Vegetable Gardens, sharing tips and what you are planting.

Re: Vegetable Gardens, sharing tips and what you are plantin

Or an oven, I've never done it but I've read about it.

Or an oven, I've never done it but I've read about it.

Is the point of sterilizing your potting soil that you can re-use it?

I have never heard of it before.

If you are looking for soil to start seeds indoors with you can pick up a bag of Miracle grow garden soil from Lowe's. That's what I started mine in and they are all doing great. You can get 1 CU ft for $4 and 2CU ft for around 7. The great thing about that is it contains a mix of mulch, compost, and manuer so come transplant time the extra will only help your soil. I have never heard the microwave thing but I am sure that if you add a little water to it it would get it hot enough... I would be more concerned with the soils nutrients being depleted rather than any bacteria or fungus that may be in it.

We've tried miracle grow and scotts, but had poor results with both compared to the ferti-lome brand. I'm not big on mulch in a potting soil as it requires nitrogen to actually compost the mulch, somewhat counter-productive.

From what I've read, heating soil to 170 degrees is all that it takes to sterilize it.

Is the point of sterilizing your potting soil that you can re-use it?

I have never heard of it before.

Either that or so you don't have to buy soil for starting seeds. Having bacteria or fungus in your soil could result in very poor germination. And that is what I've experience, and am since trying to mitigate with the most cost effective means.

This year, I have one of those upside-down tomato plant thingy's (as seen on TV!).

JTspHQ7hYw0g6jWhv3s-qswbOhqelFlRVYIP2AhjCXfkn6oFrsG2QpOYlnRd422E3-Wr2hrTpqmVphS6SGgRWZR2PqmARjKy0C9CtOkjJyn1PRsf5tMFyhoem-II8MQDjRH85xN-XpkUg-5aZnw4VaHqi94hI8Um0LDyLLSsuLt9x5I0mSXrO31OI4b1Qax4K-dKZOYncKP4vNodruIbr6MwRRlGdtJuML7j59Lfk_jF2sDFQOqSC955uWfH2KBQAfbmEnHqY7yTznOT3lL734uDh76AUevsG-I

Black-eyed peas on the north side, sweet-taters in the garden with scallions and cabbage. Got Basil working and eggplant working as well as a rosemary bush. I am trying peanuts as well.

My "problem child" is a chayote--aka mirliton. Its a "low grade" squash that's prolific in Louisianna and I am having a dickens of a time getting them to grow. Here in O-town--I seem to be having better luck on the North side of the house. I am trying to grow it, because Paul Prudhomme has a couple of stuffed mirliton recipes and also, I have read that they bear so much fruit, you have trouble giving the stuff away.

I am trying to get my house so it produces enough that I can live on if need be. Its a comfortable hobby and challenge that relaxes me.

Don't get me started on mealy bugs--I hate mealy bugs--and nematodes.

edit: up the road a bit, we have a community education extension service that offers canning classes now an then and I am interested in that as well.

I think we would all like to know how that topsy turvey tomato thing works out... I am a skeptic...

With the Miracle grow is only has a scmall amount of mulch in it compared to compost and other ingredients including time released fertilizers. I don't think the amount of nitrogen required to decompose the mulch in the little time it will take for the seeds to germinate would be an issue. Once the plants transplanted in the ground I usually mulch around them with a wood mulch as a weed control. I don't get a lot of time to get out and weed being gone so much, and it makes for good fertilizer when it gets tilled in at the end of the year. Once the plants are growing you don't need as much nitrogen anyway, it will actually decrease fruit production becasue it the plants will try and grow more leaves. In addition to the weed control the mulch helps to keep the soil at just the right moisture level so watering when I am gone is not as much of an issue.
That all being said at the end of the year when I till the mulch under I usually put an all purpose fertilizer that is heavy on the nitrogen in the mix too. I am thinking of growing winter rye grass on the garden plot this winter and tilling that under in the spring next year. I don't know if it will help anything or not but it can't hurt.

Anybody have a good way of composting oak leaves fast? I have tried to mix them in with other compost in addition to composting them with grass clippings and on there own after mulching them... They are always the last ones to go, I hear it has to do with the tanic acid in them but I was wondering if there is a way to get around that.

Yeah the tomatoes need sun until 5 or 6 pm, unless you are in an area where is gets down right hot... They will still live and produce with less, you just won't see as many. I wouldn't worry about soil being stripped of nutrients... While you till keep an eye out for earthworms, if you see them thats a good sign, the more the better. I try and till in a generic fertilizer like 10-10-10 or 13-13-13 in addition to coattle manuer if I can get my hands on a bunch of it for free. I would also get in touch with your local ag extension service, I know in my county they will test your soil for $7. Since you are in PHL it will be another month or so until you can transplant your plants outside. That gives you plenty of time to get the results back of what nutrients may be missing and on if your soil is acidic or basic. 6.8 is perfect for all the plants most people grow.

I know Ivy will take a lot of nutrients out of the soil but Rhodo usually needs pretty good soil, thats why you see them all over the place in Europe anywhere there is peat moss.

Let us no what you do man!

Great, thanks! I was out there today cutting down the rest of the bushes and cleaning up the years worth of leaves and other debris that has accumulated. The sun was on the area until 3, hopefully with summer coming that will go further into the day.

The soil seems ok, but I will try and get it tested. I found a cooperative that will test for a small fee, and also will provide direction based on the results.

First step is getting the stumps out and tilling the ground. Then have to work on some fencing to keep the animals out.

Any other suggestions on easy to grow veggies? I dont have a ton of time to devote to the growing, which is why I like tomatoes. I will be growing in a space thats up against the house and about 15x15. So the back side will have shade a bit sooner than the front part where I plan to put the tomatoes.

I tried the topsy turvey thing...it didn't work for me. for one, just not enough water and i had to fill it everyday...then the wind took it a few times and it either fell or all the water toppled out.

i wish we had earthworms in our soil but we don't :(

If you are looking for soil to start seeds indoors with you can pick up a bag of Miracle grow garden soil from Lowe's. That's what I started mine in and they are all doing great. You can get 1 CU ft for $4 and 2CU ft for around 7. The great thing about that is it contains a mix of mulch, compost, and manuer so come transplant time the extra will only help your soil. I have never heard the microwave thing but I am sure that if you add a little water to it it would get it hot enough... I would be more concerned with the soils nutrients being depleted rather than any bacteria or fungus that may be in it.
yea...i would be concerned about nutrients being depleted with a nuker like that.

If you're looking to get the salt out of the soil...simply wash it with a water and then let it dry out enough to use for planting. I made the mistake of not letting it dry enough and killed a basil i stuck in there. :(

Great, thanks! I was out there today cutting down the rest of the bushes and cleaning up the years worth of leaves and other debris that has accumulated. The sun was on the area until 3, hopefully with summer coming that will go further into the day.

The soil seems ok, but I will try and get it tested. I found a cooperative that will test for a small fee, and also will provide direction based on the results.

First step is getting the stumps out and tilling the ground. Then have to work on some fencing to keep the animals out.

Any other suggestions on easy to grow veggies? I dont have a ton of time to devote to the growing, which is why I like tomatoes. I will be growing in a space thats up against the house and about 15x15. So the back side will have shade a bit sooner than the front part where I plan to put the tomatoes.
how do you think you'll get your stumps out of the ground? i have a few i want to remove but not sure how to accomplish such a task without calling in $$$ experts.

how do you think you'll get your stumps out of the ground? i have a few i want to remove but not sure how to accomplish such a task without calling in $$$ experts.

TNT?

I am digging trenches around each one, chopping up the larger roots then waiting. Its supposed to rain this week and its the first time this ground has seen direct rain in many years, I am hoping it gets nice and saturated allowing me to either use a come along hooked to a larger tree to rip them out or possibly hook them to a truck hitch and tear them out.

If that doesnt work, and I sort of hope it doesnt, I am going to rent a back ho. Ive looked into a few places around here and they can be had for around 250 per day if not less depending on the size I get. That will allow me to accomplish many other chores Id like to accomplish before summer and be super fun!

I think you can also rent stump grinders from home depot for less than 200 for the day, not cheap but much less than having a tree guy come out and do it.

Have fun with it!!

I am digging trenches around each one, chopping up the larger roots then waiting. Its supposed to rain this week and its the first time this ground has seen direct rain in many years, I am hoping it gets nice and saturated allowing me to either use a come along hooked to a larger tree to rip them out or possibly hook them to a truck hitch and tear them out.

If that doesnt work, and I sort of hope it doesnt, I am going to rent a back ho. Ive looked into a few places around here and they can be had for around 250 per day if not less depending on the size I get. That will allow me to accomplish many other chores Id like to accomplish before summer and be super fun!

I think you can also rent stump grinders from home depot for less than 200 for the day, not cheap but much less than having a tree guy come out and do it.

Have fun with it!!

I am still in the process of glearing the backof my yard. My biggest problem is the briars and vines... I bought some ivy killing round up that I plan to spray when it is sunny and I am actually home. I have choped some trees down with an ax and I think if the roots are that hard to get up I am gonna by a tow chain and yank them out with my truck... we will see....

I am still in the process of glearing the backof my yard. My biggest problem is the briars and vines... I bought some ivy killing round up that I plan to spray when it is sunny and I am actually home. I have choped some trees down with an ax and I think if the roots are that hard to get up I am gonna by a tow chain and yank them out with my truck... we will see....

Yeah, I think it will take me all summer to get my yard cleaned up. I am resigning myself to the fact that the grass will have to wait until next summer. I dont think I will be able to get everything cleared out and graded before it gets past the growing season. I was going to overseed and hope for the best, but I think that will be a waste. The yard has been neglected for so long, there is moss growing in many spots from poor drainage, other spots are full of ground ivy that Ill have to kill first and will hurt germination of the seed and the rest is weeds. Also have a few spots where trees were and the previous owner removed but never filled in the large hole.

I love this stuff though, its like a blank slate we can do what we want with.

there's no way we can get a truck into the backyard to get the stumps out of our backyard...we're surrounded by block fence with a 6' (i think) fence.

I've thought about doing the same "digging trenches" concept around the stump, then taking the chain saw and cutting it lower, covering with dirt. I hear that here, in arizona, that if you just stop watering it, they stop growing but who knows where the roots are and how easily *they* might be able to find water.

we trimmed all of our shrubs and took out the icky bougainvillea (as pretty as it is, it's got rock sold 2" thorns that can really HURT and scar)...so now all of our shrubs are growing back really nicely. I need to sculpt out some of the backyard hill we have so i can level it and put in a patio area :)

I dont know if you have slug problems like we do, but putting crushed up egg shells on top of the soil works very well.

This being the first year I have started plants inside I got home from a 4 day and found about half of my tomato seedlings, mostly ones I had transplanted after thinning, were starting to turn a yellowish color. I know my wife didn't water any of them while I was gone, do you think it was the lack of water that caused it? I watered them and was home for about 12 hours before having to leave for sim in ATL, Hopefully I get to keep my job in the morning, so I don't know if the color is back yet.

could be too much nitrogen in the soil??? cuz i think nitrogen can also cause yellowing of the leaves. btw, did you ask wifey if she watered them or you just think she didn't? :p

---
an update on my garden:

I have about 6 tomato's growing in my earthbox YAY!!! but killed another basil by watering it too much just one time BOO!!...boy those things are s.e.n.s.i.t.i.v.e!! We had some fierce wind that ripped down the fencing and cages around my 3 broccoli and flat parsley...it flattened them pretty well for a while but they're starting to pop back up...altho i'm concerned about the broccoli now because they're not looking too healthy after that traumatic incident :(

could be too much nitrogen in the soil??? cuz i think nitrogen can also cause yellowing of the leaves. btw, did you ask wifey if she watered them or you just think she didn't? :p

---
an update on my garden:

I have about 6 tomato's growing in my earthbox YAY!!! but killed another basil by watering it too much just one time BOO!!...boy those things are s.e.n.s.i.t.i.v.e!! We had some fierce wind that ripped down the fencing and cages around my 3 broccoli and flat parsley...it flattened them pretty well for a while but they're starting to pop back up...altho i'm concerned about the broccoli now because they're not looking too healthy after that traumatic incident :(

Wifey told me she didn't water them and then asked me if she was supposed to... It happens... The nitrogen issue is a possibility but these plants are growing in the same soil that the plants that are doing great are in. I am anxious to see if they are any better when I get home from sim tonight.

Started putting all of my plants outside today to harden them for planting. They sat in direct sun from 8am to 4 pm and never looked stressed! I was suprised and the only the thing I can attrbute it to was that instead of being used to a grow light they were already used to the sun from the glass door they were next to. I have been saving water bottles from my trips and cut the tops of this afternoon, I am going to pull the plants back in tonight to make sure the roots can cool down and then take the huge plants still in the flats and plant them up to the lower leaves in the bottles. It will hopefully give them more soil and stem under ground for root develpment and more room for folliage growth. I think I willplant them in the garden in two weeks.

As to my previous post, the yellow leaves on the tomato plants were the seedling leaves, the rest are still green, I read somewhere last night to pluck them off and since I did the plants all look great again. I never realized those leaves eventually fall off on there own anyway. Anybody know how to tell when Garlic is ready to harvest? I planted two cloves about 6 to 8 weeks ago and don't know how to tell.

---
an update on my garden:

I would have never thought you could actually over water something in AZ

Back