Unemployed again

That sucks Matt, I'm sorry to hear it. Here's to finding something better. :beer:

Alex.

Beg, borrow, or steal. The nice thing about 135 freight is they'll hire someone at 1200 just as soon as they'll hire someone with 4200, presuming they're at the right place/right time. I started at FLX with no multi rating, 1350TT, and not having touched an airplane for several years. My 135 IFR PIC ride was also my BFR and IPC. Keep the faith.

Bummer. Welcome to aviation. Suck it up, dude.

http://forums.jetcareers.com/1232042-post28.html

Fact is, you'd likely have another job to fall back on quite quickly if you'd give up your bitterness and contempt for everyone else, and started worrying about yourself. Yes, some will have it easier in their career, but some will also have a tougher time getting to where they want to be. Besides sheer luck, the major difference maker is attitude.

If you stop burning bridges, in time you'll cross one.

Good luck.

http://forums.jetcareers.com/1232042-post28.html

Fact is, you'd likely have another job to fall back on quite quickly if you'd give up your bitterness and contempt for everyone else, and started worrying about yourself. Yes, some will have it easier in their career, but some will also have a tougher time getting to where they want to be. Besides sheer luck, the major difference maker is attitude.

If you stop burning bridges, in time you'll cross one.

Good luck.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Are you willing to relocate? If so I am pretty sure their is a Traffic Watch place here in the DC Area that is hiring or at least was. Let me see if I can find a link for ya.

Actually, <edited>, I *am* sucking it up. You don't hear me musing that it's time to choose a different career path just because a little adversity crossed my path, you must have me confused with someone else.

Fact is, you'd likely have another job to fall back on quite quickly if you'd give up your bitterness and contempt for everyone else, and started worrying about yourself.
Fact is, I'd likely have another job to fall back on if I had the hundreds of hours of multiengine turbine time you did by the time you had my total time, or even if I had my mom sign off on 60 hours of multiengine time in my logbook. But not all of us can be (or want to be) the guy hired into a 121 cockpit with only 400 hours, or have a CFI mom.

When you've walked a mile in my shoes, you can lecture me all you like. Until then, zip it, <edited>.

Actually, <edited>, I *am* sucking it up. You don't hear me musing that it's time to choose a different career path just because a little adversity crossed my path, you must have me confused with someone else.

Fact is, I'd likely have another job to fall back on if I had the hundreds of hours of multiengine turbine time you did by the time you had my total time, or even if I had my mom sign off on 60 hours of multiengine time in my logbook. But not all of us can be (or want to be) the guy hired into a 121 cockpit with only 400 hours, or have a CFI mom.

When you've walked a mile in my shoes, you can lecture me all you like. Until then, zip it, <edited>.

209096095_68e0c7f688.jpg

209096055_b471ed7e4a.jpg

This thread has had 280 views. I certainly hope no one in a position to help you has read it.

My traffic watch gig ended today, leaving me 40 hours short of 135 IFR mins. If only they'd waited just one more month....

I fail to see any bitterness in your statement. I'm not sure what other posters mean by burning bridges with it. IMO all you are doing is making a statement. Sorry to hear about your job. Good Luck with finding another one.

I fail to see any bitterness in your statement. I'm not sure what other posters mean by burning bridges with it. IMO all you are doing is making a statement. Sorry to hear about your job. Good Luck with finding another one.

I think what they're referring to is this thread: http://forums.jetcareers.com/member-announcements/91233-unemployed-2.html

Where statements like: (http://forums.jetcareers.com/1232042-post28.html)

Bummer. Welcome to adulthood, kid. Suck it up and drive on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citationkid
I am considering it. My best friend got an A-10 slot at 19 years old and finished OTS when he was 20. The biggest problem is my eyesight is not 20/20.

You don't need 20/20 anymore, that's a myth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citationkid
It is hard to believe when I think about it, but this is my eighth aviation job. I was jobless for the last few months because I am not willing to work for the low pay that the majority of jobs offer. It sucks to think all I qualify for job wise is flying for Colgan making $18,000 a year, or right seat part 135 for $24,000 a year. I am all for paying dues, but I am starting to wonder if aviation takes a determined person, or a person will little to no self worth. I just don't want to be one of those guys who says "Pilots should be paid well" and then go work for $18,000 a year. Like I said earlier, a lot of this is just venting.

Dude, you're twenty years old. Quit your bitching. Most of your peers are still working for minimum wage at Taco Bell. You've been on JC since you were what, 14, and those of us who've been around all that time have had the opportunity to follow your progression. Bottom line, you've had it VERY easy to this point in your life and flying career, and frankly, it's about time you learned that life isn't always so easy.

Seriously.

Sucks that your gravy train got derailed, but welcome to life. It happens to everyone.

and: (http://forums.jetcareers.com/1233937-post55.html)

icon1.gif
Re: Unemployeed
Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Dawg
For some reason it's not uncommon for people to assume achievement at a young age is attributed to someone else handing it to you. Obviously you have worked hard to follow your passion and get to where you are.

Think so, Ed? Ask Alex how many hours of jet/multi-turbine time he'd logged before he could drive a car or solo a 152, and how he came to log them. His CFI corporate/charter pilot mother knew how to game the system and made sure he was primed to do so. In my opinion, it was nothing more than logbook padding, made legal by his mama's signature.

THAT'S how he got where he is today, not through hard work.

and: (http://forums.jetcareers.com/1233981-post61.html)

icon1.gif
Re: Unemployeed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Taylor
We're both adults here so let me give you some constructive criticism. I'm not going to assume malice, but you're really coming off as a very bitter person, Aloft.

You think? I'm playing by the rules, didn't have an opportunity to game the system such as Alex did, and yet with over 1100 hours legitimately logged, I'm still flying traffic watch in a 172 for minimum f'ing wage a handful of hours a week (just got my paycheck for the entire month of June: $137.26). [That's right, Seggy, jtrain and friends: I honored your virtual picket line and didn't apply at GoJet when I had the chance. Happy? Good. You can pay my overdue car registration and get its air conditioning fixed, cause I sure as hell don't have the money to.] To make matters worse, I'm forced to compete with all the furloughed 121 guys who got hired with 400 hrs for any and every job out there that would help me make the next step. Call it bitter if you want, but you try to not be frustrated in such a situation.

There are a lot of us on here who barely missed the last hiring wave, who will have a much more difficult time of things going forward than those who caught it--to including having to compete with them for jobs, having to meet the "newer, safer" mandated regional hiring rules that are sure to come. So forgive me if I have a low tolerance for a twenty year old who has yet to extract the silver spoon from his mouth complain about how working for $18,000/yr at Great Lakes is somehow beneath him. I can't even get that job, because I'm competing with people with bogus time like him and the other 400 hour wonders who've been furloughed. I hate to see anyone lose a job, but seriously: cry me a river.

So, Doug, while you're lounging poolside on your layover in Spain sipping your Sangria, why don't you reflect on just how easy you've had it in your career to date before calling someone out for being bitter. You haven't had it easy, you say? Refresh my memory: who paid for your ERAU education? How much turbine PIC time do you have again? That's what I thought.

Were made. Perhaps that's what the guys were referencing.

Wow. I have never in my life seen such a massive networking fail as this. You may not have liked the stuff that we all wrote in that other thread - in fact, you probably thought we were piling on you - but we were writing that stuff to help you. Your attitude is going to determine what you get out of life, and your attitude sucks - it is full of envy. You blast Alex for being in the lucky sperm club - without giving any credence to his hard work. You blast Seggy and Jtrain for you not going to work at GoJet because of their virtual picket line - like it is their fault or something. Sack up and go to GoJet if you want to - it is your life not Jtrain or Seggy's. If you want to go there, then go. If you do not want to go there - then don't...but make it YOUR choice, not anyone elses.

"Why didn't you go to GoJet?"

Aloft - "Well...these people on an anonymous interweb forum named Seggy and Jtrain that I don't really know told me not to and I obeyed them..."

Seriously? Make a decision for your own reasons, then stick to it and don't lash out at people after the decision is made and you are questioning it.

You know how they say karma is a witch..... well.... there it is right there again. Maybe sitting 40 hours shy of the time required to be a 135 dawg is your "punishment".

Just so you know, sitting at 1160, you could still get a job with New Mexico Airlines. They're always hiring, and my bud is a Captain there now, I'm sure he could use a trusty FO.

Aloft comes across as a jerk. But so does everyone saying "I told you so". I think there needs to be a soul searching home study group.

Sorry to hear that, you just can't seem to catch a lucky break.

"Why didn't you go to GoJet?"

He should have. Everyone talks about how it's bad for this, bad for that. Seems like everyone I've talked to says to do whatever it takes to get that TPIC to get hired with them. "Lie, steal, and cheat" flight time.

Isn't the industry about getting on top and getting your own?

Back