UND Contract Student Injured in C172 Solo Crash at PKD

First line I disagree with 2 bazillion percent... I didn't read the rest of your post, because I was slightly irritated with this quote..? Are you for realz? You’re a good guy I know, but daing that’s a pretty big statement…

1) I am not racist. I get a good laugh out of having to say that.. But that'll happen.

2) I think contract students are a detriment to UND's aviation program.

3) Though the students are awesome, and work hard, UND should be focusing on their OWN students. Rushing to put students through (though it may be safe, and I'm sure in most cases it is) is a sign to me that the focus is not on UND's own students, but on the China program. UND should be rushing to put their own students through.

4) International students are a big benefit for any school. However they should be involved in the school. For the most part, UND’s contract students were not. Maybe things have changed and they are actually involved.. my second hand information says they are not.

Anyway, Chinese, Korean, Japanese… Asian students are freaking smart, and work their ass off. They might have problems with language but that’s not *that* big of a deal. If there was an Air China flight school next door to UND, I would be fine with that. But UND’s mixing them in with the general students, and the priority (from the outside looking in) seems to be the contract students. So no, I don’t like it.. But my reasoning isn’t that I don’t like Asians…
most of UND's program exists due to contracts with China from 1989...........

2) I think contract students are a detriment to UND's aviation program.
You KNOW that's not how UND sees it from a business standpoint. :)

...Rushing to put students through (though it may be safe, and I'm sure in most cases it is) is a sign to me that the focus is not on UND's own students, but on the China program.

Here's a question to everyone: (Open discussion, seriously.)

How do you think Air China would see UND as a business partner if their students are not being put through the program at a fast rate?

How would UND feel if one of its foreign partners isn't happy with said rate, and what would UND do to correct it?

Let's keep the responses civilized and well-thought.

You KNOW that's not how UND sees it from a business standpoint. :)

Here's a question to everyone: (Open discussion, seriously.)

How do you think Air China would see UND as a business partner if their students are not being put through the program at a fast rate?

How would UND feel if one of its foreign partners isn't happy with said rate, and what would UND do to correct it?

Let's keep the responses civilized and well-thought.

It's a loaded question, a lot like trying to explain to parents why lil Johny is taking 60 hours to get there private when the regs only require 40 hours.

Like it or not, we live in a world that is driven almost exclusively by $$. I would be willing to bet dollars to doughnuts that UND presented Air China with its TCO and said lookie here, we can train someone from 0 to 250 hours (give or take) in 3 years (summer school) and they will have X Y and Z ratings ready for employ at your airline.

Does UND have any responsibility in knowingly training pilots to accept positions for, IMO, these students are wholey unqualified, I don't think so. It isn't UND's responsibility for what the students do after graduating and in a world driven by money, it is fiscally responsible to generate revenue.

I am sure the quality and level of experience the students leave UND with is made VERY clear, after that it is in Air China's (or whomever's) court.

Back