Turbine DONT's

Doing an external air start on the AE3007. Make sure if it is a diesel unit, that it is strong. Also make sure the ground crew know how to properly use it. Otherwise...
21570457.jpg

Question... Why can't we reverse thrust in flight? Granted I've only flown single turbines but we do it in those all the damn time...

This is what happens when you put it into beta range inflight.

http://avherald.com/h?article=46399869&opt=0

I'm sure this accident, the FO who was PF under line training, did it accidentally and the results were devastating. Why anyone would want to consider doing it deliberately, God only knows. It doesn't matter if it's a multi or single turbine that you're flying, you do not enter beta range inflight under any circumstances. In many aircraft, there are locks in place to prevent this from happening. I believe in this aircraft type, there's an electromagnetic lock that prevents the PLs going in to beta inflight, but the locks were in the open position.

There is also another accident where a Dash 8 of APNG allegedly went in to beta range inflight, resulting in a prop overspeed and a double engine failure. All onboard but the capt and first officer perished in that accident. The investigation is still on-going but it's looking more likely than not, the props went in to beta as well.

Rapid condition lever movement is not recommended

That's just the bro with the "prop overspend of death!" Though.

ehhh... even if your props won't overspeed, it is still a smart idea to be gentle with the condition levers.

Most passengers aren't exactly thrilled that they are flying on a "little prop plane", and any chance I get to make things a better experience for them, I take it. That includes being gentle with the props and not shoving them forward on short final or yanking them back quickly during the initial climb.

I honestly wish more pilots treated these airplanes as if they were the ones footing the costs. Might make them respect the airplanes a little more.

ctab5060X said:
ehhh... even if your props won't overspeed, it is still a smart idea to be gentle with the condition levers.

Most passengers aren't exactly thrilled that they are flying on a "little prop plane", and any chance I get to make things a better experience for them, I take it. That includes being gentle with the props and not shoving them forward on short final or yanking them back quickly during the initial climb.

I honestly wish more pilots treated these airplanes as if they were the ones footing the costs. Might make them respect the airplanes a little more.
This is very true. I always hated calling gear down and then being slammed forward because asshat shoved the condition levers to max.

Or how about this, when you're on a 12,000 foot long runway, max reverse isn't needed as soon as you touch down....

That's just the bro with the "prop overspend of death!" Though.
Even if you don't have the "fail deadly" 14RF9, slow is smooth, smooth is fast. The most annoyed I've ever been as a passenger was on a Pinnacle CRJ200 on a smooth day, with lots of rapid TL movement. "Stooooop it."

Or T6 while looking at torque...a uh, friend might have done that once on a hot day at a high altitude airport.

You know you can't do that on a garret(er well at least the -10's I flew), because it's a better engine.
And if garret er honeywell could design them that way in the 80's, well you're think pratt could get their crap together in this day and age.

You know you can't do that on a garret(er well at least the -10's I flew), because it's a better engine.
And if garret er honeywell could design them that way in the 80's, well you're think pratt could get their crap together in this day and age.
With the -11, you can exceed torque(mostly just with the AWI on), but it won't let you exceed temps with the SRL working. Love this! Engine failure at V1, power levers full forward. It'll bypass for you. Though some "hard bypass" and you actually get a little less than max power, but it's easy to fix that. If I don't touch a pratt again, I'll be a happy man! :) Now with the SRL deferred, this is the worst engine ever! Gotta figure out your max allowable temp for t/o, max power, climb(at 5,10,15 and 20 depending on how high you go), cruise, and go around power at your destination. Ugh! Though, not as big of a deal when all of your airports are at sea level and the temperature is 30*C.

Our EECs were an afterthought and are more focused on preventing compressor stalls at altitude, faster acceleration, etc.

With the -11, you can exceed torque(mostly just with the AWI on), but it won't let you exceed temps with the SRL working. Love this! Engine failure at V1, power levers full forward. It'll bypass for you. Though some "hard bypass" and you actually get a little less than max power, but it's easy to fix that. If I don't touch a pratt again, I'll be a happy man! :) Now with the SRL deferred, this is the worst engine ever! Gotta figure out your max allowable temp for t/o, max power, climb(at 5,10,15 and 20 depending on how high you go), cruise, and go around power at your destination. Ugh! Though, not as big of a deal when all of your airports are at sea level and the temperature is 30*C.

Really? Because I just read it off the takeoff-landing performance report and make sure we don't go above 816C...but I'm a 'stupid' regional pilot. ;)

Or how about this, when you're on a 12,000 foot long runway, max reverse isn't needed as soon as you touch down....

That too. Especially trying to put it in reverse with the nose wheel still off the ground.

Again... Respect the equipment and treat it like your own.

Back