UND -- general questions.

I really enjoyed my time in GF. My favorite thing to do was go to sporting events. Is anybody here in the Sioux Crew? All year long there are plenty of sporting goods to go to every week. Nothing beats going to McMenemies for 3 for 1's and going over to the Alerus Center for tailgating.

I didnt care too much for the aviation dept, but I did get a 4 year degree at UND....it just took me almost 6 years.

No crime to speak of

LOL WUT?

Yeah no crime, right. Aside from the countless acts of vandalism and drunken violence that I saw on a NIGHTLY BASIS??

I'm not saying I "heard about it". I FREAKIN SAW IT WITH MY OWN EYES EVERY NIGHT OF THE WEEK. Hell, even my apartment complex (a "nice" complex) was regularly vandalized, holes punched in walls, light fixtures broken, doors busted.

Lets see, my car was also hit-and-run while i was here, oh and freakin shot up with a pellet gun. COME ON.

No, its not "major" crime like homicide, but to delude yourself into thinking Grand Forks is a place free of crime is a dangerous position to take.

I would NEVER let a female friend of mine walk by herself in this town after dark. That would be absolutely crazy.

Where I'm from (area with a population slightly less than GF) we have a rape or homicide almost every night. Compared to that, there isn't much to speak of in Grand Forks...there's no truly crime-free community, but it's sure better than Bummerton, WA

Yeah I had my car broken into twice in GF. First time they took just my stereo. The second time they took all my stereo, amp, sub, and even took the little change holder that had like 2 bucks worth of nickels and dimes in it.​

:yeahthat: I think its hilarious that people bash small towns and small communities with "nothing to do" but enjoy each others company. Big city is just not for me.

This is fine and dandy until the town thinks that "enjoying each others company" can only be accomplished through partaking in outright dangerous binge drinking.

Kind of ironic that you wouldn't have the job you have today if it weren't for UND.

Going to UND did not get me the job. Earning the necessary standard FAA certificates, getting an internal recommendation, checking the Bachelor's degree box, showing up to an interview prepared and interviewing well, and just having plain luck, got me the job I have now. :buck: A girl in my class who went to a small Part 141 school (and no Bachelor's degree) here in San Diego with 275TT and 11ME got hired... goes to show that having the UND name plastered all over your resume does not get you places any more than other backgrounds do.

The academic side (non-aviation courses) on the other hand lacked any academic significance - not challenging at all and very unorganized. I feel very cheated in getting a quality business education from UND. I'm not saying the quality of the flight training at UND isn't good - it WAS really good. I'm just saying people should review all options very carefully before selecting a school. I did however meet some really good friends that could never make me NOT choose UND if I had the chance to choose UND all over again while knowing that if I didn't choose UND I'd never know them.

I do like to stir the pot. :D

I figured. That's why my response to it was only a sentence and not anything more than that.

Going to UND did not get me the job. Earning the necessary standard FAA certificates, getting an internal recommendation, checking the Bachelor's degree box, showing up to an interview prepared and interviewing well, and just having plain luck, got me the job I have now. :buck: A girl in my class who went to a small Part 141 school (and no Bachelor's degree) here in San Diego with 275TT and 11ME got hired... goes to show that having the UND name plastered all over your resume does not get you places any more than other backgrounds do.

The academic side (non-aviation courses) on the other hand lacked any academic significance - not challenging at all and very unorganized. I feel very cheated in getting a quality business education from UND. I'm not saying the quality of the flight training at UND isn't good - it WAS really good. I'm just saying people should review all options very carefully before selecting a school. I did however meet some really good friends that could never make me NOT choose UND if I had the chance to choose UND all over again while knowing that if I didn't choose UND I'd never know them.

First of all, UND is not the "end-all-be-all" to aviation/flight training. BUT, it does give an excellent foundation upon which to enter the world outside of UND. The REST of it is completely up to you (general you) and your attitude/ willingness to learn in gaining experience wherever that may be. Humble pie goes a long way.

You're absolutely right, though, that you attained the same certificates/ratings as others have.

To say that UND didn't help you achieve your job... I don't think you could say that with 100% certainty. Exceptions to the rule/norm have always been there (connections and whatnot, so who knows). Did that opportunity for you initially come off of the UND job posting site? (honest question)

Towards the end of the last hiring wave it seemed as if many companies were hiring with wet commercials. This hasn't been the case in the past (and doesn't look like the case now). In times past, being from the UND family has gotten opportunities for people that may not have been there for the rest.

I won't speak for Jace because I honestly don't think his was through a UND connection, but I do think that the UND name can help you in certain instances.

I recently got a job offer at Mesaba with only 650TT/27ME. Out of the people who interviewed, I had the least experience...same thing with Comair. When I interviewed with Comair, I had the least flight hours and my 27ME, offered me the job, too. The minimums were higher for both companies and I had no connections or resumes walked in. I'm not bragging about getting hired with the low multi-time I have. However, I do admit that UND graduates may be given a second look at times which can be a positive thing.

However, that's not to say I'm recommending coming over here. That's a whole different story that I don't care to type up. People can look back at my threads. :buck:

Where I'm from (area with a population slightly less than GF) we have a rape or homicide almost every night. Compared to that, there isn't much to speak of in Grand Forks...there's no truly crime-free community, but it's sure better than Bummerton, WA

i dare say, from anecdotal evidence, that rape and sexual assault is far, FAR underreported here.

I won't speak for Jace because I honestly don't think his was through a UND connection, but I do think that the UND name can help you in certain instances.

Nah, I wasn't aiming that at Jace - just in general.

Congrats with the job BTW. There are quite a few XJTers that wanted to go there through the preferential interview set up (myself not included though) that have not even been called to set up an interview.

Nah, I wasn't aiming that at Jace - just in general.

Congrats with the job BTW. There are quite a few XJTers that wanted to go there through the preferential interview set up (myself not included though) that have not even been called to set up an interview.
Hey, thanks, man. There were two furloughed XJT FOs at my time of interview. The rest seemed to be current instructors.

I have always felt that if one can't handle the BS around UND they most likely are not going to enjoy flying for an airline. I think UND does a great job at saving people money when student decide to transfer and/or change majors. A lot of Freshman have a change of heart quickly.

Not everything you need???? Must not have been to Judys Tavern 2.25 gets you a large glass!! Grand forks was not the best place i have been but fun while i was there!!!

Back