Union-Specific Sub-Forum??

mtsu_av8er

So, here's an idea. I'm just wondering what some of you think about it. Perhaps we can run it by the Skipper and X.O.

We have a MX sub-forum. An Airline-Pilot sub-forum. One for Freight Dawgs. Collegiate aviation.

What do you guys think about one for the specific purpose of union discussion? You know, lanyards, contracts, etc. That way, those of us that want to participate, can. And, if you're not interested in hearing the latest theory of why management wants to screw you - well, you can just avoid the forum!

Now, I know that some people will protest. But, just wondering what the general public though.

It is a bad idea because this is the most unionized industry out there.

Being part of a union will be a part of your career, might as well get as much exposure to it as possible to see what is going on.

I think it's a GREAT idea. This site is "jetcareers.com" not "jetunionstuffineveryotherthread.com"

Sure, it's important, but it rears it's ugly head in SO MANY threads is frankly is a turn off.

It is a bad idea because this is the most unionized industry out there.

Being part of a union will be a part of your career, might as well get as much exposure to it as possible to see what is going on.

Ahh, but your position simply backs up my idea. Aircraft are among the most maintained machines in our world. So, there's a forum dedicated specifically to MX.

Counter-argument

Ahh, but your position simply backs up my idea. Aircraft are among the most maintained machines in our world. So, there's a forum dedicated specifically to MX.

I think the need for a maintenance and ATC sub-forum came from the fact that they are people who do not fly airplanes yet they do come to this website. A flight attendant or ground handler sub-forum would fit into the same category.

I think that getting to the level of having a union sub-forum would be like having a weather sub-forum, an FARs forum, and so forth. They are topics that all pilots must be familiar with.

If the union sub-forum were to exist it should be under the airline pilots forum.

Lloyd, I am in the middle of another organizing drive at my company. Like, last year it is going to be very close, on the direction the pilot group takes, either the IBT or ALPA. There are a lot of guys out there at my company that lurk these forums. These forums are an invaluable tool in educating the pilot group. We still have some undecided voters.

Quite frankly, if there is a union sub-forum that doesn't get as much traffic, it is going to hurt our drive severely and other important union related issues because the information will not be disseminated like we have the opportunity to in the open forum format.

Unions in the airline industry are trying to make things better for us, the pilots, like jetcareers. To itemize them is just a bad idea.

Re: Counter-argument

As you all know I am not in the industry, but do think this might be a good idea. More if it could be done like the Lav, so only members could see it, and it doesnt get indexed to Google, etc. There is A LOT that people need to know about the unions, but this would keep it to the membership.

On the same thought, I think there might be a need to change the signup to the site that you have to get checked out somehow. Not that you are in the industry, but that you are trying to learn about the industry.

Thoughts?

Great Idea!

I think too many of the threads turn into airline union threads. I could swear 4 years ago there was a lot more airplane talk. I don't remember all this bitterness and boring union talk.

lanyards,
ryan

Re: Counter-argument

Sure. . .go right on ahead.

Won't hurt my feelings.

But I'm able to see the motives behind this type of a thread, and more importantly trying to achieve this type of decision.

Let's isolate those radical union supporters so that it'll be easier to tune them out. Considering that Doug and the XO had some help from a pretty good sized union to fight off the DCA crowd, I think the value in the union discussions is worth their weight in gold.

If it wasn't for the union discussions that occurred last year, and before I had earned my PPL, combined with interacting with people on a local level I would not be a strong supporter of collective bargaining in the aviation industry, specifically the 121 side of the house. I didn't necessarily seek it out, but thankfully they were easy to fine.

If the mods want to continue to move any and all union threads into the Airline pilot section that's fine by me as well.

Further, it's their living room, they're obviously more than welcomed to do as they wish. Nothing any of us can do to make them follow our own paths.

Good god, the last thing we need is another sub forum.

Except a sub forum for discussion potential sub forums! :)

i think if it was a sub forum of the airline pilot forum (realize that's an actual forum, not a sub forum), then it would "fit" better since i think (and correct me if i'm wrong) most unionized crews are airline??

i think if it was a sub forum of the airline pilot forum (realize that's an actual forum, not a sub forum), then it would "fit" better since i think (and correct me if i'm wrong) most unionized crews are airline??

Union talk 'fits' in every forum. Aviation is the most unionized industry out there.

To make it 'fit' in a sub forum will not work.

Pretty much.

I'm not exactly sure how to differentiate "union" from "airline pilot" because they're closely related items. Plus, then the "real" stuff that's going on belongs behind the security net of the ALPA forum or the airline's specific MEC forum.

Hard to separate a conversation about 777 conversions, if I were to start one, without bringing up contractual protections or advance entitlement rules. Then would that be an "Airline Pilots" post or a "Union Post" because it deals with contractual language.

I don't know. Probably just my jet lag talking or something. Coffees working btw!

No it doesn't

Aircraft are the most controlled machines in the world by our comrades over on the ATC side of things.

Should every post that brings up ATC and Aircraft interaction be placed in a specific forum that deals with ATC and Aircraft pilot interaction?

Nah, gotta make 2300 to 2330 and then I'm golden. Might go for a stroll even.

i think if it was a sub forum of the airline pilot forum (realize that's an actual forum, not a sub forum), then it would "fit" better since i think (and correct me if I'm wrong) most unionized crews are airline??

I agree. I'd say that over 95% of unionized pilots are airline pilots. Freight Dawgs and Flight Instructors, for the most part, could care less about the unions. It gets pretty old when every thread about an accident or procedure becomes a union promotion or a union bashing session.

Don't get me wrong - I'm very pro-union. I'm even on a union committee (gasp!). I think that they're definitely a requirement in the industry. But not all segments of the industry are unionized.

When a student pilot asks about 737 procedures and FMS usage, we preach that they should focus their energy on what they're doing in the present, and that the future will come. Union business is the exact same.

Simply put, there's a time and a place for everything.

Back