Unresponsive AF 777-300

Sooo ... no mention of 5G potentially affect RADALTs and the autoland'ems?

Another article (which also did not mention anything about radio altimeters) indicated, "a go-around was initiated at about 1,150 feet."

Also, a "777-300" is not the same thing as a 777-300ER. This aircraft was an ER.

Another article (which also did not mention anything about radio altimeters) indicated, "a go-around was initiated at about 1,150 feet."

Also, a "777-300" is not the same thing as a 777-300ER. This aircraft was an ER.
Wouldn’t that just further the discussion back to the autopilot and the pilots fighting the autopilot instead of disconnecting and hand flying? If you’re gonna say it’s 5G, I’m gonna believe the they didn’t turn off AP theory then. It also indicated in the article about airplane turning left, doesn’t sound like a radio altimeter issue to me.

We can do both, criticize Boeing and make fun of the French.

why-not-both-por-que-no-los-dos.gif

probably because 5G in Europe and Asia uses a different freq band than the US and doesn’t affect radio alt’s. 5G has been active in Europe for years already. The US is way behind.

Whuuuut? Somebody in airline management read Fate is the Hunter too many times and thought this applied to everything

probably because 5G in Europe and Asia uses a different freq band than the US and doesn’t affect radio alt’s. 5G has been active in Europe for years already. The US is way behind.
5G was activated in Paris on March 19th, 2021.

The RTCA reports that "C-band" frequencies in the USA are from 3.7 GHz 3.98 GHz (with the long tails), while the proximate lower band for 5G in France is 3.4 to 3.8 GHz. Radio Altimeters use 4.2 to 4.4 GHz.

I'm not familiar with the 777. Are the control columns and yokes mechanically linked regardless of the FBW like a G650?

I'm not a fan of a control design that allows this.
I don't lay hands on a 777 yokel, but, uh, I thought there was a mechanical connection between the controls and moving them independently was only something that could happen with a suicidal Egypitian.

I'm, like, 90% sure that 777 measures the yoke deflections from bellcranks before they are summed(?). The BEA chart in that article doesn't include it, but there should also be completely independent sensed values for control force inputs, and it's odd that they are missing.

Why is it seen as being “cool” to be an “old school” dude in aviation? I mean, I’m not flying any more, but when I briefly had to go back to steam hives while we were getting the new glass airplane online all I could think was “man… this sucks.”

I “grew up” using steam gauges, including flying some of the Brasilias at SkyWest with it. It does suck. I have no desire to ever fly those instruments again.

Having better SA with stuff like FPVs, trendlines, etc is a good thing. Anything who thinks otherwise is a Luddite.

Back