To wear a Tie or no...

I mean how bad would it be to show up for a CFI interview in a nice pair of slacks and a dress shirt with no tie Vs a full suit.

Wow......ok. So apparently I've been studying way to much lately. When I first read the above, I read it as ".......no tie minimum controllable air speed a full suit." The big V with the little s. I surprised myself I guess........

I just tie the regular one and slip it on and off. No problems, only untie it for a cleaning every decade or so. I found the zipper ties tend to loosen over a couple of months and start falling. Of course now my tie has little company logos all over it so I can't get a generic one anyway.

I think you guys should show up for the interview in a wife beater, jean shorts, and flip flops.

Oh, don't forget your leather helmet and goggles!

Oh and let us get something straight....

clipons & zipper ties are NOT acceptable interview apparel for any company!

Only when you are flying the line are you granted such privileges :)

Oh and let us get something straight....

clipons & zipper ties are NOT acceptable interview apparel for any company!

Only when you are flying the line are you granted such privileges :)

:yeahthat:And if you fly corporate, I would think twice about wearing them period.

You know, it's not that hard to just tie a normal tie.

I've never really looked that hard, but can you really tell it's a zip-tie? I know the clip-ons are easy to spot.

I wore a full suit when I went for an interview to drive a street sweeper and pick up trash out of parking lots. Guess what, I got that job! Even wore a real tie too. Did I feel a bit out of place doing that? Yup but ultimately it was a real help to remove any doubt of my seriousness of wanting the job in the first minute.

Of course my first day on the job I dressed like I crawled out of a dumpster which was great fun. That is why I have to stick with wanting to fly freight I guess.

If I ruled the world I'd say don't wear a tie, just come on in with shorts and a t-shirt. But the standard is not what I'd make it so I agree with most others on here who say, wear the tie.

* * *​

To those talking about the zipper ties -- I wear that at work and I don't know how you'd notice it is a zipper tie and not a regular tie unless the person wearing it has it pulled down real loose. If anything the zipper tie looks better than a traditional tie because the knot is perfect and never too wide or too long.

I kinda don't like how I have to not have a headset on my head to take it off though, and for eating or on long flights I'd prefer to take it off. I can see myself going to a clip-on tie later on because of this.

I think it also depends where your located. I live in a cowboy town out west and almost everyone wears jeans and a cowboy hat and boots. My employers are cowboys themselves and live on a ranch and appreciate hard working employees. I went to to corporate interview with pressed jeans, and a nice shirt, and got the job. There was another pilot from back east who interviewed about the same time as me who had twice the qualifications as me, he came in a full blown suit, and everyone felt that he was out of place. He didnt get the job.

Zipper Ties will set off the metal detector! I'm pretty sure there is a decent amount of metal in the knot piece... anyone else notice this?

I think it also depends where your located. I live in a cowboy town out west and almost everyone wears jeans and a cowboy hat and boots. My employers are cowboys themselves and live on a ranch and appreciate hard working employees. I went to to corporate interview with pressed jeans, and a nice shirt, and got the job. There was another pilot from back east who interviewed about the same time as me who had twice the qualifications as me, he came in a full blown suit, and everyone felt that he was out of place. He didnt get the job.

Great perspective

You know, it's not that hard to just tie a normal tie.

True, however I was born without opposable thumbs and can't do it. :buck:

I've never really looked that hard, but can you really tell it's a zip-tie? I know the clip-ons are easy to spot.

Nope, really hard to tell. As Nick said, the knot always looks clean if not too perfect.

Zipper Ties will set off the metal detector!

No sir! Go through those suckers everyday with mine and have never had an issue. :)

Sol Rosenberg said:
That is why I have to stick with wanting to fly freight I guess.

I must confess that I got my current job after a "job interview" with the chief pilot at a burger stand near the airport. He was in town flying the run I was applying for, and I'd just gotten off a 14 hour duty day at my previous job. I was wearing stained blue jeans and a tee shirt, hadn't shaved in three days, and probably smelled like a lockerroom from throwing bags in the august heat and bouncing around at 5000 in the greenhouse area of the ole baron. The interview basically consisted of asking me whether I thought I'd kill myself flying the airplane, taking a smoke break in the parking lot while telling FreightTales, and then giving me paperwork. That said, for the first freight job I showed up in a shirt and tie liberally speckled with sweat stains from walking across the ramp because the cab driver couldn't figure out what back alley corner the hangar was in. I got them both.

I'd still read the moral of the story as "wear a tie, it can't hurt." I definitely wished I'd had a tie on and a razor handy when I walked in to the burger joint and all the employees raised their hands and started throwing cash at me.

You guys do not seriously wear clipons. Please tell me you do not.

That is just WRONG, man! WRONG!

I think the trick to wearing ties is not to ever untie them that way in the morning you just throw it over your head and tighten. I have been doing it for the past 2 years and worked out well.

However, if my future airline/flying job requires a tie it will most likely be a clip-on.

Back