Vegetable Gardens, sharing tips and what you are planting.

Re: Vegetable Gardens, sharing tips and what you are plantin

I found this neat calendar where A guy in LA has his garden all planned out. I am going to start following it down here in O-town to see what happens. Makes it easier than researching everything (which I don't have time for).

http://www.thebayougardener.com/calendar-2011.htm

Thats pretty nifty.

I was gonna get all of my large tomato plants in the ground today since I am home but it looks like strong storms and rain for the next 48 hours... YAY... Guess I Will be finding something else to do today...

well, i'm not going to be doing anything with my garden for a bit....and here's why...

219958_2012382233439_1360265977_2323561_7940737_o.jpg

Those are quail eggs in my mint container.

Now the only major issue i have with it is that i just erected the fence around the garden...how in the world is momma gonna get those babies out of there? are they going to eat up my garden once they hatch? geez, i hope not.

oh and good thing i finally put the fence up...I kept wondering why this big ass bird kept getting into my netting...now i know. :p

Other than that, i had to put my broccoli to pasture today. some type of bug slimed the leaves and left eggs on the back of all 3 of my broccoli. I'll have photos up soon but it looked kinda nasty, so i chopped them.

Too bad they're fertilized else I'd probably send some over to Jace! :)

I found this neat calendar where A guy in LA has his garden all planned out. I am going to start following it down here in O-town to see what happens. Makes it easier than researching everything (which I don't have time for).

http://www.thebayougardener.com/calendar-2011.htm
ooohhh i like it! we're in the same zone...i don't know why....but this will work or me too!

well, i'm not going to be doing anything with my garden for a bit....and here's why...

View attachment 17155

Now the only major issue i have with it is that i just erected the fence around the garden...how in the world is momma gonna get those babies out of there? are they going to eat up my garden once they hatch? geez, i hope not.

oh and good thing i finally put the fence up...I kept wondering why this big ass bird kept getting into my netting...now i know. :p

Other than that, i had to put my broccoli to pasture today. some type of bug slimed the leaves and left eggs on the back of all 3 of my broccoli. I'll have photos up soon but it looked kinda nasty, so i chopped them.

They are overpopulated in this region and are decimating the grub worm population!

Another day another challenge. Cut the lawn for the first time yesterday and found 3 large ant colonies and 2 smaller ones. They appear to be carpenter ants, I am first going to try some Borax and honey mixture. That or I may just buy some ant killer, I hate these damn things!

View attachment 17155

Do you guys have slugs out there?

In other new the round up finally killed all the ivy, underbrush, and briars in my back yard... Anybody have suggestions on the best way to clear it all now... I would rather not have to take a shovel and dig it all to turn the soil

In other new the round up finally killed all the ivy, underbrush, and briars in my back yard... Anybody have suggestions on the best way to clear it all now... I would rather not have to take a shovel and dig it all to turn the soil

Rototiller?

Don't own one yet... I was hoping for other idea for now rather than renting one, I planned to buy one this fall when they go on sale at the home improvement stores.

For some of the ground ivy I simply took my lawn mower to it. it wasnt the best for the lawn mower and I need a new blade now for certain but it made it a bit easier to rake up. I then took a metal rake and was trying to get under the remains and pull it out. it was working but was taking forever, as I am sure your aware that stuff has a grip on the earth and it doesnt let go easily.

Good luck, if you find a better way post it up. Id like to get the rest of it out and get some grass seed down before the heat of summer, but I am not ready to rent the tiller yet so it is just sitting there looking terrible.

The tiller will just collect and wrap the vines around the tines. I don't recommend that method, unless you mow first.

I am gonna till it this fall when I can buy a tiller. As for now I think I am going to buy the brush butter attachment for my Husq. weedeater and burn it all. I already killed it with Roundup, just need to clear it now.

I have my annual crop of mint going strong:

IMG_9819.jpg

This year I added Roma tomatoes in a TopsyTurvy container:

IMG_9817.jpg

So, essentially, I'm growing mojitos and bruschetta. It's looking like it's gonna be a pretty good summer. :D

I planted a banana.

I don't know if you can grow banana trees from bananas, but I will let you know.

Getting closer and closer to being able to plant. I cant wait to be able to walk out back and grab a tomato when needed instead of running to a store.

When growing zucchini, cucumber and egg plant do you use a trellis so they climb or do you just let them grow across the ground?

Getting closer and closer to being able to plant. I cant wait to be able to walk out back and grab a tomato when needed instead of running to a store.

When growing zucchini, cucumber and egg plant do you use a trellis so they climb or do you just let them grow across the ground?

My eggplant plants where stand-alone bushes last year. I guess I did not fertilize enought, though, because I only got one eggplant. Maybe with more fruit, I would have needed a spike or a small trellis.

I haven't ever successfully grown zucchini or cukes.

Back