"Upstate"-LGA commute?

Blackhawk

So in preparation for my move this summer looking at DTW commute options. And yes, anything north of the Throgsneck is "upstate" to me. SWF will be the closest to West Point, then White Plains, but there are usually plenty of trips that I can bid on that start and/or end with an LGA DH. The West Point website lists an option of taking the train to Grand Central, then NYC Airporter to Laguardia. Any other options? Any idea how long that would take? Any airline deals on rail or Airporter?
I'd like to work out public transit options, that way I would not be tied to my car in an airport parking lot for the return.
Thanks.

So in preparation for my move this summer looking at DTW commute options. And yes, anything north of the Throgsneck is "upstate" to me. SWF will be the closest to West Point, then White Plains, but there are usually plenty of trips that I can bid on that start and/or end with an LGA DH. The West Point website lists an option of taking the train to Grand Central, then NYC Airporter to Laguardia. Any other options? Any idea how long that would take? Any airline deals on rail or Airporter?
I'd like to work out public transit options, that way I would not be tied to my car in an airport parking lot for the return.
Thanks.
SWF used to be my backup when ALB went to hell. Not many commuters but the frequency is low. The Airporter does not give crew discounts anymore and I think it runs about 10-15 bucks from LGA to grand central terminal. Pretty tough spot to live and commute unless you are willing to drive to any of the NYC area airports.

The West Point website lists an option of taking the train to Grand Central, then NYC Airporter to Laguardia. Any other options? Any idea how long that would take?

Are you going to be living on West Point? If so, you'll need to figure out a way across the river to Garrison station. There's a ferry that runs during warm weather for cadets for a quarter, but I think anyone can ride it. Off season or off hour you'll need to drive or cab. As for Metro North, you can get on/off at Harlem/125th St station and catch the M60 bus to LGA and vice versa. It's about an hour for the train and maybe 20 min for the bus. On Metro North in uniform, or with CAC card, sometimes the conductor would "forget" to lift the ticket, but I wouldn't count on it. I say all of this from the perspective of a former cadet, so no idea how this would work for a commute.

Are you going to be living on West Point? If so, you'll need to figure out a way across the river to Garrison station. There's a ferry that runs during warm weather for cadets for a quarter, but I think anyone can ride it. Off season or off hour you'll need to drive or cab. As for Metro North, you can get on/off at Harlem/125th St station and catch the M60 bus to LGA and vice versa. It's about an hour for the train and maybe 20 min for the bus. On Metro North in uniform, or with CAC card, sometimes the conductor would "forget" to lift the ticket, but I wouldn't count on it. I say all of this from the perspective of a former cadet, so no idea how this would work for a commute.

Yeah, on West Point itself.

Oh, thanks for the tip on the ferry. I'll look into it. My wife has to be there a few weeks before R-Day. No on post housing until July, however and everything surrounding West Point is full over R-Day weekend. Don't feel like bouncing all over while we wait for housing and I'm on trips I can't give away. Saw some places just across the river, but thought she would have to drive all the way around to get to work.

The "Supe's boat" is the ferry. It basically runs only April - September-ish at least when I was there. Otherwise, you're driving all the way down to the Bear Mountain bridge or up to Beacon and back around. If you want, I have friends that are currently Instructors/ Admissions Department people and I can link you up with them. Send me a PM if you like.

From my time, it was always a bastard to get to JFK and LGA. EWR was a little easier, but still...

Either way, I think you'll enjoy living there.

Source: I'm also a moderately Old Grad.

The "Supe's boat" is the ferry. It basically runs only April - September-ish at least when I was there. Otherwise, you're driving all the way down to the Bear Mountain bridge or up to Beacon and back around. If you want, I have friends that are currently Instructors/ Admissions Department people and I can link you up with them. Send me a PM if you like.

From my time, it was always a bastard to get to JFK and LGA. EWR was a little easier, but still...

Either way, I think you'll enjoy living there.

Source: I'm also a moderately Old Grad.

EWR... yuck. Oh well. Take the good with the bad.

Back