UA CA diverts flight after argument with FA

waynebrady.jpg

Jeez. They're FAs, their best days are worse than our worse days... give them a break. Maybe I haven't been exposed long enough but I've never understood why some pilots treat the FAs this way. Ditto on the prvious post about EGO.:cool:

Sad isn't it?

A friend of mine was one of the flight attendants on the last mainline flight out.

No UAL mainline in IND, either.

Plenty of RAH employees "serving" three "mainline" carriers, though.

I'd love to hear some ACTUAL CONFIRMED facts on this divert. I think it will make interesting reading.

That being said, I personally don't believe that Joe Kolshak is on the Captain's side.

UNCONFIRMED...

The Purser of flight 842 was female. The Captain of the flight wanted the general declaration so he could add his signature to it. The Purser was not in a position to grab another flight attendant right at that moment to monitor the area so the gen dec could be passed through the cockpit door. The situation escalated.

The Captain made the decision to divert to MIA to have the Purser removed from flight for undermining his Captain's Authority. The First Officers on flight 842 advocated for MCO, since MIA is no longer served by UA Mainline. The Captain chose to divert to MIA anyway.

The Purser was removed from the flight upon arrival at MIA and sent to a layover hotel, followed by a deadhead back to ORD after required crew rest.

The ORD-GRU-ORD trip was the Captain's first trip back to the line after extended sick leave. The Captain has been removed from the remainder of his flying schedule. The Purser who was removed, has NOT been removed from the remainder of her flying schedule.

i'm skeptical this has to do with a gen dec.

The only way I would divert a flight short of it's destination for a FA problem is if I thought the FA was a danger to herself, the passengers or might somehow compromise the safety of the flight. Most personality clashes can wait to be worked out at the destination. I think this captain will have some serious explaining to do.

I've seen some 'interesting' behavior from both groups.

But worse comes to worse, when it comes to who is in charge on the aircraft, refer to your friendly FOM and InFlight manual.

I heard of a situation where a FA briefed the captain on how she was going to run the aircraft, when the cockpit could and could not call the cabin and a litany of other items concerning her expectations.

Let's just say after a few attempts to query who is where on the chain of command, it didn't turn out too well.
Haha, what do some of these people think the title "captain" stands for? Grins and giggles?

I'm thinkin' there's waaaay more to this story. Perhaps a little personal "history" between the two? It wouldn't be the first time....

The only way I would divert a flight short of it's destination for a FA problem is if I thought the FA was a danger to herself, the passengers or might somehow compromise the safety of the flight. Most personality clashes can wait to be worked out at the destination. I think this captain will have some serious explaining to do.

I can imagine if you divert, you'll have some 'splaning to do - the guy better have all his ducks in a row...

I'm thinkin' there's waaaay more to this story. Perhaps a little personal "history" between the two? It wouldn't be the first time....

Oh yeah, there has got to be a LOT more than the small snippets we've seen.... Being the Nosey Nanny that I am, I want to know what happened! :D

It scares me that people would let ego get in the way of getting people to where they're going safely. That's like the captains in the crew lounge talking about how they just argued with a gate agent for 10 mins on whose airplane it is when its parked at the gate. Who gives a crap, we're all in this together. If the gate agent needs to think its their plane to get stuff done, whatever. You gotta have a pretty small donger to get worked up about that.

That being said, I personally don't believe that Joe Kolshak is on the Captain's side.

See, I was going to go downstairs in the hotel and have breakfast and now I don't even feel like eating after seeing that name. :(

Ok...Doug, CalCapt and the others can correct me if I am wrong...but...

Short of a massive mental melt-down, an FA being a danger to herself and/or others OR an impairment in an FA that only becomes apparent during the flight (either drug/alcohol or other)...isn't this a massive Captain fail?

If the Captain is the leader of all things on a flight, I would think that something within his control (like Crew coordination or compliance) are his responsibility. If he has a hard time getting the FA's to comply, then isn't it HIS problem in leadership, or a failure in leadership, to have to divert? I would think this would call into question the Captains leadership skills. I get that some FA's are bozo's...but the Captain is being paid to be responsible for the flight and I would hope could handle a Bozo now and again.

Please correct me if I am seeing this wrong.

What happened to filing a complaint on the ground and letting a grieveance rep take care of it?

Weeeeeell, we're all judging this with minimum (re: none) details.

At my airline, primarily international, the captain briefs the crew before the flight. I've only seen a couple of problems pop up during the brief where a crewmember had to be replaced. One was an attitude issue and the other was a crewmember that came to work sick, notified the captain that she wasn't going to be working much and he had her replaced before pushback.

I've got a good friend at UAL, I'll try to get some specifics.

A GENDEC is a form related to clearing Customs. Passenger and cargo information, some signatures, etc.

UNCONFIRMED...

The Purser of flight 842 was female. The Captain of the flight wanted the general declaration so he could add his signature to it. The Purser was not in a position to grab another flight attendant right at that moment to monitor the area so the gen dec could be passed through the cockpit door. The situation escalated.

The Captain made the decision to divert to MIA to have the Purser removed from flight for undermining his Captain's Authority. The First Officers on flight 842 advocated for MCO, since MIA is no longer served by UA Mainline. The Captain chose to divert to MIA anyway.

The Purser was removed from the flight upon arrival at MIA and sent to a layover hotel, followed by a deadhead back to ORD after required crew rest.

The ORD-GRU-ORD trip was the Captain's first trip back to the line after extended sick leave. The Captain has been removed from the remainder of his flying schedule. The Purser who was removed, has NOT been removed from the remainder of her flying schedule.

Talked to a friend who is a ORD based UAL FA...she confirmed this as what happened (another FA she knows was on the trip)...that's all I got right now...

The Purser was not in a position to grab another flight attendant right at that moment to monitor the area so the gen dec could be passed through the cockpit door. The situation escalated.

The underlined portion is what I'm very curious about.

Exactly. Bill and I have been talking about this, and we both really want to know exactly what happened in the course of the "escalation"....

I'm not willing to take ANY side until I hear specifics.

Exactly. Bill and I have been talking about this, and we both really want to know exactly what happened in the course of the "escalation"....

I'm not willing to take ANY side until I hear specifics.

Here either.

I always figure, when things go pear shaped, keep it professional and to the point. If you want to strange the guy in the other seat, keep it to "checklists only"...

Back