United Application

Dan208B

Has anyone done the United application or does anyone that works there have any insight on a couple things?

-There is a section on airlineapps for speeding tickets. I have one from a few years back. There is a separate section on the United specific app regarding criminal records. It seems like it's for really bad things, but it mentions "if you've ever paid a fine." I guess this pertains to speeding tickets. Thoughts?

-It appears its still somewhat the Continental application. Theres a dropdown menu for things like family member, continental express pilot, etc. I'm an ex-united express, think that matters at all? There's an other option but it says dont select any if none apply.

Always want to make sure everything is done right on these!

Thanks!

I have a couple speeding tickets from way back (2001 and 2003). I marked "No" on that question, since neither was a misdemeanor or felony charge.

Looking to get back into the 121 business already? :)

I listed my two speeding tickets in both locations. As far as the l-CAL drop-down I selected "Other" and wrote in United-Express carrier.

Here's what the question says:

** ANSWER THIS QUESTION HONESTLY, WHETHER OR NOT YOU BELIEVE YOU PRESENTLY SHOW A CONVICTION ON YOUR CRIMINAL RECORD AND WHETHER OR NOT YOUR LAWYER TOLD YOU SOMETHING WOULD NOT COUNT.

16. Have you:
A) Ever been convicted or is there now pending against you a misdemeanor or felony (civil or military charge);
B) Received deferred adjudication (even if your case was later dismissed);
C) Been part of any sort of diversion program in lieu of a conviction (even if your case was later dismissed);
OR
D) Paid a fine/ performed community service/ served any jail time?

Right off the bat, the first sentence says "criminal record," which would exclude a normal speeding ticket (it's a moving violation/infraction). Of course, if you were actually convicted of a felony or misdemeanor charge for doing 130mph in a school zone, well, good luck to you. :)

By all means though, put it down...but as a guy competing with you for the job, it may not end well on an app that's more than likely pre-screened by a computer! :D

Thanks for the help guys!

Haha yeah I had to do it. I really wanted to work there a long time ago and as I thought about that, post-merger that hasn't changed.

I agree that says criminal record, if you had speeding tickets IMO you'd be OK not checking that box.

So is a ticket not paying a fine, when a fine was paid for something small (whether speeding/parking/moving violation)? Not stirring the pot, just curious. It's a rather "lumped" question in that paying a fine for 10 over checks the same box as killing a person...

Here's what the question says:

Right off the bat, the first sentence says "criminal record," which would exclude a normal speeding ticket (it's a moving violation/infraction). Of course, if you were actually convicted of a felony or misdemeanor charge for doing 130mph in a school zone, well, good luck to you. :)

By all means though, put it down...but as a guy competing with you for the job, it may not end well on an app that's more than likely pre-screened by a computer! :D

This is actually a very disturbing question. While I can appreciate that they want you to be honest, the use of phrases like "whether or not you believe you presently show a conviction or not" and "whether or not your lawyer told you" is quite bothersome, as they have no legal way of determining if you were honest or not, and more to the point, we live in a system of "innocent until proven guilty," and if I were wrongfully charged of murder (for example), and either had the charges dropped as appropriate evidence were brought to light, or was acquitted by a jury, I have no obligation to disclose any of that to anyone, especially an employer.

They expect you to put speeding tickets on there. They are trying to word it in such a way that you can't weasel your way out of reporting a speeding ticket.

Well, you boys have fun...this question refers to a criminal record. My speeding tickets are disclosed elsewhere in the application.

And Patrick, if you were never convicted of a misdemeanor or felony, you can honestly answer "No" to the question.

Well, you boys have fun...this question refers to a criminal record. My speeding tickets are disclosed elsewhere in the application.

And Patrick, if you were never convicted of a misdemeanor or felony, you can honestly answer "No" to the question.
In my state, speeding tickets are criminal misdemeanor charges. In other states they are not. Whether they want you to list your speeding tickets in response to this question or not, I don't know.

In my state, speeding tickets are criminal misdemeanor charges. In other states they are not. Whether they want you to list your speeding tickets in response to this question or not, I don't know.

Wow, which state is that?

Oh I'm well aware that you can answer this question as "no" if that were the case, but clearly, they're fishing for more than that.

Georgia, and I don't think it is at all unique in that respect.
TITLE 40. MOTOR VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC
CHAPTER 6. UNIFORM RULES OF THE ROAD
ARTICLE 1. GENERAL PROVISIONS
O.C.G.A. § 40-6-1 (2012)

§ 40-6-1. Observance of chapter required; punishment for violations generally; maximum fines for certain offenses

(a) It is unlawful and, unless otherwise declared in this chapter with respect to particular offenses, it is a misdemeanor for any person to do any act forbidden or fail to perform any act required in this chapter.
The only exceptions that I can think of off the top of my head are the red light cameras and toll road violations, they are civil offenses.
Disclaimer: I am not an attorney and this is not legal advice(that would be a felony). In fact MidlifeFlyer in the past has used the term "jailhouse lawyer" when commenting on my posts re: the law (which I took as a compliment, but I'm sure were intended as an insult):). So take that for what its worth.

Old Pete is correct. States vary on what vehicle offenses are treated as civil penalties and which as misdemeanors. It's been a long time, but as different as Massachusetts is from Georgia, at least when I practiced in Mass last century, treated most moving violations as misdemeanors.

I posted this in a thread like this on APC. Like what old pete said its not uncommon at all for it to be this way is many states. I think that a lot people just do not know that traffic offenses are classified as real crimes.

I posted this in a thread like this on APC. Like what old pete said its not uncommon at all for it to be this way is many states. I think that a lot people just do not know that traffic offenses are classified as real crimes.

Well, if it's considered a criminal offense in your state, then answer as necessary. In the state I received my traffic tickets (Arizona), they are not considered criminal offenses unless you were intoxicated, there was a hit and run, etc. They are handled as a civil matter.

I would check with your state, and be very sure that you have a criminal record for a speeding ticket, before answering "Yes" to having a criminal record on this application. Very possible that clicking "Yes" will keep you from getting a call.

Well, if it's considered a criminal offense in your state, then answer as necessary. In the state I received my traffic tickets (Arizona), they are not considered criminal offenses unless you were intoxicated, there was a hit and run, etc. They are handled as a civil matter.

I would check with your state, and be very sure that you have a criminal record for a speeding ticket, before answering "Yes" to having a criminal record on this application. Very possible that clicking "Yes" will keep you from getting a call.

See thats where it gets tricky. Even though traffic offenses may be considered crimes "speeding" will only show up on your drivers history not criminal history.

Back