Bandit_Driver
Gold Member
it is movember
So, forgive me for being uninformed, but how is the determination made on what seat you're sitting in? Obviously there is different training involved for the respective seats. Once assigned to the back seat, are you forevermore relegated to back seat duties? Is there potential to move to the front seat in the future should you desire it? Conversely, not that you'd want to do so, but can you move from front seat to back?
Thanks for the education!
For the AF, the "odds" of you going into specific seats are made by your commissioning source, timing/needs of the AF, and how your packet looks. My OTS board had 9 pilot slots out of 62 "rated" slots. Rated means that you're going to fly as an officer as an A) Pilot B) Combat Systems Officer C) Air Battle Manager D) Remote Piloted Aircraft Pilot. Our overall OTS rated board had 1200 applicants for 62 slots. One of the dudes that got a pilot slot in my OTS flight actually had a PhD in Astrophysics and had been researching in anti-matter propulsion for quite some time... great guy actually. He ended up going to C-17s and just spoke at WIRED in London on the future of Anti-Matter propulsion as he has a company that is developing it..
If you do go to the F-15E, you'll then go to a wash out program called "Introduction to Fighter Fundamentals" where you integrate into the fighter community. At IFF you leave the dreaded "CSO" title behind and become a "WSO"..
Mine was 3 pilot slots out of 74 total candidates, the rest being non-rated. Managed to get a slot with a non-tech degree and a 2.6 GPA. And still flew the 117. The other two guys, who finished #1 and #2 at OTS (I was #72), both washed out of Sheppard.
That's what I hear.....the CSO term being hated, hence my using the classic nomenclature. There were no so-called D-track people at LIFT/IFF when I was there.
Might be a community to community thing
I know the U-28 guys I worked with were beside themselves to make sure they included their title "Siso" in everything.
Mine was 3 pilot slots out of 74 total candidates, the rest being non-rated. Managed to get a slot with a non-tech degree and a 2.6 GPA. And still flew the 117. The other two guys, who finished #1 and #2 at OTS (I was #72), both washed out of Sheppard.
That's what I hear.....the CSO term being hated, hence my using the classic nomenclature. There were no so-called D-track people at LIFT/IFF when I was there.
Combined Undergraduate Navigator Training,
The only reason *to* do it is to let the back seater do something cool, which, unfortunately, isn't usually a valid reason in a combat vehicle.