United Application

If I have no clue about my state and don't even know to have a clue and list my speeding tickets in the speeding ticket section, should HR be mad about that? Should HR know every state's laws? Does it really matter if I got a ticket for the same thing in 2 different states, but it's categorized differently? Is that relevant, in itself, to airline hiring?

It's pretty simple. If you were ticketed for a moving violation and had to pay a fine or perform community service then mark YES and explain in the comments section.

It's pretty simple. If you were ticketed for a moving violation and had to pay a fine or perform community service then mark YES and explain in the comments section.

...with the understanding that marking "Yes" will more than likely keep you out of one of the limited spots.

Click "Review My App" and it will show you the exact United application filled out. At the bottom of the application it will list this question, and nowhere do you see it say it applies only to a criminal record.
Have you:
A) Ever been convicted or is there now pending against you a misdemeanor or felony (civil or military charge);
B) Received deferred adjudication (even if your case was later dismissed);
C) Been part of any sort of diversion program in lieu of a conviction (even if your case was later dismissed);
OR
D) Paid a fine/ performed community service/ served any jail time?

See the big "OR" in front of condition D.

Click "Review My App" and it will show you the exact United application filled out. At the bottom of the application it will list this question, and nowhere do you see it say it applies only to a criminal record.

See the big "OR" in front of condition D.

It's such a poorly worded question. I'll bet the HR people are all laughing at us right now for putting so much thought into it. I'd hate to have them say "oh why didn't you tell us about this..." but at the same time, it is on my airlineapps traffic tickets page, and it just doesn't seem like the question pertains to that. Maybe not but it looks to me like it means something more like a fine for a criminal offense...

I'd still mark NO. They built the stupid question, let them figure it out. Next.

I read the question over and over and I have a feeling my grade school teachers would laugh if I thought that the entire meaning of the sentence was limited to how it was worded at the very end. I get the worries, but I don't think neglecting to put a typical moving violation in the criminal record section is going to have a negative effect. There's a separate section for speeding tickets. List them there. I would wonder what, exactly, would be the point in having a separate section for speeding tickets and yet expect someone to leave that blank and put them in the criminal record section if their state categorizes them that way. That's not the point. They want to know if you have a real criminal record.

I just got to this question today so I'll have my wife look it over when she gets home. She's a labor and employment attorney who deals with HRs so I'll see what she thinks about it.

...with the understanding that marking "Yes" will more than likely keep you out of one of the limited spots.

It is more likely if you mark "no" when you do have speeding tickets that you will get an interview but be selected out later for putting false information on an application.

They may very well see the tickets section of the general application, and compare it to their own section looking for inconsistencies.

FWIW, I checked "yes" because I know they are looking for you to put your speeding tickets there, regardless of how poorly worded it is.

It's probably better to be open than try to hide things on a wording technicality. Think "Bill Clinton."

On second thought, you guys should all check "no" even if you have tickets. It will be nice to not have as much competition for the interviews!

:)

It is more likely if you mark "no" when you do have speeding tickets that you will get an interview but be selected out later for putting false information on an application.

I doubt it. For some reason, there's this idea going around that any little clerical inconsistency on any part of your application will end with you having a black bag over your head and dragged out of the classroom, never to be seen again. Any employer worth working for is going to realize that you're not being evasive, and that you're not expected to read minds.

It's a crappy question. The last ticket I have is 9 years old, and it's all been disclosed in another part of the application. Don't read too far into it. As Rocketman99 said: NEXT.

(I'll be honest, I'm not falling over myself to work at UAL anyway).

I doubt it. For some reason, there's this idea going around that any little clerical inconsistency on any part of your application will end with you having a black bag over your head and dragged out of the classroom, never to be seen again. Any employer worth working for is going to realize that you're not being evasive, and that you're not expected to read minds.

It's a crappy question. The last ticket I have is 9 years old, and it's all been disclosed in another part of the application. Don't read too far into it. As Rocketman99 said: NEXT.

(I'll be honest, I'm not falling over myself to work at UAL anyway).

Meh, I'm not reading much into it. I just answered as I thought appropriate. I agree with the dude who suggested a call to ask, if it's a concern.

Per my contact at UAL: CV said that this question DOES NOT reference speeding ticket type infractions. DWI/DUI yes, but not speeding / stop light / parking...

Question about Airlineapps for those applying... I just updated my medical (First Class) during the last week of September. On the application review page, a check mark is next to United's requirement (First). On my side of the column, it just lists the date (9/21/12) under First and has a check mark under Second Class.

At the top of the page it says to ensure that a check on my side matches what the airline requires. My question is, is the date for my First class sufficient, or is this a glitch in airline apps that considers me to have a Second Class? I seem to remember in the past it would always include the check mark under First. Anyone else have a similar issue or is this normal?

Question about Airlineapps for those applying... I just updated my medical (First Class) during the last week of September. On the application review page, a check mark is next to United's requirement (First). On my side of the column, it just lists the date (9/21/12) under First and has a check mark under Second Class.

At the top of the page it says to ensure that a check on my side matches what the airline requires. My question is, is the date for my First class sufficient, or is this a glitch in airline apps that considers me to have a Second Class? I seem to remember in the past it would always include the check mark under First. Anyone else have a similar issue or is this normal?
The date is sufficient. Remember when the First Class expires and reverts to Second Class. I think that's the gist of AirlineApps posting the date.

How did y'all answer this question on your Colgan/Expressjet/Eagle/TSA applications? Answer it the same.

Just to add a little more fuel to this fire:

In Texas when you get a speeding ticket it you have the option to have it cleared by taking Defensive Driving. So your driving record doesn't show speeding tickets it shows that you took Defensive Driving. Would you include these "Defensive Driving" courses as tickets on an app?

Back