Truth about airline hiring

PaulS

A friend of mine called a bunch of airline recruiters, both majors and regionals. He said their picture of the industry is not as pretty as the flight schools say. He said the recruiter at ASA laughed when my friend said one of the flight schools said their will be a hiring shortage in the industry of qualified pilots. I guess, according to the recruiters, they have too many qualified pilots. Pilots with thousands of hours of flying are applying for regional jobs. So I called too and got the same answers: Finding a job as a pilot is not, nor will it be anytime future, any easier than before.

Anyway, just thought I'd pass on some reality, though I believe this site is objective and honest. I guess I never thought of it before, but if you want an honest, objective view of the pilot job market, call some recruiters.

Just my 2 cents.

Paul, I think you're about to have a thousand or so people give you "Yeah, no kidding!!!" type responses
grin.gif
, but yeah, you're right. I think that everyone who is serious about a flying career knows how tough it is, but I don't think it's gonna change their minds...

Flight schools want to make money, they're gonna exaggerate the truth or even lie if they get more students that way...

We had to chuckle at the posters at DCA "Delta is hiring 200 new pilots this year" Uh huh. DCA made it pretty clear that unless you are an idiot, then you would be getting hired at the end of their program. Expect they wouldn't put in writing for some reason [roll eyes] At least FSI was pretty honest with us. They never claimed any thing like that.

I'm not trying to make people change their minds. I know that most people here are smarter than that. I just wanted to put that to try and save even one person some money if they are toeing the line. If I can even save one person some financial pain, I would be happy.

That was primarily one of my objections of that flight school trying to use my companies name in their marketing.

What exactly was DCA trying to say about jetcareers? If you can't say, for confidenciality reasons, that's ok.

Sorry. I'm grateful for you all answering all my questions. I guess I'm just curious about the industry and want to learn. And remember, knowledge is power--much knowledge, much power; little knowledge, little power; no knowledge, no power.
smile.gif

Oh and John, as compensation for your answers, or anyone out there, you can ask me for free, honest, objective investment advice. I like teaching people about economics, particularly international economics-my major and favorite subject in the world!

Hey I ask A LOT of questions here, cause I don't know anything and I want to have a really good understanding of the whole industry so I can communicate with my husband about flying and know what he is talking about (and so I can impress him by saying "hey did you know that airbus.....")

went to a "information session" at the Lake union Mariott in Seattle for DCA this summer because i was in town. Anyway the recruiter was running the info session and let me tell ya. Hype Hype Hype our pilots are better than anywhere else, because we are owned by delta they hire us first, didnt say a thing about a degree, and we are the only one with a "direct track" straight to the airlines.

All that hype left a bad impression with me.

So i go up and talk to him about the school and mention I read Jetcareers frequently and have looked at the DCA section some.

Then he has the nerves to say "Well Doug is kinda on the outs at Delta because of his views on us". and says "well Doug just isnt up on the new schools because its so much different then when we was back at ERAU and training is different than back then".

Geez... crossed that one off the list.

[ QUOTE ]
Ever notice every post by PaulS is a question?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an aviation related site meant for both answering and asking questions no shame in asking questions.

My mom always said the stupidist question is the one you don't ask i.e. never be afraid to ask questions.
laugh.gif

Matthew

[ QUOTE ]
That was primarily one of my objections of that flight school trying to use my companies name in their marketing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't DCA=Delta Connection Academy own 100% by Delta Airlines?

Matthew

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't DCA=Delta Connection Academy own 100% by Delta Airlines?

[/ QUOTE ]

The way I understood it was that Comair owns DCA, and Delta owns Comair.

PaulS I was just ribbing you. I noticed you are asking questions all over the place, and if someone answers you here comes another question!

I am always looking for investment advice. How do you rate Mesa?

[ QUOTE ]
"Well Doug is kinda on the outs at Delta because of his views on us".

[/ QUOTE ] now THAT pisses me off
shocked.gif
mad.gif
.... he's not at all on the outs with Delta, in fact, he's one of the guys most talked about and noticed as he walks thru the airport - mostly because of this site....

for that piece of B.S. and knowing that it's an all out "non-truth" - I would never recommend DCA....that's not the way to "market" new clients
mad.gif

but not that i can recommend a flight school anyways cuz - i'm not a pilot... haha
shocked.gif
grin.gif
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Then he has the nerves to say "Well Doug is kinda on the outs at Delta because of his views on us". and says "well Doug just isnt up on the new schools because its so much different then when we was back at ERAU and training is different than back then".

Geez... crossed that one off the list.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm suprised I didn't see this earlier.

Private message me his name and I WILL CALL HIM MYSELF because that ABSOLUTELY PISSES ME OFF.

In fact, let me do this publically.

[ QUOTE ]
Ever notice every post by PaulS is a question?

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought asking Qs was what this place was all about!
laugh.gif
grin.gif

Back