TSA Snafu Damages Nine Planes at O'Hare Field

The best thing to do is contact Congressman Jim Oberstar, chairman of the House Transportation and Infrastucture Committe and Congressman John Mica, the Ranking minority member, and express your thoughts on this story and the Colgan pilot story. I sent e-mails to both today with links to both news stories. I think both congressman are aviation friendly. They need to hear from pilots about these issues.

http://transportation.house.gov/about.aspx

http://www.oberstar.org/contact/

http://www.house.gov/mica/messageform.shtml

Doubt they'd pay much attention to you, unless you happen to live in their districts. Incidently, If I just moved a few short miles up the road to Houston, I'd be in Rep. Sheila Jackson-Lee's district, who just happens to be chairwoman of the Subcommittee on Transportation Security and Infrastructure Protection. http://www.jacksonlee.house.gov/

Thank goodness there aren't that many 72's around or the TSA would "discover" that it doesn't take a key to drop the aft airstairs....

I can't believe that the FAA freaking ASLEEP and giving the TSA free reign to destroy airplanes fighting "straw men" at the airport? They're going to get innocent people killed one of these days by tampering with aircraft.

What's a brother got to do for some media attention on this?!

Thank goodness there aren't that many 72's around or the TSA would "discover" that it doesn't take a key to drop the aft airstairs....

I can't believe that the FAA freaking ASLEEP and giving the TSA free reign to destroy airplanes fighting "straw men" at the airport? They're going to get innocent people killed one of these days by tampering with aircraft.

What's a brother got to do for some media attention on this?!

If you tell the TSA about another particular series of aircraft that has rear stairs, I'll have to lay the smackdown on ya!

I guess we now need a security force to PROTECT ourselves from the TSA!

As I have said before, it should be the other way around, right? :banghead:

Oh, shoot, that's right!

What's next, we're going to have to carry around a few hundred keys or key fobs after the TSA DEMANDS that the doors are locked? :)

If they'd DO THEIR DAMNED JOB terr'ists (and wayward TSA agents) wouldn't be on airport property to start with.

Typical government institution. They pretty much did the equivalent breaking into your house to test your security, knocking over candle which sets the curtains aflame, but then discovers that mattress tag has been unlawfully pulled from your bed and issues a citation.

"Hey man! You burned my house down when you broke in!"

"Yeah yeah, but you removed a mattress tag, that's up to five years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000!!! What do you have to say for yourself, you cretin?!"

Well if it can't fly....

:banghead:

...it's completely secure!

Ahh, must be part of the TSA's "100% Secure Program".

Pitot tube here, TAT probe there, FOD'd engine over there, cut tire over yonder... We'll be 100% safe and secure in just a few short months!

Glad they're putting those PFCs to good use.

Here's a question: does anyone know of any crashes/ near-misses due to a TAT probe breaking for any reason? I would imagine that letters to congress people regarding what actually happens when a TAT probe breaks would put a little more "oomph" into the argument for firing the TSA/TSI people and/or fining them.

I'm pretty sure a broken tat probe wouldn't have any noticeable serious adverse affects in flight. Other than not knowing what the actual total temp is. But it is still an important piece of equipment, none the less, and shouldn't lessen the seriousness of damaging million dollar aircraft.

On preflight last night of a nice little 172, I come to find that Pitot heat is inop... That idiot TSI is snooping around the Northwest now!!!:mad:

<p>
Thank goodness there aren't that many 72's around or the TSA would &quot;discover&quot; that it doesn't take a key to drop the aft airstairs....</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>I can't believe that the FAA freaking <u><b>ASLEEP</b></u> and giving the TSA free reign to destroy airplanes fighting &quot;straw men&quot; at the airport? <u>They're going to get innocent people killed one of these days by tampering with aircraft.</u></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>What's a brother got to do for some media attention on this?!
</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>

Its in the news, but sadly before the FAA got on it the TSA put on a pony show using some donkeys.

Since it wasn't in the news saying an aircraft was going to crash or had crashed due to this damage the normals don't care and understand.

I would hope that the company will put pressure on the TSA to pay for damage to the aircraft and losses, plus isn't there laws that protect from damaging aircraft, I believe federal laws?

I wonder if the poi can do anything due to the safety aspects of this.

Here's a question: does anyone know of any crashes/ near-misses due to a TAT probe breaking for any reason? I would imagine that letters to congress people regarding what actually happens when a TAT probe breaks would put a little more "oomph" into the argument for firing the TSA/TSI people and/or fining them.

FWIW, all the jet aircraft I've flown use the TAT to feed the Air Data Computer, which has inputs to the FMS/MCDU/FMC(whatever you wanna call the magic box) which could give you incorrect performance data which could then lead you to climb to too high of an altitude and stall it, or run out of fuel.

The IRUs or AHRS usually use the TAT data to help stabalize the gyro platform and provide corrected gyro info, the better to avoid the dirt with.

...and most importantly, ADC data is used for the autopilot and autothrottles...how'd we ever fly (even the Jurrassic Classic) without?

Then again, the best on-airport security I've ever had was in Luxor, Egypt. The plane was sitting by itself on the ramp, and there was an Egyptian with an AK sitting on a rug under the left wing. Granted, he was asleep as the bus was approaching, and the bus driver started honking.

More indepth. Imagine the scene of a full-size bus with 4 guys in it blasting across a huge, yet empty, sans 1 ancient turboprop. The bus is careening across the ramp with blue smoke blowing out the exhaust, which of course, is mounted under the front bumper. Then we see the dude asleep under the left wing holding an AK across his chest. The bus driver starts honking the horn. The only thought in my head as this bus driver, who can't drive in a straight line, is doing this is "F-bomb (only the real word) Stop honking the G-D horn you AHole!...He's got an AK and we're in a bus careening at him!" The "guard" jumps up, and starts acting like he's been on it the whole time, devoid of the "they just saw me asleep" thought he should have had.

anyway, I still felt better than some dude climbing the probes. Then again, it's just an RJ, reach up and open the door. Maybe they left the "ladder use and application" module out of the TSA training...

This is not conclusive by any means but the Spanair MD-80 that ran off the runway was previously delayed 1 hour for an inoperate TAT sensor.

[FONT=ARIAL,]I'd laugh if the TSI tried something like this on a military ramp. Step one foot across that red line, and he'd be eating concrete while spread eagled with a very pissed off 18-year-old SP with an M-16 pointed at the back of his head. Maybe I should make the area around my private plane like that too now that TSA wants to start sticking their nose in general aviation; at least they couldn't call my security procedures inadequate [/FONT]

:D

They do not have the authority to climb aircraft and try to see if it can be broken into.

Which is it going to be?

Someone has to be held accountable, and honestly - the whole agency is a joke. A joke, that is costing us as taxpayers much more than they are ever going to provide. A joke, that is costing us as airline employees (more importantly - pilots) with increased liability if one of these jokers ends up deciding to check an airplane and break something without fessing up to it. I wouldn't put it past a couple of the high school kids who lack the maturity to respect people's items going through security to respect a companies property on an isolated airport ramp, clearly they failed to respect American Eagle's property.

Hate to say it, but it's my ass as an FO, along with the PIC's, if something is dinged on the airplane and no one knows why / how it got there.

Ummmmm, our entire government is a joke, costing us tax payers $$$$.........

I'm so pissed with all this. I know the TSA is a joke yet has TOO MUCH power. They need to be reigned in!
I will email my elected officials regarding this. Not that it will do much but at least they will hear from a constituant (sp).

I think I have been flying those airplanes, I have had two airplanes this weeks have IAS differences of more than 6 knots causing SPS advanced.

The incompetence of the TSA is an embarassment.

My question is that if Rufus did this at ORD and was caught, how many other TSA Turds have done this at other airports without getting caught.

How many birds are flying around with a Jungle Gym for a TAT Probe?

F^&%&^%&^%&%&^%&)(*__*&^$^$+_ THE TSA

Hell, I'd make a custom lanyard that said that. I wonder if I would get the federal finger up the arse if I ask the next TSATURD I deal with how many airplanes he's climbed upon that day?

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Back