Vegetable Gardens, sharing tips and what you are planting.

Odd story...

So today my wife tests the soil in the backyard garden and informs me that we need to pick up nutrients for the soil. We walk into the local nursery and she reads off her list to the employee. "I would like 22 ounces of nitrogen at 21%, 16 ounces of phosphate at 18%...."

Were you driving a Ryder Truck? If so the FBI may be calling. Ethnicity is not a get out of jail free card, Timothy McVeigh was as white as it gets.

You can find fertilizers in differing ratios or you can find different things that leave different elements in the soil. Or you can go hydroponic and just add water.

So here's my question. The Ferry-Morse soil test instructs the gardener to add chemicals that you apparently need a special license to acquire. If I can't obtain the ingredients recommended by Ferry-Morse, what's the best alternative?

Btw, I'll be calling Ferry-Morse tomorrow for their recommendation.

You probably just need a complete fertilizer, such as 13-13-13. The numbers are just percents of nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium that the blend contains; the remainder is typically inert or filler.

The test may also say to add lime. This is always good, but best to add in the Fall.

Anything else the test says to add is likely a trace mineral, which likely is not as important as the prior 2.

I appreciate the suggestions. We stopped by another nursery today and my wife was able to get everything she needed. The problem is, now I'm looking into planting a fig tree and I have little experience with fruit trees. I suppose I was due for learning something new anyway.

Most fertilizers you can buy at your local hardware store are percentages of three things, each represented by a number. Nitrogen, Phosphate, and potash. Check this website out. http://www.ncagr.gov/cyber/kidswrld/plant/label.htm

It explains how to figure exactly how much of each chemical you are getting in each bag of fertilizer. Just find the one that matches your needs the closest and you are done. Thats a funny story about your wife.

I appreciate the suggestions. We stopped by another nursery today and my wife was able to get everything she needed. The problem is, now I'm looking into planting a fig tree and I have little experience with fruit trees. I suppose I was due for learning something new anyway.
Don't plant any trees until the fall. The roots grow in the fall and if you plant now you will spend the entire summer soaking it everyday to keep it alive.

With the unseasonably warm weather we have been having I am thinking about getting an early start on my lawn renovation.

What method would you, anyone, suggested as far as replenishing a yard that has been neglected for over 10 years? I have two areas where large trees were removed that I need to fill and grade, the back yard is very bumpy from years of grubs attracting ground moles and tree roots collapsing from the removed trees. The front yard I have a carpenter ant infestation which I have been battling individual nests, but cant find the source. I think it is one of the large trees, but I cant tell for sure. I also have more crab grass than real grass, not an issue since it is an annual so I can put preemergent down and it should take care of most of it this season. But the bigger issue are the weeds, many different kinds, I used a broad weed killer last year and it didnt seem to have any effect. Thinking the soil is so bad that it is giving them super powers ha.

My plan is to first test the PH, bought a kit from Home Depot. Going to fill and grade the tree spots. Then ill put down the required fertilizer, weed killer and some grub killer. I'll follow all that up with a double or triple pass with an aerator. My hope is aerating will pull dirt from the high spots and they will collapse and bring the ground into level. I am going to buy a section of chain link fence and drag that around the yard afterward to pull the plugs into the low spots. After a month or so, should still be "spring" I will seed.

Ants, well short of cutting down all the trees I am not sure.

Thoughts?

if it loses its leaves in the winter its not a good idea, In the fall as it gets cooler the sap in the tree goes to the roots and the plant works on growing tap roots and entire systems off of them. In the summer all of the growth is concentrated on the parts of the plant above ground. If it doesn't have a good and deep root system it will kill it unless you give it a good soaking everyday.
What is it's a fig bush instead of a fig tree?

With the unseasonably warm weather we have been having I am thinking about getting an early start on my lawn renovation.

What method would you, anyone, suggested as far as replenishing a yard that has been neglected for over 10 years? I have two areas where large trees were removed that I need to fill and grade, the back yard is very bumpy from years of grubs attracting ground moles and tree roots collapsing from the removed trees. The front yard I have a carpenter ant infestation which I have been battling individual nests, but cant find the source. I think it is one of the large trees, but I cant tell for sure. I also have more crab grass than real grass, not an issue since it is an annual so I can put preemergent down and it should take care of most of it this season. But the bigger issue are the weeds, many different kinds, I used a broad weed killer last year and it didnt seem to have any effect. Thinking the soil is so bad that it is giving them super powers ha.

My plan is to first test the PH, bought a kit from Home Depot. Going to fill and grade the tree spots. Then ill put down the required fertilizer, weed killer and some grub killer. I'll follow all that up with a double or triple pass with an aerator. My hope is aerating will pull dirt from the high spots and they will collapse and bring the ground into level. I am going to buy a section of chain link fence and drag that around the yard afterward to pull the plugs into the low spots. After a month or so, should still be "spring" I will seed.

Ants, well short of cutting down all the trees I am not sure.

Thoughts?

I am going through the same thing right now, first question is what kind of grass do you have, and if there is not really that much what kind would you like to grow. The you can develop a plan for that. Another thing you can do to help your grass grow is to aerate your lawn. A lot of the weeds that infest lawns like hard ground and only grow in a spot because it doesn't have to fight with grasses. If it is REALLY bad you can always just spray round up on your entire yard, till it all under, and reseed. There is a lot of labor involved but at least you could start fresh.

Anyone have bee hives? So far 100% of hives that I know of in Denver died this winter. (8 out of 8). We had only one and it was incredibly healthy last season and we saw a few flying around just a few weeks ago. Have no idea what happened.

Just curious if anyone else has lost any. We're pretty amateur beekeepers so I can't say I'm totally surprised, but a guy that has been doing it for years lost all 5 of his.

I am going through the same thing right now, first question is what kind of grass do you have, and if there is not really that much what kind would you like to grow. The you can develop a plan for that. Another thing you can do to help your grass grow is to aerate your lawn. A lot of the weeds that infest lawns like hard ground and only grow in a spot because it doesn't have to fight with grasses. If it is REALLY bad you can always just spray round up on your entire yard, till it all under, and reseed. There is a lot of labor involved but at least you could start fresh.

I have a mix, some Zoisa, some Fescue and some others which I am sure came from random mixes bought by the previous owner.

I am going to grow Tall Fescue, I think with the traffic the area will get, the sun, climate and soil type it will be the best suited for continued healthy growth.

After talking to one of the associates at the local lawn store I decided to first put down a round of crabgrass pre-emergent/post emergent (handles what may have grown in the last week only). It also is a root broad leaf killer so it should help clear the lawn. also is a 19-0-6 fertilizer so it should help keep the good grass alive if it gets cold again. In about 6 weeks I am going to aerate, it will still be spring growing season. Going to get 5 yards of top soil and place it in the low spots and drag the yard. Then I'll seed/starter fertilize, aerate and drag again.

Not sure what to do with the zoisa yet, since that stuff is super invasive and I'd need to basically hit it with ground clear to remove it. It's only in the back yard so I can deal with it for now, maybe next season Ill tackle that, I just want a nice lawn this summer.

I love doing this stuff. Watching the transformation, making your house look nice. Feels good knowing you did the work and didn't just spend a bunch of money. Although I wouldn't mind having the bunch of money to help cover the costs ha.

Thanks and have fun!

Coffee grounds for nitrogen...you should be able to buy some phosphate at any nursery, i would think....or use fish emulsion, i think.

I love Zosia! It is a really expensive grass that is super green and thick, but it is definitely a warm weather grass, goes brown when it gets cool. As far as killing it, I am not sure. I am a little angry with Home Depot now. Ordered an Aerator from them online, the larger size I wanted wasn't available at the store, and it was supposed to take a week for processing and delivery. Its been almost two now and because it is shipped from an outside vendor there is nothing HD can do. If I can't get the bermuda to take off by the middle of the summer and fill in the weed and bare spots I am going to over seed with fescue as well. Its doesn't stand for traffic as well as bermuda but it will tolerate the shady areas. What do you use to drag your lawn? I am hoping that going over the lawn a few times with the aerator kick up enough top soil to help the new seed grow.

I love Zosia! It is a really expensive grass that is super green and thick, but it is definitely a warm weather grass, goes brown when it gets cool. As far as killing it, I am not sure. I am a little angry with Home Depot now. Ordered an Aerator from them online, the larger size I wanted wasn't available at the store, and it was supposed to take a week for processing and delivery. Its been almost two now and because it is shipped from an outside vendor there is nothing HD can do. If I can't get the bermuda to take off by the middle of the summer and fill in the weed and bare spots I am going to over seed with fescue as well. Its doesn't stand for traffic as well as bermuda but it will tolerate the shady areas. What do you use to drag your lawn? I am hoping that going over the lawn a few times with the aerator kick up enough top soil to help the new seed grow.

Yeah, that is why I dont like the Zoisa, all winter it is brown. Great in the summer, thick green and can handle the traffic, but I hate it being brown.

Thats one of the reasons I chose the fescue, I have ample shade.

I am going to by a section of chain link fence and a fence post, tie a rope to it and do some walking. I don't have a tractor or Id hook it to that. I am thinking a 5 foot section of thicker gauge fencing will work nicely.

Hopefully HD gets their act together. Did you go with a split or single drive?

Split into 4 sections actually. I ordered an agri fab 48 inch tow plug aerator. See here. The reviews seemed like I was great for the price, I would have loved to get the Ohio Steel Aerator they sell but I can't justify that kind of money for my half acre. We will see how this works when I finally get it. Let me know how dragging works with the chain link. I think that would work great as a dethacher too.

This is my first go at a garden, and I've got an affinity for peppers. From Ghost Peppers (Bhut Jolokia) to Bells. We have a Serrano (I think?) that I THINK? is ripe, but I'm not sure. Any input on how to tell if a pepper is ripe would be appreciated. I'm uploading a pic, and will post it in an edit.

This is my first go at a garden, and I've got an affinity for peppers. From Ghost Peppers (Bhut Jolokia) to Bells. We have a Serrano (I think?) that I THINK? is ripe, but I'm not sure. Any input on how to tell if a pepper is ripe would be appreciated. I'm uploading a pic, and will post it in an edit.
If they are a good size and the right color. Peppers can be picked as small or almost as large as you want them, though the smaller they are the more heat and flavor they will have, don't get carried away though, you want to have something there before you pick it. If the peppers start to "harden" you will notice discolorations or in the case of jalapeno peppers, woody looking lines up and down the pepper you have waited to long. They are still good but need to be picked ASAP.

Status update on mine, After aerating and reseeding with bermuda, plus ironite, lime, and 34-0-0 the two patches of beautiful grass I have in the front lawn are finally stating to grow together, next step is coaxing it to grow down the side of the house where there is not as much sunlight, about 5 hours a day instead of 8+. As far as the garden goes with me working and the new baby overdue to arrive, my wife and I decided on a hassle free garden this year. SWEET POTATOES!!! and the first round of shoots are in. Second to go in a a couple of weeks. Basil is also in the ground and should be ready to start picking leave from in a couple of weeks. Here to Pesto and sweet potato stocks

If they are a good size and the right color. Peppers can be picked as small or almost as large as you want them, though the smaller they are the more heat and flavor they will have, don't get carried away though, you want to have something there before you pick it. If the peppers start to "harden" you will notice discolorations or in the case of jalapeno peppers, woody looking lines up and down the pepper you have waited to long. They are still good but need to be picked ASAP.

Status update on mine, After aerating and reseeding with bermuda, plus ironite, lime, and 34-0-0 the two patches of beautiful grass I have in the front lawn are finally stating to grow together, next step is coaxing it to grow down the side of the house where there is not as much sunlight, about 5 hours a day instead of 8+. As far as the garden goes with me working and the new baby overdue to arrive, my wife and I decided on a hassle free garden this year. SWEET POTATOES!!! and the first round of shoots are in. Second to go in a a couple of weeks. Basil is also in the ground and should be ready to start picking leave from in a couple of weeks. Here to Pesto and sweet potato stocks

Great info! Thanks mucho!

lol, I read the first 7 pages of this thing before I realized this was all happening last year!

I'm going to attempt to upload a photo of this year's garden. It's about a month old. We live in Central Missouri. I planted early this year, because the weather was just so darn beautiful! The tomatoes are on the left, zucchini on the right, and not visible are cucumbers behind the zucchini next to the fence. Currently, the tomatoes are about 6 feet tall and the last time I was home (3 days ago), I found my first zucchini!! The tomatoes - Early girl, yellow boy, and JetStar. They're all hybrids, because I kept killing my heirlooms.

I will admit that I really don't know what I'm doing, I just sort of plant seeds, water, and hope for the best.

Sweet Cheeks is kind enough to take care of the garden when I'm away. Every time I come home from a multi-day trip, (after hugging and kissing Sweet Cheeks, of course), I run to the garden to see how my "children" have grown. How are all your gardens doing this year?

Attachments

• garden.jpg
    garden.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 274
Anyone ever save sweet potato shoots after the summer growing season, reroot them, and plant them as a house plant until the next spring so you get a head start on planting. Thinking about trying it when I dig mine up next week

Back