Unresponsive AF 777-300

melax

I'm an old school guy, always been kinda leery of Fly by wire, remember AF-296Q ?
One of the pilots went into exile and if I remember well, he has a website consecrated to prove that HAL was in control when that happened. Of course Airbus and the french Govt. didn't like it a bit. The other pilot went mute and stayed in France quietly.
I always insist on redundancy in all our systems specifically dissimilar technologies, it's sometimes complicated but that's how I run our ops.

The Aviation Herald

I'm an old school guy, always been kinda leery of Fly by wire, remember AF-296Q ?
One of the pilots went into exile and if I remember well, he has a website consecrated to prove that HAL was in control when that happened. Of course Airbus and the french Govt. didn't like it a bit. The other pilot went mute and stayed in France quietly.
I always insist on redundancy in all our systems specifically dissimilar technologies, it's sometimes complicated but that's how I run our ops.

The Aviation Herald

My WAG is that the pilot was fighting the autopilot that should have disengaged. Instead of slapping the AP Master he kept fighting until he had an epiphany.

Last edited:
Forgive my ignorance here, but it is common for ATC to be communicated in French there? For some reason I thought English was the international language of ATC.

Forgive my ignorance here, but it is common for ATC to be communicated in French there? For some reason I thought English was the international language of ATC.

There's a lot of non-English ATC in places where English isn't the primary language, even though English is the ICAO standard. Always exciting to hear "cleared to land 17" then "cleared for takeoff 35" in a mix of broken English and local language.

It's not unreasonable for domestic flying to be in the local language. English is the international standard.

They just have to be able to also speak in English. A lot of the world speaks their local language and the controllers will speak English if spoken to in English.

They just have to be able to also speak in English. A lot of the world speaks their local language and the controllers will speak English if spoken to in English.

Some countries I’m not sure how well or even if that is enforced.

Routinely have the one random speaking local on tower here. Tower speaking it right back. No damn clue what was said between them by the rest of us in the airspace, but the procedures are so grade school pedestrian and restrictive it’s not like it will be too much of a hazard.

I’m more worried about the random dudes working well before the end of the runway to do paint or surfacing and here goes Turkish Air 458 to wherever cleared for takeoff… hope they don’t have an abort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Outside of the States, controllers speak their native language for local aircraft.

I read a report from one of our 75 guys about doing a flight control check and having the yoke bind at one particular point one out of every ten or so times.

I like the version where we get to make fun of the French better, though.

Back