UAVs DRONE ALONG THE NORTHERN BORDER

bdhill1979

Gone West
Just got this in my email from AOPA:
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Members in the Southwest have had to deal with them. Now members flying near the Canadian border may have to share airspace with unmanned drones. But AOPA is continuing its efforts to ensure that its members aren't put at risk. The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) recently announced that a Predator unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) could start patrolling a section of the U.S.-Canada border by this fall, launching from Grand Forks Air Force Base in North Dakota. "While we know that the DHS eventually intends to deploy Predators along the northern border, our talks with the FAA this week revealed that there is no official timetable for starting the flights, nor has Homeland Security obtained a certificate of authorization from the FAA allowing their UAVs to fly northern patrols," said Melissa Rudinger, AOPA vice president of regulatory affairs. "And before they do fly, we'll work with the FAA to make sure that safety is maintained." AOPA has learned that recent improvements to the Predator's sensor package mean that it can routinely fly patrols above 18,000 feet in Class A airspace. That means no temporary flight restrictions would be required to protect GA aircraft from the drones while on patrol. "Predator climbs and descents are another matter," said Rudinger. "Along the Mexico border, the Predator UAVs are launched and recovered through existing special-use airspace." But there are no restricted or prohibited areas near Grand Forks. "AOPA would oppose any new special-use airspace created solely for UAV border patrols," said Rudinger. [/FONT][/FONT]

Now, I understand the value of unmanned aircraft in a combat zone, if its shot down, the highly trained (expensive) pilot is not lost. But what is the benefit of operating these over US airspace? Are predator drones cheaper to operate than a C172 which can easily accomplish the same mission?
A quick internet search turned up this:

http://www.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?fsID=122

This puts the cost of a predator at $40,000,000! It has a range of 400 nm so its not like one of the global hawks that can stay aloft for 24 hours or more. Not to mention all the airspace issues that have developed on the southern border and the one that crashed after a lost signal.
I am just wondering if there is something that I am missing that makes this a preferable platform that outweighs the enormous cost.

They ought to buy a new 182, hire a couple pilots, outfit the plane with cameras, ect. and save themselves some serious cash.

Well, here's the trick.

Boeing built A LOT of UAV's which the military didn't purchase and they're looking for non-military applications on which to use them. They might have a sale price of $40 million, but chances are, the entities using them for non-military apps probably aren't spending that kind of scratch.

If you ask me how I know, I'll have to cut you with my ulu knife. :)

How do you know?

<running in my zig zag patten down the road at full speed>

ULU KNIFE

ulu250_small.jpg

I just know a guy who is uhh, working on non-military apps for the overstocked UAV's.

Well, here's the trick.

Boeing built A LOT of UAV's which the military didn't purchase and they're looking for non-military applications on which to use them. They might have a sale price of $40 million, but chances are, the entities using them for non-military apps probably aren't spending that kind of scratch.

If you ask me how I know, I'll have to cut you with my ulu knife. :)
Even if it is at a HUGE discount, how can they take something with an original price tag of $40 million, and make it more cost effective than a Cessna? Or is it that the ones Boeing did sell to the military had a "special" military price? ($25,000 dollar hammer anyone?)

Yeah and you can't outfit a C-182 with AGM-114's. Though that would be a sight to see!:nana2:

Are they putting Air to Ground missiles on the ones patrolling the border?

You never know!:rolleyes: I wouldn't put nothing past them. the only ones that know are the power that be. They're up there for a reason. There must be some intel on something going down involving and infiltration of the US from Canada. It's not like we have thousand of illegal Canadians trying to sneak across the border to go work in the fields.

You never know!:rolleyes: I wouldn't put nothing past them. the only ones that know are the power that be. They're up there for a reason. There must be some intel on something going down involving and infiltration of the US from Canada. It's not like we have thousand of illegal Canadians trying to sneak across the border to go work in the fields.
Maybe its all the Americans trying to sneak into "el norte" for the free health care.

If I remember right the Cessna Bird Dogs in Vietnam were capable of firing missiles, maybe just smoke markers, but its a step in the right direction.

Yeah, they had Zunni rocket launchers for marking targets as (FACs) Forward Air Controllers. Hellfires are a tad heavier. You'd need a laser designator onboard or someone on the ground lasing the target with a hand held laser unit

Maybe one of us should nominate ourselves for a Darwin and try strapping some hellfires onto a Cessna and see what we can do.

I can't say that'd be a very exciting mission. I say let the UAVs drone for hours and call those with decision-making/foresight capabilities out when they're needed.

J.

I'm down with that.:nana2: If it works I got a list of people that need a visit.:bandit:
The way I see it either the Hellfires will blow us up or the Air FOrce will shoot us down. Either way that would easily put us in the top five for Darwin 2007!!:yar:

Back