UPS A300 down at Birmingham AL

"Try working at a non-union Colgan and see how long you last. You sound like you are drinking some KoolAid."

Did Cherokee actually say that? I thought he hated unions? Jet U and on to non-union Virgin America? Lot's of Kool Aide to go around I think....

Are you not entertained? Is that not why you are here? :)

"Try working at a non-union Colgan and see how long you last. You sound like you are drinking some KoolAid."

Did Cherokee actually say that? I thought he hated unions? Jet U and on to non-union Virgin America? Lot's of Kool Aide to go around I think....

Yes I did. I don't like unions one bit but I think in some cases they become a necessity. What relevance does Jet U have here?

You done with MD11 training? Congrats Captain. Would be interested to hear how it went/thoughts/opinions. You changing your screen name ? :)

Got typed last week....off to CGN tonight on my first leg of IOE. Nice airplane and the training went well except for the 4am sim times. Hands down a much better airplane than the A300 but a little too fast on final for my liking.

Unfortunately, the market sets the price, and there is no "objective" monetary value for ANYTHING, be that an object, or service, or responsibility, or labor.

Since there are still plenty of people who are willing to do this job for the amount of money being offered, then clearly that's what it is "worth", like it or not.

Which is precisely why doctors, and lawyers, and accountants, and chiropractors, and massage therapists, and tradesmen, and... ALL create and maintain much more robust barriers to entry than do we in the pilot "community". If, as you say, there is no real value, then we need to create perceived value. Or should we just get a bigger jar of vasoline? (what? you don't think the price of a jar of vasoline is controlled??)

Got typed last week....off to CGN tonight on my first leg of IOE. Nice airplane and the training went well except for the 4am sim times. Hands down a much better airplane than the A300 but a little too fast on final for my liking.

Wow, sorry, been busy and completely missed your first post! Well, if you have any questions on it, let me know. I was the ALPA tech person for it, LCA on it and numerous other work. It is a nice flying airplane, just fly it all the way to the ground and don't chase the pitch on landing, use power for your vertical path control. You can quickly get out of phase if you try to use pitch to land it, you need to do more of a carrier approach, holding attitude constant and using power as required all the way to the ground. Ground effect has a big impact, so usually you don't need more power than what the autothrottles are programmed for, but any sort of gusts and you need to be on top of it. It is a legacy jet in that way. On the other hand, it is the most automated commercial jet flying, bar none, and the systems work really well. It is also fast, which I like, but sometimes if you're heavy with some gusty winds it throws ATC off (the don't expect that 180kt plus final approach speed!).

Nice!

Wow, sorry, been busy and completely missed your first post! Well, if you have any questions on it, let me know. I was the ALPA tech person for it, LCA on it and numerous other work. It is a nice flying airplane, just fly it all the way to the ground and don't chase the pitch on landing, use power for your vertical path control. You can quickly get out of phase if you try to use pitch to land it, you need to do more of a carrier approach, holding attitude constant and using power as required all the way to the ground. Ground effect has a big impact, so usually you don't need more power than what the autothrottles are programmed for, but any sort of gusts and you need to be on top of it. It is a legacy jet in that way. On the other hand, it is the most automated commercial jet flying, bar none, and the systems work really well. It is also fast, which I like, but sometimes if you're heavy with some gusty winds it throws ATC off (the don't expect that 180kt plus final approach speed!).

Thanks. So far, I like the jet and will gradually become acclimated to all it's idiosyncrasies over time.

Back