UND -- general questions.

Thunder-Robo

Hey guys just got a few questions about UND, any input is welcomed!!

Senior in Highschool now and planning on going into their aviation flight under-grad program for the fall of 09. I'll hopefully be entering with my PPL @ 50ish hours.

-What are the admission requirements like? SAT/highschool marks? (I'm an international students btw, so i've yet to write my SAT.. any tips)

-How's the city/surrounding area? collage life?

-How are the planes we fly?

-Which aviation program should i specialize in? Commercial or Instructors?

**newer questions**

-Is reflying the PPL course actually 'bad'? i mean, all it is is building hours and getting used to the planes anyways right??
-->Is there a course for aircraft transitions? eg 172M/Ns to SR20s, Warriors and Archers? or is that part of the PPL course??

-During the flying courses, do you fly different plane types in different stages of Singles( ifr, v-ott, night ect.) or do you fly them at random?

Thanks guys!!

Senior in Highschool now and planning on going into their aviation flight under-grad program for the fall of 09. I'll hopefully be entering with my PPL @ 50ish hours.

-What are the admission requirements like? SAT/highschool marks? (I'm an international students btw, so i've yet to write my SAT.. any tips)

Thanks guys!!

Admissions is very simple. I got a 1500 on my SAT and was still accepted although I did come in through a study abroad program.

City... ummm. Anyone?

The planes flown here are really top notch. Lots of new planes and I think the oldest planes are 2000 model years.

Do the aviation management degree. You still fly but you get a business degree instead.

Dont get your private yet because if you havent already read somewhere on the forums, you will have to do some of the flying over again.

Yeah admission wise, it is really easy to get in. Plane wise you can't really ask for anything better. Although I'm not a big fan of the fact that the 6 pack is going away, too much glass in my opinion.

If you haven't started on flight training yet, simply put don't. It is better to come here with zero!

As for the degree I wouldn't just get a commercial aviation degree. Either do management or double major.

Come visit before you attend if you can. Not really required but you get a better idea of what your up against. Personally I can live with it, not that much to do but if you get a good group of friends (and your creative) its live able.

UND is really a great school. They have some of the best maintained airplanes and the actual education you get is one of the best in the aviation field. I wouldnt however put your eggs in one basket. Get the Aviation Management degree. I did that and took CFI/CFII as electives. The management degree will open a bunch of other doors for you.

As far as the city is concerned, life in GFK is what you make of it. Come in with low expectations of the city. Its basically a suburb. Make friends and have fun there. I'm from california and I really didnt miss the ocean or the mountains too much. Im sure that others will disagree with me on that but I really think its what you make of it. Winter is cold. I highly suggest you bring a jacket. :)

If you come in with your private you will be expected to take a private pilot test course. Some people say that course is a waste of time and money. I'll let you decide that for yourself but I will say that it serves as a sort of "standardization" course for you. There is the right way, the wrong way and the UND way of doing things. Before you move on through the rest of the flight courses they want to make sure that you have university level knowledge of private pilot material. Having your private though before you arrive at UND will give you a unique experience and will keep you from adopting the "UND only" way of thinking. Just be humble though and learn as much as you can in their course.

#1 Why bother getting your PPL? You're just going to do it over when you get to UND. Don't get your PPL or don't go to UND...

Admissions policy is this: You apply, you get in. You just have to deal with the super unorganized admissions department. Good luck applying as an international student.;) You'll get in don't worry.

It depends. If you are from a small town and you're used to making your own fun, you will be find Grand Forks to be a great college town. However, if you come from a big city like, say, Toronto, you will find Grand Forks to be a not so fun college town. If you want to have a really awesome "fun" college experience (like in the movies :buck:) go to a different university.

The planes are very nice. The facilities are top notch. This FTDs, well at least the warrior FTDs kindof suck. But they do their job.

Start pre-commecial aviation. You'll have 2 years to decide which path you want to go once you get to UND.

Look, I'm the guy who I'm sure nobody listens to because I say "Don't go to UND." How do I know this? Because there were lots of people telling me to avoid UND, and I completely ignored them. I was so excited to go to UND. I applied and was accepted at the beginning of my senior year, in September! I didn't really look at any other schools. Well I looked, but not very seriously because UND was "the best." I left UND at the end of my freshman year extremely disappointed. The real UND was nothing like the UND I had pictured when I applied. The whole point here is to look around at some other schools. Don’t get the UND tunnel vision like I did. Visit some schools and if you see a school you like, go for it. That's my .02.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I hope it works out for you! :)

thanks for all the info guys! :)

Seems like the general idea is not to do my PPL before entering, but i'm currently at 37hours and am a flight or two away from doing my flight test so i think i'm going to just get-er' done so i can fly friends and family around :)

Thanks for the encouragement guys!

more questions in bottom of post 1.

**newer questions**

-Is reflying the PPL course actually 'bad'? i mean, all it is is building hours and getting used to the planes anyways right??

Yes, it is actually that "bad." It downright sucks. The whole "test course" could be done in less than 3 hours, but you will have a min of 14 hours. Realisticly plan on 20ish.

-->Is there a course for aircraft transitions? eg 172M/Ns to SR20s, Warriors and Archers? or is that part of the PPL course??

That is what the test course should be. But they make you refly a bunch of stuff that isn't necessary. As for transition to other aircraft, you will figure it out in a single flight once you move from course to course.

-During the flying courses, do you fly different plane types in different stages of Singles( ifr, v-ott, night ect.) or do you fly them at random?

V-ott? That must be canadian. Are you coming in with a canadian license? I think you will need to have an unrestricted PPL ie: you need to be able to fly at night.

You will fly the Warrior for 102, 221, 222. You will fly the arrow AFAIK in 323/324. You will fly the seminole in 325. You will fly many different N numbers but the aircraft's equipment is pretty much the same.

You've got your heart set on UND so... Finish your PPL. That will make things easier in 102.

Since you're going into UND with Foreign PPL, make sure you talk to the aviation department about what will be required of you with that license. It might be covered in their test course description, but I'm not sure.

**newer questions**

Thanks guys!!

How does a canadian PPL translate to FAA certificate? I bet UND wouldnt even accept just because its canadian and make you do the whole 30 lessons form the private course.

You're far enough in your training that it would be foolish for you not to get your license. I would recommend getting your license that you have been working towards and enjoy it! If you choose to come to UND you will have to take the 14 lesson test course. That's the way the program is. Some people are bitter about that course because of the extra money. You decide. I can say personally that getting my license my senior year in high school was well worth it. I believe that extra year with my license gave me some great experiences I couldn't get elsewhere. It's up to you.

There are people at UND and every other school that are going to hate where they are or love where they are. Each person is going to have a different perspective. With that said, read what everyone has to say here and then go visit the school. Develop your own opinion about what UND or another school has to offer and if it's right for you.

Good Luck.

If I can give one piece of advice about choosing a flight school whether it be collegiate or otherwise, DO NOT GO TO EMBRY RIDDLE! I transferred to UND from the Daytona Beach campus last fall and I can honestly say that I have zero good things to say about that school. It's a giant $h*t hole other than the nice weather...

...I should have chose UND to begin with right out of high school. I feel a lot more at home here, I love living in a "college town" and going to a "real" college. Also the way the flight program is done here and the quality of the instruction and facilities are the best out there. I'm completely happy with UND.

Also, I came in with a PPL as well and yeah it does kind of suck having to dish out the extra money to do 112 and relearning things the UND way you thought you knew to begin with but the experience
of flying somewhere other than here I think is pretty valuable.

Just how I feel about things here. Best of luck to ya

Thanks for all the tips guys.

--What courses do you recommend me take while i'm there??

--Where to stay? dorm or apartment? on campus off campus??

I'm currently in the PPL test course (AVIT112) and I'll admit the amount of time I'm spending retaking things is getting annoying. The test course is 17 lessons now, not 14. On top of that you need to take a semester of private pilot ground school which covers the same information you learn to pass your PPL written.

On the bright side, it's only one semester and then you can move forward. Plus it's the easiest 5 credits you'll get since you already know everything. If you can afford it, finish up your PPL and enjoy it before coming to college. Afterall, flying is supposed to be fun, right?

Also one of the scholarships I'm getting from UND requires you to live in the dorms for the first year, so you might want to look into that. It's definitely an experience.. haven't been here long enough to tell you if it's a good or bad one yet.

I'm currently in the PPL test course (AVIT112) and I'll admit the amount of time I'm spending retaking things is getting annoying. The test course is 17 lessons now, not 14. On top of that you need to take a semester of private pilot ground school which covers the same information you learn to pass your PPL written.

On the bright side, it's only one semester and then you can move forward. Plus it's the easiest 6 credits you'll get since you already know everything. If you can afford it, finish up your PPL and enjoy it before coming to college. Afterall, flying is supposed to be fun, right?

Also one of the scholarships I'm getting from UND requires you to live in the dorms for the first year, so you might want to look into that. It's definitely an experience.. haven't been here long enough to tell you if it's a good or bad one yet.

Whoa!! 102 is 6 credits? I think its still 5. 17 lessons for the test course? They must have added 3 safety briefings with with dana.

Oh it might be 5 credits.. it's 17 lessons though. Yup, the extra briefings so you can go over the ground school material... again. I've been getting mad cases of deja vu sitting in those.

I can confirm that it is indeed 17 lessons (I'm on 13 right now); there are quite a few ground briefs. 112 has, for the first time, made me not want to go flying. Yes, it is that bad. Make sure that you REALLY want to be here if you feel like putting yourself through the "test course" since it's really frustrating watching your time and money get piddled away doing obscene amounts of retraining no matter what your proficiency level. IMHO, the test course should be a basic BFR with the results determining the amount of training needed, followed by a TAA transition course, if needed (this really isn't a part of 112 and I'm still not comfortable with the Entegra), a ground/flight lesson or two on GFK operations and reporting points, and a stage check. Ideally, I'd like to see an option to show up a week early to UND, fly the test course, and enroll in 221 for the 1st semester. Will any of this ever happen? Doubtful...

I can confirm that it is indeed 17 lessons (I'm on 13 right now); there are quite a few ground briefs. 112 has, for the first time, made me not want to go flying. Yes, it is that bad. Make sure that you REALLY want to be here if you feel like putting yourself through the "test course" since it's really frustrating watching your time and money get piddled away doing obscene amounts of retraining no matter what your proficiency level. IMHO, the test course should be a basic BFR with the results determining the amount of training needed, followed by a TAA transition course, if needed (this really isn't a part of 112 and I'm still not comfortable with the Entegra), a ground/flight lesson or two on GFK operations and reporting points, and a stage check. Ideally, I'd like to see an option to show up a week early to UND, fly the test course, and enroll in 221 for the 1st semester. Will any of this ever happen? Doubtful...

just purely curious to know what you dont like/have a hard time with on the glass?

personally i prefer the 6pack, i find it easier on the eyes, and easier to quickly get *general* information and trend from looking at a dial and needle instead of looking at a number readout, tape, magenta trend line, etc....

It isn't so much having a hard time with it as it is wanting to learn all of the capabilities of the system. I'd really like to dive into the advanced capabilities of the 430 and the Entegra, but I'm having to teach myself with the manuals and the mentor trainer.

On the bright side, it's only one semester and then you can move forward. Plus it's the easiest 5 credits you'll get since you already know everything. If you can afford it, finish up your PPL and enjoy it before coming to college. Afterall, flying is supposed to be fun, right?

17 lessons!!!? WTF? UND what the hell are you doing??? Who's dumb idea was this? Just another way to convince others NOT to go to UND. UND makes my job easier every day. :)

I can't believe they ADDED lessons to that stupid course. They should be taking lessons out!

It isn't so much having a hard time with it as it is wanting to learn all of the capabilities of the system. I'd really like to dive into the advanced capabilities of the 430 and the Entegra, but I'm having to teach myself with the manuals and the mentor trainer.

here's garmins sims for their gps units... lets ya tinker around at home/on your own pace.

http://www8.garmin.com/include/SimulatorPopup.html

yeah i mean you can definitely do some nice stuff having the gps tied to the big displays..overlaying pink line on your hsi and mfd etc etc.

also nice being able to pull up airport info pretty easily in the gps... when xc to illinois a few weeks back i could often find relevant info for wx stations, airport info about runways, etc much faster on the gps than my buddy could find it on charts and afd's... score one for techmology!!

here's garmins sims for their gps units... lets ya tinker around at home/on your own pace.

http://www8.garmin.com/include/SimulatorPopup.html

yeah i mean you can definitely do some nice stuff having the gps tied to the big displays..overlaying pink line on your hsi and mfd etc etc.

also nice being able to pull up airport info pretty easily in the gps... when xc to illinois a few weeks back i could often find relevant info for wx stations, airport info about runways, etc much faster on the gps than my buddy could find it on charts and afd's... score one for techmology!!

The laptops actually come with all the GPS trainers and flight displays inside the Aviation folder on the desktop if you haven't removed it.

Back