U.S. Made Electronic Components and Microchips found in Russian SU-34, 35, 57s

Yeah nah that doesn’t explain why my squadron had to spend $400 per chair on the exact same chairs that were at Walmart for $64

I’m at the Weapons School right now.

We are all confused and concerned about what the Air Force gets to spend money on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back in the halcyon days of the Cold War, when supersonic overflight wasn't an issue and there were Nike missile installations aplenty, we knew (as children) to look for Civil Defense shelters in larger towns/cities and built family bomb shelters in the backyard (or learned, at least, to stock the basement with food, water and a transistor radio; learned to "duck and cover" under fragile desks at school, too, for the futile cover they offered. We watched grainy black and white films in school and TV commercials at home about "surviving the blast" and radiation and ... ad infinitum.

It may have been a vain hope but we were taught to find ways to survive the birthing into a different world that would be unimaginable, and - frankly (naively?) - believed that, somehow, some of us would make it to build again on the ashes of destruction.

I'm not sure exactly when the tide turned (late 1960s or early to mid 1970s, maybe?) but all these decades later I see almost universally that the pendulum has swung to the other extreme, sort of "eat, drink, and be merry - and kiss your ass good-bye - 'cuz when they push the button" (not 'if'') "we're ALL gonna' die."

Not suggesting the "old way" was better (it wasn't for very many); just noting the difference between then and now.

Last edited:
Back in the halcyon days of the Cold War, when supersonic overflight wasn't an issue and there were Nike missile installations aplenty, we knew (as children) to look for Civil Defense shelters in larger towns/cities and built family bomb shelters in the backyard (or learned, at least, to stock the basement with food, water and a transistor radio; learned to "duck and cover" under fragile desks at school, too, for the futile cover they offered. We watched grainy black and white films in school and TV commercials at home about "surviving the blast" and radiation and ... ad infinitum.

It may have been a vain hope but we were taught to find ways to survive the birthing into a different world that would be unimaginable, and - frankly (naively?) - believed that, somehow, some of us would make it to build again on the ashes of destruction.

I'm not sure exactly when the tide turned (late 1960s or early to mid 1970s, maybe?) but all these decades later I see almost universally that the pendulum has swung to the other extreme, sort of "eat, drink, and be merry - and kiss your ass good-bye - 'cuz when they push the button" (not 'if'') "we're ALL gonna' die."

Not suggesting the "old way" was better (it wasn't for very many); just noting the difference between then and now.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKqXu-5jw60

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZct-itCwPE

Furthermore, OUR gub'ment came up with Nike as a Brand Name. Therefore, the now multi-billion dollar company should not just being more in taxes, but also naming royalties to all of us good ol' taxpayers. After all, there is no "SWOOSH!" like that of a missile.

Furthermore, OUR gub'ment came up with Nike as a Brand Name. Therefore, the now multi-billion dollar company should not just being more in taxes, but also naming royalties to all of us good ol' taxpayers. After all, there is no "SWOOSH!" like that of a missile.
Yep, and yep. The first one, in particular, awakens old memories; the second, although satire, aptly captures the mindset - a great movie.

Yep, and yep. The first one, in particular, awakens old memories; the second, although satire, aptly captures the mindset - a great movie.
Strangely (or, perhaps Strangelovingly), that movie did not start out as a black comedy. It was initiated not as satire, but as a serious movie. But, you know, these were smart people. Smart enough at least to recognize that no reasonable person could take a nuclear-armed world seriously.

This is true. I stayed in perhaps the swankiest hotel and the bar was like "Roadhouse" and I thought, "Well, Waffle House can't be bad for breakfast" and it was like "Children of Men" inside.

If you’re ever there again you have to hit up John Boys. It’s on 98 near the base. It’s like Waffle House but better.

If you’re ever there again you have to hit up John Boys. It’s on 98 near the base. It’s like Waffle House but better.

I love Waffle House, that's a toughie!

My only Waffle House complaint are my fellow diners who try to have a conversation with me when I'm eating enough fat and grease that I start hating myself.

"What're YOWER plans this weekend?"

"DO I LOOK FRIENDLY?!"

My only Waffle House complaint are my fellow diners who try to have a conversation with me when I'm eating enough fat and grease that I start hating myself.

"DO I LOOK FRIENDLY?!"

Oh Waffle House is delicious and the only thing I miss about living in the south. It is arguably the best cultural contribution to emerge from below Mason Dixon.

Waffle House is so awesome, FEMA has a disaster scale based on the place.

“Whelp, Godzilla took a break from Tokyo, and decided to flatten Gulfport, MS but hey, Waffle House still has scattered and covered, so, we’re good.”

Nah they brought us crawfish boils too.

The bonus from boils in NOLA is they’re always on the same day of the week. If you had an aquarium, you could walk by a place before the actual boil started, and score a couple live crawfish for your tank. Toss them in, and they’d proceed to eat all the crud and generally clean up the tank. In a week or so, they’d molt, the fish would eat the crawfish, and the cycle would continue.

It’s the circle of life, Simba.

Nike is the goddess of victory in Greek mythology. They didn't just pull that name out of the blue and it's not a brand name it was a weapons system. The shoe company probably chose it for the same reason, oddly enough right in the middle of the Cold War, but I'm sure you knew that.

"DO I LOOK FRIENDLY?!"
They’re doing the Lords work today on Va Ave…

IMG_0139.jpeg

We bought titanium from the Russians through shell companies for a particular fast airplane.
I'm aware of that fact and always wondered what the CIA bought. Was it titanium ore, was it billet, was it sheets? I know I'll never get the details but the question remains, is there a rotting metal refinery in some indescript rural Midwest town rotting into the ground? That entire program has fascinated me since I was a very mall person.

Back