US Airways Pilots Express Concern Following Publishing of FAA's New Rest Rules

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
US Airways Pilots Express Concern Following Publishing of FAA's New Rest Rules

New rules allow for increased flight time and fail to address fatigue throughout the industry
bwlogo-106x27_044533.gif
Press Release: USAPA – 4 hours ago

CHARLOTTE, N.C.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- The US Airline Pilots Association (USAPA), representing the pilots of US Airways, expresses concerns over the new FAA Flight and Duty Time rule addressing pilot crew rest. The new rule is the result of efforts to address pilot fatigue, brought to light primarily as a result of the fatal accident of Colgan Air Flight 3407 in Buffalo, NY that occurred in May 2009.
USAPA welcomes the publication of the long overdue rest rule, and acknowledges that positive steps were taken to mitigate fatigue in Wednesday’s final ruling. However, USAPA believes some areas of the rule are in conflict with the stated goal of the improving passenger safety.
In response to the release of the new rest rules, USAPA President Captain Mike Cleary stated, "The new rule demonstrates troubling inconsistencies in its application to cargo operations and, therefore, fails to meet the FAA’s stated goal of One Level of Safety. Congress directed the FAA to create new science-based flight and duty rules to appropriately establish one level of aviation safety to protect the public. Under intense pressure from the cargo industry lobby, the FAA has failed to carry out this basic congressional mandate. Pilots work in a complex environment where a poor decision due to fatigue of one flight crew can magnify and affect the lives of many. The final rule exempts cargo carriers from adhering to the flight and duty regulations, allowing them to opt out of the new rule." President Cleary continued, "USAPA strongly supports One Level of Safety – what’s safe for one pilot is safe for all, and these new rules fail to incorporate that commitment."
All pilots are subject to the same physiological needs regardless of the type of air carrier operations. The new rule fails to acknowledge that basic fact by exempting certain segments of air transport. Added Captain Cleary, "Fatigue is fatigue, regardless of whether you're carrying passengers or cargo. USAPA believes that, in the largely adversarial work environment that many are faced with today, strict government regulation must be in place to protect against potential abuses. Faced with the many potential challenges in round-the-clock air transport operations, a pilot must have the protections of strong Flight and Duty Time regulations and be free to remove him or herself from a flight due to fatigue without fear of recrimination."
About USAPA
Headquartered in Charlotte, N.C., the US Airline Pilots Association (USAPA) represents the more than 5,000 mainline pilots who fly for US Airways. USAPA's mission is to ensure safe flights for airline passengers by guaranteeing that their lives are in the hands of only the most qualified, competent and well-equipped pilots. USAPA will fight against any practices that may jeopardize its pilots' training, equipment, workplace environment, compensation or work/life balance, or that compromise its pilots' ability to execute the optimal flight. Visit the USAPA website atwww.USAirlinePilots.org.

scooter2525 said:
Didn't UPS come out and say they didn't like the rest rules either?

Did you mean UPS pilot's assoc.? My guess UPS put a lot of money in the right accounts to ensure their exemption.

The IPA (UPS pilots) is suing the FAA over the cargo cutout.

Cut and paste from our union message board:

1. IPA Lawsuit Against FAA Gains National Attention
From the Wall Street Journal to the Boston Herald, the IPA is making headlines and gaining support after filing suit against the FAA over its exclusion of cargo operators from the final Flight/Duty Time Rule. The IPA filed a lawsuit against the FAA on Dec. 22 in federal appeals court in Washington, D.C.; one day after the FAA issued its Final Rule.
The IPA's action is part of intensive planning that began weeks ago after the Association learned, from senior White House sources, that a "cargo carve-out" was likely. In a message to the Membership last week, IPA President Bob Travis stressed that this lawsuit "represents only one piece of an overall, detailed IPA plan to push back against what we know to be wrong."
The IPA's action has gained the support of the Boston Herald. A recent editorial praised the IPA's lawsuit and expressed disappointment that the FAA didn't cover pilots of all-cargo airlines. The following is the complete text from the Boston Herald editorial:
The Federal Aviation Administration's new rules tightening the requirements on rest periods for pilots of passenger airliners are the first based on research into sleep and fatigue. While not perfect (nothing is) they should be a substantial improvement.
It's disappointing but understandable that the agency ignored issues arising from the fact that some pilots live far from their bases and make long flights simply to commute to work. The copilot's sleep in a pilot's lounge armchair before the flight was believed to have contributed to the crash of a Colgan Air plane near Buffalo in 2009 that killed 50 people, one on the ground. A report from the National Research Council concluded that action would be premature because commuting issues are not well understood.
It's also disappointing that the agency didn't cover pilots of all-cargo airlines because "compliance costs significantly exceed the quantified safety benefits."
We respect cost-benefit analysis; we realize some benefits and costs can't be quantified. The FAA said identifiable costs to avoid an estimated 72 fatalities over 10 years on commuter-sized aircraft (far more likely to crash than other airliners) slightly outweighed the quantified benefits, but unquantifiable benefits to the health of pilots would more than close the gap. Fair enough.
Most benefits arose from avoided passenger deaths. There was no attempt to assess deaths on the ground - very rare, but they do happen, as shown by the Buffalo crash and four deaths in a Paris hotel from the crash of a SST in 2000.
Cargo planes, which carry no passengers, are one-sixth of the airliner fleet. It seems only fair that their pilots live by the same rules as those in other planes flying over people's houses, and Thursday the Independent Pilots Association filed a lawsuit on behalf of pilots for United Parcel Service to be included in the new rules.
Well, if that's what it takes, then so be it. And good luck to them.
The WALL STREET JOURNAL'S Andy Pasztor also took note of the IPA's lawsuit in the following article.
Unions are challenging recently issued Federal Aviation Administration rules designed to reduce pilot fatigue, arguing in court and in Congress that the rules should cover cargo carriers as well as passenger airlines.
The union representing the 2,700 pilots at delivery giant United Parcel Service Inc. filed a petition Thursday asking the federal appeals court in Washington to review the rules.
The Independent Pilots Association said the FAA's scientific analyses and risk assessments don't support excluding cargo carriers from the new requirements. The agency's decision to do so was based on input from parties "with a vested interest" in the matter and was made without adequate public scrutiny, the IPA alleged in material supporting its challenge. The union's lawsuit alleges that the FAA changed an early draft of its rules that included cargo pilots due to lobbying by the air-cargo industry.
An FAA spokeswoman declined to comment.
The lawsuit is the first legal challenge to a 300-page overhaul of FAA safety rules on pilot fatigue that was issued last week. The FAA wants passenger and charter carriers to guarantee their pilots at least 10 hours between shifts, up from the current eight hours, with a minimum opportunity of eight hours of undisturbed sleep. The new rules also set more-stringent workday limits for certain pilots, such as those working for commuter airlines, who perform multiple takeoffs and landings during late-night or early morning shifts.
Before the rules were finalized, cargo airlines argued they would be too costly and difficult to implement because their pilots frequently flew overnight to a shifting range of destinations. Exempting cargo operators reduced projected compliance costs by more than $200 million over 10 years, according to the FAA's calculations.
Acting FAA chief Michael Huerta told reporters last week that the estimated costs didn't justify the projected benefits of including the cargo carriers.
Officials of various pilot unions have laid the groundwork for a push to get Congress to block the FAA from excluding cargo carriers, according to people familiar with the details.
The Air Line Pilots Association, which has already lobbied lawmakers to enlist support, last week criticized the exclusion of those cargo carriers but called the regulations a historic safety improvement. ALPA President Lee Moak praised the FAA for applying the latest scientific principles to establish more-stringent limits on how long pilots can sit behind the controls.
Since then, officials at ALPA, the largest North American pilot union, have ratcheted up complaints that cargo operations are being held to a lesser standard, and have pledged to fight the regulations
The FAA originally proposed to update decades-old cockpit fatigue regulations by imposing the same rules on passenger and cargo airlines. The agency later concluded that applying such rules across the board would result in potentially avoiding a single crash of a cargo airliner, but the projected costs would "significantly exceed" measurable "societal benefits," according to one section of the regulations.
Labor officials now are challenging the FAA's cost-benefit conclusion. William Trent, general counsel of the union representing UPS pilots, said in a statement after the rules came out that the FAA failed to "articulate how it arrived at either the projected costs or benefits" affecting cargo airlines. The union is slated to file additional court papers next month outlining its legal positions.

Whoever at the FAA that thought this was a good idea or would fly by unnoticed is a Ra-tard. This went over like a fart in church.

Whoever at the FAA that thought this was a good idea or would fly by unnoticed is a Ra-tard. This went over like a fart in church.

Well, you know the former chief liked to hit the Scotchy Scotch!

What about the FedEx guys whose own national union supported this POS ruling. My guess is that they look at the dues money coming out of their paycheck a little differently next month.

I was wondering if FedEx said anything. Then there's Air Cargo Carriers, AirNet, Mountain Air Cargo, and the list goes on and on...

Are they all ALPA? FedEx is, but wouldn't think those other ones are. I'd be pretty pissed at my union if I were those guys.

I was wondering if FedEx said anything. Then there's Air Cargo Carriers, AirNet, Mountain Air Cargo, and the list goes on and on...

Other than FedEx, all the carriers you listed are part 135 and non-union.Part 135 is excluded form these rest rules as they new rules are only for Part 121.

Part 135 pilots are screwed overall. No representation hurts the 135 side when I comes to stuff like this.

Legit question.....The Colgan crash keeps getting brought up regarding rest, yet would the crew of 3407 had any different rest given the new rules? I don't doubt that they were fatigued, and that fatigue causes accidents but my original question stands.

I think the sore thumb (relating to above) is that commuting pilots are still not addressed and will continue to show up fatigued to work. It doesn't look like ALPA wanted to touch this issue, any changes anti-commuting (but pro-safety) would be very unpopular.

The Colgan crash is cited by many people as a reason for the new rules, but if you read the FAA's new rule, they make it quite clear that the Colgan crash was not caused by fatigue, and is not the justification for the new rules. Rather, they cite several accidents and incidents that were caused by fatigue, and they also cite the NTSB's long-standing recommendations to update the regulations to a science-based set of rules.

As far as commuting, there is nothing inherently unsafe about commuting, even if you do it long distances. I commuted for over five years, and I can honestly say that I never once showed up to work fatigued. I would typically commute in the night before with enough time for a good night's sleep unless I had a really short day on the first day of a trip, then I might commute in same day with no concerns about fatigue. Nothing at all unsafe about that. The problem is when people try to commute in from the west coast on the same day that they're scheduled for a 12-hour duty day.

In the end, you can't regulate away the problems of irresponsibility with commuting. You can't tell people where to live or what flights to take to commute to work. It just isn't a workable solution. In the end, the only thing you can do is control what happens while at work, provide fatigue education, and require pilots to sign a document certifying their fitness for flight prior to starting work. The new regulations provide that, and that's about all you can do to address fatigue from commuting.

ALPA did not support the exemption for cargo carriers. We strongly opposed any exemptions, and are actively engaged in trying to fix it.

Apparently not enough to not sell them out when push came to shove. It's not just Fed Ex either, it's all the cargo ALPA members and dare I say any ALPA group who flies long haul pax routes. When ALPA national comes out with "ALPA Welcomes Release of Pilot Fatigue Rules," they are basically stating that they took a lot of money from their highest paid pilots and used it to support a ruling that benefits them in no way whatsoever.

ALPA is a regional pilots union now. No doubt that group of pilots deserves more money, better work rules, and thus solid representation. However, their support of this ruling makes me question whether or not they support my interests.

The Colgan crash is cited by many people as a reason for the new rules, but if you read the FAA's new rule, they make it quite clear that the Colgan crash was not caused by fatigue, and is not the justification for the new rules. Rather, they cite several accidents and incidents that were caused by fatigue, and they also cite the NTSB's long-standing recommendations to update the regulations to a science-based set of rules.

As far as commuting, there is nothing inherently unsafe about commuting, even if you do it long distances. I commuted for over five years, and I can honestly say that I never once showed up to work fatigued. I would typically commute in the night before with enough time for a good night's sleep unless I had a really short day on the first day of a trip, then I might commute in same day with no concerns about fatigue. Nothing at all unsafe about that. The problem is when people try to commute in from the west coast on the same day that they're scheduled for a 12-hour duty day.

In the end, you can't regulate away the problems of irresponsibility with commuting. You can't tell people where to live or what flights to take to commute to work. It just isn't a workable solution. In the end, the only thing you can do is control what happens while at work, provide fatigue education, and require pilots to sign a document certifying their fitness for flight prior to starting work. The new regulations provide that, and that's about all you can do to address fatigue from commuting.

There's a very easy solution to the commuting problem; a positive space deadhead to every assignment from your home of record that counts as duty.

That would be the safest option, but it would cost the company money and thus, it'll never happen.

But it's the best solution available. That I have to get to work myself, and that it doesn't count for duty, and that I don't get paid for it astounds everybody I know that isn't a pilot.

There's a very easy solution to the commuting problem; a positive space deadhead to every assignment from your home of record that counts as duty.

That would be the safest option, but it would cost the company money and thus, it'll never happen.

But it's the best solution available. That I have to get to work myself, and that it doesn't count for duty, and that I don't get paid for it astounds everybody I know that isn't a pilot.

On management side, what's their solution? That everyone should live in/near base? Or is their argument that it's not their fault one chooses to live X miles away, and that the option of commuting exists for that?

In some extreme cases, would the positive space thing be feasible? Such as JC user Granlistillo, who lives in Spain by choice, and commutes across the Atlantic to work at his regional (last I checked)? Should the company have to eat those costs, compared to someone who lives stateside? Ie- should there be a limit of some sort? Would a limit even work?

Back