UND -- general questions.

Your smiley face is backwards. That blew my mind for a minute. The aerospace tour is a pretty good way to see everything aviation related. Just keep in mind who the tour guides work for.

Senior in Highschool now and planning on going into their aviation flight under-grad program for the fall of 09. I'll hopefully be entering with my PPL @ 50ish hours.
Do NOT come to UND if you have your PPL already. It will be a waste of your money. Let me repeat just in case. Do NOT come to UND if you already have your Private.

-What are the admission requirements like? SAT/highschool marks? (I'm an international students btw, so i've yet to write my SAT.. any tips)
Admission requirements? A monkey could get into this school. It is a complete joke.

-How's the city/surrounding area? collage life?
The town is in rural North Dakota. Enough said. If you are into anything outdoors you are looking at the wrong place. There is very little to do at any time of the year - even in the summer. But, the people are very nice and you'll make great friends - with these friends you will invent things to do. If you find the right people, you can potentially have a lot of fun.

-How are the planes we fly?
The planes are in top notch condition.

-Which aviation program should i specialize in? Commercial or Instructors?
You should not major in Commercial Aviation. You should not major in anything too specialized in Aviation. I would highly recommend you obtain a Bachelor of Business Administration in Aviation Management but ONLY if you are interested in business and the several business classes you will be taking. If you are not interested in business, UND offers several other degrees completely unrelated to aviation that you can use as a backup during the inevitable furloughs you will have at least twice in your aviation career. If you do the latter option, you can minor in Professional Flight which will allow you to get all your flying certificates and ratings on the side. This is a much better option if you want to be marketable when applying for a non-aviation job WHEN YOU ARE FURLOUGHED (which WILL happen). So, for example, you can major in Electrical Engineering and minor in Professional Flight... or major in English and minor in Professional Flight, etc.

-Is reflying the PPL course actually 'bad'? i mean, all it is is building hours and getting used to the planes anyways right??
It is building hours on your dime and getting raped by UND for more money. It is very costly and can mean a huge additional loan payment when you are making $22,000-28,000 a year as a first year FO.

-->Is there a course for aircraft transitions? eg 172M/Ns to SR20s, Warriors and Archers? or is that part of the PPL course??
Not that I know of. It's not difficult to switch and learn a new airplane.

-During the flying courses, do you fly different plane types in different stages of Singles( ifr, v-ott, night ect.) or do you fly them at random?
AVIT 102 - Warrior, AVIT 221 - Warrior, AVIT 222 - Warrior, AVIT 323 - Arrow, AVIT 325 - Seminole.

Been pretty impressed with most of the UND grads at my company. Used to fly with a lot of ERAU grads (i'm one) when i flew on the east coast for another company, and I was always equally impressed by them. There are some serious dumbass-$hi1heads from both colleges who many use as an excuse to convince other folks not to go there. These schools do NOT equal experience, but it is a GREAT foundation. IF you can't afford it, you can't afford it, don't go into debt these days for aviation. There isn't money enough to pay for it in this industry.

Been pretty impressed with most of the UND grads at my company. Used to fly with a lot of ERAU grads (i'm one) when i flew on the east coast for another company, and I was always equally impressed by them. There are some serious dumbass-$hi1heads from both colleges who many use as an excuse to convince other folks not to go there. These schools do NOT equal experience, but it is a GREAT foundation. IF you can't afford it, you can't afford it, don't go into debt these days for aviation. There isn't money enough to pay for it in this industry.

I have to agree with that statement. It doesnt matter what school you went to, they all have there ups and downs. Some people on here chose to discriminate and be negative about UND because they feel it didnt give them what they wanted. In fact some of these people on the forum dont even go to UND anymore since they dropped out which is fine but then again how can they judge how you feel and what you want when they themselves left because they could not take it.

Grand Forks is out there as far as being far away from a large metropolitan area but its all how your attitude is. I came from Las Vegas to Grand Forks and I felt right at home because it has everything you need to survive. Now if you like houka bars and prefer to have everything open 24/7 with nightclubs galore, and so many different cultures clashing on the streets then maybe UND will be difficult. North Dakota is a rural state and you just have to deal with that. Now if you like good beer and making good friends then UND is the right place to be.

-Farva
Proud UND Alum

Do NOT come to UND if you have your PPL already. It will be a waste of your money. Let me repeat just in case. Do NOT come to UND if you already have your Private.

:) I think I've said this before but I wish I would have listened to you before I jumped in at UND.

I have to agree with that statement. It doesnt matter what school you went to, they all have there ups and downs. Some people on here chose to discriminate and be negative about UND because they feel it didnt give them what they wanted. In fact some of these people on the forum dont even go to UND anymore since they dropped out which is fine but then again how can they judge how you feel and what you want when they themselves left because they could not take it.

Some people love UND, some people hate it. That's fine by me. People come from different backgrounds, and since UND has both positives and negatives, if the negatives outweigh the positives they will probably leave. When I look at universities and colleges I sure as hell want to hear both the good and the bad.

I don't go to UND anymore. I dropped because I found the program unchallenging, and way too slowly paced. Those were the reason's I left. It's not impossible to live in Grand Forks but is sure isn't the greatest place in the world IMO.

You say I can't judge how someone feels, and you are right. But you can't either. Only they can make the decision to go to UND. We just give them our perspectives. If there was someone on jetcareers who went from a private school in a big city with lots of cultural interaction, to the University of North Dakota, I would have loved to hear about their experience. If had known that I was going to be going to a university where I could easily take 23 credits in one semester I would have gone elsewhere.

Grand Forks is out there as far as being far away from a large metropolitan area but its all how your attitude is. I came from Las Vegas to Grand Forks and I felt right at home because it has everything you need to survive. Now if you like houka bars and prefer to have everything open 24/7 with nightclubs galore, and so many different cultures clashing on the streets then maybe UND will be difficult. North Dakota is a rural state and you just have to deal with that. Now if you like good beer and making good friends then UND is the right place to be.

This is actually a REALLY good perspective on UND. UND does have everything you need to survive. Granted, it's might not be easy if city life is your thing. The best thing I can recommend when looking for a university is to shop around. Find a school that fits YOU!

Now if you like houka bars and prefer to have everything open 24/7 with nightclubs galore, and so many different cultures clashing on the streets then maybe UND will be difficult. North Dakota is a rural state and you just have to deal with that. Now if you like good beer and making good friends then UND is the right place to be.

Hookah Bars? Those are so 1999!!!

This is actually a REALLY good perspective on UND. UND does have everything you need to survive. Granted, it's might not be easy if city life is your thing. The best thing I can recommend when looking for a university is to shop around. Find a school that fits YOU!

I'm just being an ass... but GFK did not have everything to survive [in a healthy way]. Fresh affordable produce? Good quality meat? Forget about it. You're gonna be eating nothing but processed highly-refined carbohydrate boxed food with high-fructose corn syrup! Anything to support the local soy bean, sugar beet, and corn farm industry! It was something I should have known beforehand, but I was really naive.

Just look at the entire population of Grand Forks. Fat obese overweight buffalo people driving their big oversized Ford Crown Victorias (so they can actually slide into and out of the car) with stupid yellow "God Bless America" ribbon magnets...while they slam their 124lb Detroit door into my freshly detailed car.

I'm just being an ass... but GFK did not have everything to survive [in a healthy way]. Fresh affordable produce? Good quality meat? Forget about it. You're gonna be eating nothing but processed highly-refined carbohydrate boxed food with high-fructose corn syrup! Anything to support the local soy bean, sugar beet, and corn farm industry! It was something I should have known beforehand, but I was really naive.

Just look at the entire population of Grand Forks. Fat obese overweight buffalo people driving their big oversized Ford Crown Victorias (so they can actually slide into and out of the car) with stupid yellow "God Bless America" ribbon magnets...while they slam their 124lb Detroit door into my freshly detailed car.

Haha, I think this is your masterpiece UND rant. You left out the authentic chinese food. :)

As always, you have the trademark rants of ND! I love it. :D

Kind of ironic that you wouldn't have the job you have today if it weren't for UND.

Kind of ironic that you wouldn't have the job you have today if it weren't for UND.

Kinda what I was thinking

Missed the sale on humble pie? :eek:

Ah yeah, no need to totally slam on a place like that.

If you don't like it, fine. But there are people who might actually LIKE it, and find the school and the city a fine place to be.

I detest New York City. Wouldn't live there for anything. But that doesn't mean that I can't accept that other people find good qualities there that make them love it.

I detest New York City. Wouldn't live there for anything. But that doesn't mean that I can't accept that other people find good qualities there that make them love it.

:yeahthat: I think its hilarious that people bash small towns and small communities with "nothing to do" but enjoy each others company. Big city is just not for me.

Look I am telling the individual who asked the question that if he wants to go because they like UND that they should go to UND and that it is A Okay. I am just pointing out that some people who post about UND who say things that are either not entirely true or are just dumb because they either had a bad experience or they left UND so there info is maybe second or third hand and well anybody on here in a airline can definently agree that second or third hand info isnt always truthful or factual. Now I am not saying there arent cases where UND dropped the ball and trust me there are because no school is perfect. But i asked myself if I would do UND over again and go through the program. I would say hell yeah, because I didnt get a bad experience or some super avaition knowledge that made me better than other pilots out there, but rather a good foundation and a good group of friends who could even be your flight instructor or pilot up front in a airliner. The decision to go is always up to the individual and not to a bunch of people who think they know or could know.

Snickers and Stuckingfk gotta agree with your guys statements. They made my day.

Grand Forks is IMHO actually a pretty nice town. No crime to speak of, bar the usual college stuff, and everything you need to exist for four years. No, it isn't a major city, but there's everything you NEED there and most of the stuff you'll WANT. The school itself is also a nice campus atmosphere; the aviation department has an arrogant attitude, but the rest of the campus realizes that they're a state school in the middle of nowhere. I really enjoy the campus life at UND and I've come to grips with the fact that the aviation department probably thinks they could roundhouse kick Chuck Norris and get away with it :p

Back