

Thanks man. Please tell me that again with a smile on your face as I offer to grab you a drink at NJC :)

The thing of it is - is it the new "Bachelor's Degree" of something to separate oneself as a candidate. It would truly be a shame not to be offered a job because I don't have the time to donate to a worthy cause. Therefore, it is something that we "have" to do.

And - if it is not a résumé "booster", please tell me that if you were asked the question "do you volunteer", that YOU would tell them "I prefer not to answer the question", so that it doesn't factor into the hiring decision. You, also, if you volunteer, never "volunteer" ;) this information on your own via a résumé or during the "what do you like to do in your free time".

Honest answers now...

I find the volunteer mention on a résumé or application to be interesting. If I was a hiring manager, I wouldn't have had a second thought seeing something like that cross my desk. It's words on paper to me. Maybe it would mean more if I actually have met the particular candidate.

My thoughts exactly. I've just hired a couple of new employees, and I see this volunteer stuff on a lot of resumes. I paid absolutely zero attention to it. I don't care what you do for your community. I care what you're going to do for my business. And that's all about your skills and qualifications.

That said, it seems that some airlines are now using this as their latest weeding-out tool. So people now need to check off another box to get that coveted major airline job. I think it's absurd, but if you want the gig, you've got to check off the boxes that they want checked.

Thanks man. Please tell me that again with a smile on your face as I offer to grab you a drink at NJC :)

The thing of it is - is it the new "Bachelor's Degree" of something to separate oneself as a candidate. It would truly be a shame not to be offered a job because I don't have the time to donate to a worthy cause. Therefore, it is something that we "have" to do.

And - if it is not a résumé "booster", please tell me that if you were asked the question "do you volunteer", that YOU would tell them "I prefer not to answer the question", so that it doesn't factor into the hiring decision. You, also, if you volunteer, never "volunteer" ;) this information on your own via a résumé or during the "what do you like to do in your free time".

Honest answers now...

I'll gladly accept that beer! Does that count as charitable work that you could put on your resume?;)

I am not saying that it is something you should hide or try to be smug about if asked. The OP is looking to do this only for their own advancement with hopes that they will have an upper edge over other pilots. I volunteer with various charities BUT I did this way before flying and I NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, started volunteering my time to help those that are less fortunate just so that down the road it might help me get a job.

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

To many???..................;)

That's more like it ;)

You never know - it could be the catalyst for something you didn't think you had the capacity or will to do.

Today's "poor reason" for being a volunteer becomes tomorrow's "great reason" as you realize that it's a lot of fun and rewarding to boot.

Yes, I'm behind the 8 ball on that baby.

Every job fair I went to this year cared a lot more about my life outside of work, especially volunteer work. That being said - I think it wouldn't be hard to differentiate an applicant that is doing it to "check the box" versus one who is heavily involved, and looking to altruistically better his/her community.

P.S. - I don't suggest putting down "Cookie customer" on the resume :)

Volunteer because it's something you can do; because it's something you feel passionate about, because it's a need that would otherwise go unfilled; not because you are trying to check a box on an application. Obviously you are passionate about airplanes, so...go volunteer at an aviation museum, or the Civil Air Patrol, or your local airport host service.
God almighty, did I ever tire of the (J)CSF kids in high school.

And the Commemorative Air Force always needs people who can swing wrenches.

Every job fair I went to this year cared a lot more about my life outside of work, especially volunteer work. That being said - I think it wouldn't be hard to differentiate an applicant that is doing it to "check the box" versus one who is heavily involved, and looking to altruistically better his/her community.

Sounds like HR has gotten way too involved in the process of hiring of pilots these days.

Anyone thinking about volunteering could also check into the township fire department. Other than the major cities in PA, all of the fire departments are volunteers and I do believe it is the same in NJ. You don't have to be a fire fighter (if that's not what you want to do) but can serve in another capacity. Check that out as an option.

Fortunately or unfortunately, 1000 TPIC are plenty to be had, so try and distinguish yourself in any way you can. Just realize that whatever volunteer work that you sign up for, that you are going to like what you are doing and not just for the sole interest of adding a line to the resume. This will definitely show in the type of work that you perform at that volunteer organization.

geez, I thought I got away from that crap when I got accepted into college 10 years ago.

No kidding. What a crock of anal excretion.

I was the altar boy and commentator as a kid. I spent senior year of high school working at a head start organization in my neighborhood. I served in the military for 10 years. Now you want me to go do more community service to check a box on a resume? You know what, kiss my ass (because you can totally say ass on here). Time for someone else to step up for a change.

No kidding. What a crock of anal excretion.

I was the altar boy and commentator as a kid. I spent senior year of high school working at a head start organization in my neighborhood. I served in the military for 10 years. Now you want me to go do more community service to check a box on a resume? You know what, kiss my ass (because you can totally say ass on here). Time for someone else to step up for a change.
Never ends. And now you are an alcohol disposal volunteer. Ridding the planet of this horrible toxin!

Problem is this...

If I don't volunteer, my résumé doesn't stand out... therefore, it's something I have to do to get looked at.

Also, what about donating money / buying girl scout cookies? Does donating get looked at in the same manner?

If you are a hiring manager, and you see a guy who volunteers and a guy who doesn't, why would you pick the guy who doesn't, with all other items on the résumé being equal...
Just do so something. Mentor youth away from aviation dreams. That would be very helpful in society!

You guys have it all wrong. They are looking for well rounded individuals, not box checkers. The kind of people that do volunteer work because THEY WANT TO. Don't bother doing it to fill the box because a good interviewer is going to see right through you in the first ten minutes.

Volunteer because you want to help others. Don't do it to help yourselves.

Nonsense. They're just having people check off boxes to thin the herd and make it easier on them in selecting candidates. Anything to narrow the field of 15,000 down to a few hundred candidates. Heaven forbid we base it on flying qualification. :rolleyes:

This is driven by Marketing. Every corp wants to be seen as socially responsible.

We have a legacy as a Corporate Sponsor. But to get volunteers require at least 20 with major photo ops. So, they don't want their staff to volunteer unless they can get a big photo op.

Back