Unemployment Gap

PowderPilot

I am currently working for a high end home automation company. I have gotten my PPL and almost done with my IFR. I am looking to make the change into the aviation career with a goal of working for a major airline. My question is that after high school (2006) I was basically unemployed except for few summer jobs for about 3-4 years It was almost impossible for me to get hired. After that time i realized i needed to go to school and get some real skills people would be interested in. Got my associates in weld engineering with a 3.88 GPA and am working on my BS in engineering. I have also had my current job as project manager for 2 years after completing my AS. I plan on being fully honest on my resume and state that I was unemployed looking for employment and honestly explain the situation in my interview. Are the long unemployment gaps going to be a problem for passing the FAA background and employment background verification? And how much will the airlines care about the unemployment gaps? Thank you in advance for any advice or input.

it wont mean a thing ...unless you were in jail. (and then you might still have options)

I am currently working for a high end home automation company. I have gotten my PPL and almost done with my IFR. I am looking to make the change into the aviation career with a goal of working for a major airline. My question is that after high school (2006) I was basically unemployed except for few summer jobs for about 3-4 years It was almost impossible for me to get hired. After that time i realized i needed to go to school and get some real skills people would be interested in. Got my associates in weld engineering with a 3.88 GPA and am working on my BS in engineering. I have also had my current job as project manager for 2 years after completing my AS. I plan on being fully honest on my resume and state that I was unemployed looking for employment and honestly explain the situation in my interview. Are the long unemployment gaps going to be a problem for passing the FAA background and employment background verification? And how much will the airlines care about the unemployment gaps? Thank you in advance for any advice or input.

Sounds exactly like me except I went on to Flight School after doing many odd jobs for 3 years after high school. Shouldn't be a problem if your going for a Pilot job.Good luck.

Back