Video of pilot taking down unruly passenger July 21...

Because he already assaulted one of your crew members, refused to follow your commands to sit down and behave, was intoxicated and stupid, the chance of him assaulting another pax or crew member was likely and you can bet your ass that if he had charged the open door and fallen to the ground, he'd be suing the piss out of the carrier.

Doesn't matter what size you are, you can learn to take down someone of any size, it's a matter of balance, shifting your weight, and what body parts to use in coordination to neutralize some moron and what moves to execute for each situation. A good self defense course is something everyone should take, not only to protect yourself, but others around you and to also learn some simple defensive moves. Not everyone can be reasoned with and running away is not always an option either.

Kudos to the Captain.

But just a critique, from my current profession. He should have taken off his lanyard first, unless it was a rip away. You don't want to be choked out, with your own lanyard.

But just a critique, from my current profession. He should have taken off his lanyard first, unless it was a rip away. You don't want to be choked out, with your own lanyard.
Probably a decent suggestion, really. It's just something he most likely didn't in this case, have the time to think about or execute.

Last edited:
The really scary part? He's going to put the video on Facebook!

Where's the fire ax?

Maybe, maybe not. I called for PD once during boarding at SDF because two passengers were fighting ( probably over @JordanD) and it took them 12 minutes to arrive. I've also waited 13 minutes for medics in Charlotte when a passenger was having a heart attack. It happens.

I'm sure it does, but it shouldn't if your assets are adequately situated/prepared.

What does the company flight attendant manuals, SOP's, and training say about serving people alcohol? If you can cite this, then you can say that the FA is going to get in trouble. If you can not, then you are just guessing and making unfounded accusations.

14CFR 121.575 trumps any FAM. Read it. She served him three Jack and Cokes. He was drunk after the second one. The flight was only an hour and 15 minutes.

Edit to add:. Just to be clear, I didn't say that she should lose her job. I said she probably will.

Last edited:
14CFR 121.575 trumps any FAM. Read it. She served him three Jack and Cokes. He was drunk after the second one. The flight was only an hour and 15 minutes.

Edit to add:. Just to be clear, I didn't say that she should lose her job. I said she probably will.

Eh...I can drink three in a flight and not be visibly drunk. Unless he was doing this stuff before she gave him another one she'll be fine.

Eh...I can drink three in a flight and not be visibly drunk. Unless he was doing this stuff before she gave him another one she'll be fine.

Maybe. But she'll have to do a carpet dance for sure. She needs to chose her next words very carefully. Especially at a regional airline.

Edit: Remind me never to have a drinking game with you.

I always had a strong that that if something like this ever needed happened, the company would not have the backs of the crews. I guess now we'll find out.

Maybe. But she'll have to do a carpet dance for sure. She needs to chose her next words very carefully. Especially at a regional airline.

Edit: Remind me never to have a drinking game with you.

No regulations whether on a plane or in a bar ever have to do with quantity, because like others have mentioned, we all are affected by different amounts. I have been surprised by friends who were totally fine and after another drink are suddenly unfun drunks. It has been stated that the PSA FA is undergoing physical therapy as a result of an injury from the confrontation. I assume it's from her arm/shoulder being pushed back. It's safe to say she still has a job. That guy, a cook, does not, but he just got engaged. Lucky girl. ;)

"Colón said that it took about 15 to 20 minutes for the police to arrive"

That's some bull*

I'd suspect the time stamps might show a lesser response time, as participant perception isn't especially accurate; it takes longer than people generally understand, and what that time "feels like" - even in an urban setting.

What was the source of call, cell or landline? Could stressed callers provide a clear, immediate location? Even a flight number and airline from a passenger might not give hugely accurate information if they don't know (for sure) specific terminal and gate information. Landline call from a gate agent, dispatch or flight operations if contacted by a crew member, or from the jetway, may include a more generic location, depending on how it's set-up, that must be determined through the phone interview. While there may be a patrol or two in the terminal, they have to get to the gate from wherever they are when dispatched (which could be several minutes away). Depending upon local protocol for a physical fight/assault/dispute, a second patrol may have to arrive for intervention to occur.

Frankly, even if the fifteen minute timeframe WERE accurate (again, based on timestamps, not perception), it's not extreme depending on how the call was received, a possible need to verify specific location without ANI/ALI address and vague callers, and the point from which responding patrols came.

In terms of Fire/EMS, the caller will almost ALWAYS be the first person on the scene of an emergency. It pays, often well, to practice fire safety and to know basic first aid/CPR/Heimlich. The intelligent/trained difference you can make in the first few minutes of an emergency can have a huge impact on both survival and property damage. Conversely, both "guessing" and doing nothing can send a redeemable situation all to hell during those same first few minutes.

Maybe, maybe not. I called for PD once during boarding at SDF because two passengers were fighting ( probably over @JordanD) and it took them 12 minutes to arrive. I've also waited 13 minutes for medics in Charlotte when a passenger was having a heart attack. It happens.

Reminds me of having a medical going into JFK.

Asked for an expedited approach because we had a passenger having breathing difficulties. They demanded that we declare an emergency for priority handling and to also to summon medical personnel, speed of heat on the arrival (yes, above 250 below 10,000 for a period of time, @Seggy! :) ) land, straight to the gate and waited another 15 minutes for airport paramedics to arrive after declaring almost an hour previous.

Woo.

A Life Aloft said:
Doesn't matter what size you are, you can learn to take down someone of any size, it's a matter of balance, shifting your weight, and what body parts to use in coordination to neutralize some moron and what moves to execute for each situation. A good self defense course is something everyone should take, not only to protect yourself, but others around you and to also learn some simple defensive moves. Not everyone can be reasoned with and running away is not always an option either.

In general yes you are right you can learn to take someone down. But I wouldn't count on few hours of practicing at some course being the only training you're going to need to take someone to the ground.

It sucks when there is the need, no doubt. I would guess that at any given time of day JFK has the population of a small to medium city (tens to a hundred thousand?) people (passengers, staff, family members, etc) on the ground in the immediate response area of the airport paramedics (if such are dedicated), without taking into account inbound emergencies. EMS crews, even dedicated to the facility, can't just abandon a patient once contact has been without transferring care to an appropriate other provider, even if the first injury is of less priority than the inbound emergency.

Were the requested medical resources prior-committed? Was there a mechanical issue that slowed the response, or an emergency on their own responding crew, so another one (more distant) had to be sent? It happens, unfortunately.

Many on this website are property-owners who pay taxes for a range of public services, from administrative/governmental through police/fire/EMS and a host in-between. The balancing act between income and expense generally comes at the expense of public safety, rather than administrative support services. Who wants to pay more for increased staffing against the need it will be THEIR loved one or property at risk? It's a crap shoot, honestly, more often than most people realize.

It may be safer for a community to field three (or three hundred) cops per shift, but two (or two hundred) can usually handle the need. Six medics at the airport may provide a quicker response or redundancy when need exists, but four are less expensive and usually sufficient. Volunteers need time after dispatch to get to the rigs and then drive to the scene, but paid staff in sufficient numbers cost tax dollars no one really wants to pay until it's THEIR house on fire.

Unfortunately, the exact time of your emergency COULD be the moment the nearest timely resource is already committed to someone else's need.

I think it was about 0530 in the morning on a redeye from Vegas.

But everyone lived so I largely am just barking at the doorbell.

There is a policy in CLT that if you call for EMS or Police on ramp frequency (which are Piedmont folks), or a gate agent calls for assistance, or anyone else associated with Piedmont, a Piedmont supervisor must come out and see what is going on. Then, after the supervisor determines if Police or EMS are actually required, they call them. Cardiac Arrest in the jet bridge or in the terminal, you must wait 15 minutes for the PDT supervisor to come out and see what is going on, and then they call for the Paramedics (which are always in the airport). Fuel spilling onto the ramp, same thing.

Anyone that has been in CLT for any amount of time has witnessed this, and will call the FAA (call on ground or tower freq.) and request that they roll the trucks and add an ambulance for a medical emergency, or just that they need law enforcement ASAP. They will roll assistance immediately.

Back