Two unlucky, but very lucky aircraft

It absolutely amazes me how this doesn't happen more often.

I've had two very close calls in just under 400 hours of GA flying, considering how many planes are flying at any given time, it's shocking it doesn't happen more often.

What also amazes the hell out of me, is that at 0500 a 747 at FL330 flying from KLAX->EDDF crosses with 0.0NM with a 747 flying from KIAH->EHAM somewhere over Eastern Canada with no other airplanes within 400 NM radius.

I mean seriously, it should be a statisical impossibility, but it happens all the time.

Job security I guess.

I don't know how many close calls I've had over Coolidge with someone on CGZ freq...
That area is scary, surprised there are not more accidents. Heading into the stack and shooting approaches into Casa Grande can be some scary flying. A few times I can remember calling off a lesson and going home because of traffic not talking or on freq

That area is scary, surprised there are not more accidents. Heading into the stack and shooting approaches into Casa Grande can be some scary flying. A few times I can remember calling off a lesson and going home because of traffic not talking or on freq

Even if they are talking in and around the Stanfield Stack, chaces are they're TransPac and you can't understand what the heck they're saying anyway.

MikeD: usually now the IP is the one doing the stack procedures, but they have to be allowed to do it themselves when they're getting ready for the checkride cause some of the DPE's won't do it for them. Honestly, I think the DPE's ought to do it for them...

Wow, that must have been one hell of a ride down looking out at the wing. Glad they'll both be able to go home and tell the story tonight. It can get busy out here, and there are foreign students around, but collisions are very rare. But. I've learned the hard way just how reliable those traffic reports can be under flight following. It just so happens one of those times I had misfortune of having traffic in my blind sight and vice versa, and it wasn't called out until a collision was imminent. So technically I guess you can say they kept the traffic "separated", but I'd rather traffic be pointed out before it gets to "Climb or die!".

It absolutely amazes me how this doesn't happen more often.

I've had two very close calls in just under 400 hours of GA flying, considering how many planes are flying at any given time, it's shocking it doesn't happen more often.

Come fly in FL sometime. There are so many foreign students and weekend warriors it gets rather sporty down here on a regular basis. I'm talking 10 to 15 aircraft crammed in a "practice area" that is maybe 10 x 5 miles. Not fun. I usually spend the extra 10 minutes of flight time and just high-tail it out of the area on days like that though. Not to mention all the Restricted Airspace and Sky-Diving outfits at all the uncontrolled fields.

Those alert areas west of KFXE are no joke. If going into FLL or FXE, do NOT go low on the glideslope.

And it's a light lighter than it used to be. Back in the day, you'd have to call FXE tower up 40 minutes prior to when you'd actually want to start heading back to "get a number".

Richman

Back