UA 737 charter gone wrong at KLWS

Can't remember where I read it first.

"According to Greg Ward, president of Crane Aerospace & Electronics’ aerospace group, approximately 70 percent of aircraft carbon brake wear takes place during ground taxi since carbon brakes have inherently good wear characteristics during high-speed landings. "

Can't remember where I read it first.

"According to Greg Ward, president of Crane Aerospace & Electronics’ aerospace group, approximately 70 percent of aircraft carbon brake wear takes place during ground taxi since carbon brakes have inherently good wear characteristics during high-speed landings. "

That article is from 2008 and full of speculation regarding the benefits of one aircraft component suppliers hopeful advantages. A good pilot won't hammer on the brakes unless it's required, most times it's not and the folks in the back appreciate it. But what do I know, I'm just a dumb mechanic.

Here’s another one. Literally every article about carbon brakes says to heat em up good on landing and don’t cycle them a lot on the taxi. I’ve been reading up a lot because the 45 has carbon brakes and I know you’re supposed to treat them differently than the steelies on the legacy Lears.

We let the plane accelerate naturally to 30 knots, then apply the brakes to slow to 10 knots. It's better for the brakes instead of riding them. This happens a lot in Denver with the hills, and Vegas going to our gates.

We let the plane accelerate naturally to 30 knots, then apply the brakes to slow to 10 knots. It's better for the brakes instead of riding them. This happens a lot in Denver with the hills, and Vegas going to our gates.
I came across the airbus document that lays that out in my searches as well

For the earlier reference about Learjets on their tail,

1632191803112.jpeg

Fresh out of a 12 year inspection and new paint job as well.

Silly pilot tricks. That's a 36, everyone knows if you fill the trunk with the mains empty it'll have a seat.
Nope not a 36, a 35 (sn85) with a cargo interior, Dee Howard reversers, and a full trunk with a shorted out fuel panel. The FBO moved it once with the crew and they (the crew) told them only to move it with them sitting in the cockpit. The FBO later went and tried to without them in there with and they got the resulting photo opportunity.

I've seen it happen in person to EMB-120s and a 747-400. Southwest uses tailstands on the -800s, most airlines only do on -900s. They don't use\need them on the MAX8s, not sure if MAX9s do. The use of a tailstand allows boarding and unloading naturally, even if you wish to do the front first as several airlines do. Some carriers carry tailstands in the bin for charters, but I doubt that is done at airlines like UA where the 737s only do charters here and there, unlike Sun Country, iAero, etc. Either way, I agree it is stupid to design a plane in a way where it needs a tailstand or pax need to sit and wait for the aft bins to be unloaded...

Interestingly, LWS is one of the very last stations ground handled by SkyWest (who dumped most of the ground handling in the 2010s). Whoops.

Nope not a 36, a 35 (sn85) with a cargo interior, Dee Howard reversers, and a full trunk with a shorted out fuel panel. The FBO moved it once with the crew and they (the crew) told them only to move it with them sitting in the cockpit. The FBO later went and tried to without them in there with and they got the resulting photo opportunity.
I have always thought the 35 had 5 L/H cabin windows and the 36 had 4, in fact I can't recall seeing any that didn't, but after a little research I found out some 35's did indeed have 4 if the internet is to be believed. I don't have access to the manuals right now and you seem knowledgable about that situation so I'll take your word for it. Thank you.

Classic listenin skills right there

Here’s another one. Literally every article about carbon brakes says to heat em up good on landing and don’t cycle them a lot on the taxi. I’ve been reading up a lot because the 45 has carbon brakes and I know you’re supposed to treat them differently than the steelies on the legacy Lears.

I believe the Challenger 300/350 have only replaced one set of brakes in the entire existence of the fleet. The brakes just don't wear...

Back