UA CA diverts flight after argument with FA

OldTownPilot

http://www.flightglobal.com/article...verts-after-captain-and-flight-attendant.html

United flight diverts after captain and flight attendant argue
By Kieran Daly

United Airlines is conducting an internal investigation after one of its captains diverted a flight to deplane a senior flight attendant who he argued with.
Flight 842 from Sao Paulo, Brazil to Chicago O'Hare diverted to Miami early in the morning of 14 July midway through the scheduled 6hr 45min non-stop flight.
A source familiar with the incident says the captain ordered the purser of the Boeing 767 to leave the aircraft because he was "not respecting his authority".
The aircraft was on the ground for about an hour and arrived at Chicago just over an hour late.
A United spokeswoman says: "The pilot chose to divert the flight due to a crew issue"."
The captain felt the matter needed to be resolved on the ground, an FAA spokesman says. The aircraft landed without incident in Miami and was on the ground for less than hour before departing to Chicago, he adds.
Exact details of the incident have not been disclosed and United is investigating the matter to make sure that the decision to divert the aircraft was appropriate, the FAA spokesman says.
At the same time, FAA is investigating the incident to ensure that all diversion procedures were followed, he says.
Representatives for the Association of Flight Attendants (AFA-CWA) and the Air Line Pilots Association (ALPA) chapters representing United flight attendants and pilots declined to comment as they did not have details about the incident.

Interesting display of Captains authority.

I'm sure the article leaves out the juicy stuff, but none the less, thats a brave move on the CAs part.

Jeez ... someone in the PR department at United (if there's anyone left) needs to get off his/her keister and generate some good news for a change.

Bag fees, travel agent-screwing, breaking guitars, and crew slap-fighting...

Take a cue: Southwest dilutes news headlines about litigious strippers, FAA fines, and a hole in an airplane with a news about fare sales and charitable giving.

It doesn't have to be all crazy new offerings and in-flight features ... just some nice, cheap words. Are they really that morale-ly bankrupt?

I'll be interested to hear what went on with this, I've seen some amazing displays of arrogance, on the part of pilots AND F/As...

I'll be interested to hear what went on with this, I've seen some amazing displays of arrogance, on the part of pilots AND F/As...

Yep, i'm thinking they BOTH had egos the size of texas and the communication skills of a Vick special pit bull.

I've seen some 'interesting' behavior from both groups.

But worse comes to worse, when it comes to who is in charge on the aircraft, refer to your friendly FOM and InFlight manual.

I heard of a situation where a FA briefed the captain on how she was going to run the aircraft, when the cockpit could and could not call the cabin and a litany of other items concerning her expectations.

Let's just say after a few attempts to query who is where on the chain of command, it didn't turn out too well.

UNCONFIRMED...

The Purser of flight 842 was female. The Captain of the flight wanted the general declaration so he could add his signature to it. The Purser was not in a position to grab another flight attendant right at that moment to monitor the area so the gen dec could be passed through the cockpit door. The situation escalated.

The Captain made the decision to divert to MIA to have the Purser removed from flight for undermining his Captain's Authority. The First Officers on flight 842 advocated for MCO, since MIA is no longer served by UA Mainline. The Captain chose to divert to MIA anyway.

The Purser was removed from the flight upon arrival at MIA and sent to a layover hotel, followed by a deadhead back to ORD after required crew rest.

The ORD-GRU-ORD trip was the Captain's first trip back to the line after extended sick leave. The Captain has been removed from the remainder of his flying schedule. The Purser who was removed, has NOT been removed from the remainder of her flying schedule.

UNCONFIRMED...

The Purser of flight 842 was female. The Captain of the flight wanted the general declaration so he could add his signature to it. The Purser was not in a position to grab another flight attendant right at that moment to monitor the area so the gen dec could be passed through the cockpit door. The situation escalated.

The Captain made the decision to divert to MIA to have the Purser removed from flight for undermining his Captain's Authority. The First Officers on flight 842 advocated for MCO, since MIA is no longer served by UA Mainline. The Captain chose to divert to MIA anyway.

The Purser was removed from the flight upon arrival at MIA and sent to a layover hotel, followed by a deadhead back to ORD after required crew rest.

The ORD-GRU-ORD trip was the Captain's first trip back to the line after extended sick leave. The Captain has been removed from the remainder of his flying schedule. The Purser who was removed, has NOT been removed from the remainder of her flying schedule.
What a story!

I heard of a situation where a FA briefed the captain on how she was going to run the aircraft, when the cockpit could and could not call the cabin and a litany of other items concerning her expectations.

Let's just say after a few attempts to query who is where on the chain of command, it didn't turn out too well.

The nerve

:tmyk:

respect-my-authority.jpg

Back