To wear a Tie or no...

Yeah, wear the tie. Dress to impress. I remember seeing people interview for a CFI job and I was pretty amazed by what I saw at times. Some would fidget badly, one dude was chewing gum! Turn off the cell phone during the interview, and its also a good idea to have your belt be the same color as your shoes. Firm handshakes = good, crushing interviewer's hand = bad.

The only time you shouldn't do a tie is if the place specifically tells you it isn't necessary.

I would NEVER go to a serious job interview without looking like a business professional (coat and tie). How seriously would you take the job if hired? That's probably the first question the recruiter will ask himself about you as a candidate. The tie and professional look is helping him answer that question.

Since when did a tie become overdressed anyway. That is the minimum business standard unless it is casual Friday or something. Think of it this way, does Donald Trump need to impress anyone with his suit when he goes in to a deal? Of course not, but he wears one anyway since it is the proper thing to do.

Since when did a tie become overdressed anyway. That is the minimum business standard unless it is casual Friday or something. Think of it this way, does Donald Trump need to impress anyone with his suit when he goes in to a deal? Of course not, but he wears one anyway since it is the proper thing to do.

But damn that's an impressive suit! :D Doubt he'd look nearly as intimidating without it.

You are never overdressed, just the best dressed. A good shine to your shoes does not go unnoticed. It shows attention to detail.

Good grief...I must be getting old. Wearing a tie to a job interview (unless you're interviewing for a car mechanic) is an absolute! As other posters said, better to be overdressed than underdressed. How you dress speaks volumes to a recruiter/interviewer, whether it's fair or not.
Remember -- there's no second chance to make a first impression. :)

I agree with (it seems like) everyone else here: wear the tie. First and foremost, be comfortable, which is not necessarily the same thing as being relaxed.

I can understand the thinking that a tie would be too much: you're interviewing for a job that has you sweating in a polo shirt most of the time (i.e., not wearing business/office attire). But, you should be comfortable bringing that level of professionalism and formality to the job if the school expected that, and not hesitate if they said that was the dress code (in turn, that will probably also improve your expectations for what you get from the job).

How about dressing for an informational meeting as a customer service agent?? Should I pull out the suit and wear it there, or should i just wear nice jeans and a button up shirt??

Comments and advice will be greatly appreciated :)

Robbie

NO! Don't wear the tie, way overdressed!
(Just playing devils advocate) :)

You know, now I think of it... maybe a really cool aviation tie, like a really bright red "remove before flight" tie! yeah that would be SOOOO cool = instant Job :D

Good luck man!

How about dressing for an informational meeting as a customer service agent?? Should I pull out the suit and wear it there, or should i just wear nice jeans and a button up shirt??

Comments and advice will be greatly appreciated :)

Robbie

If this has anything to do for a job do not even think jeans. You can never be overdressed for job prospecting.

If I have two equal candidates on paper. I am 9 out of 10 picking the one that took the time to present themselves in a professional manor. I would suggest against anything with a theme like the suggested aviation tie. You want the attention on you and not your tie.

Well, I got a job where I am required to wear a coat and tie every single day. And I didn't wear a tie to the interview.

Of course, I had an excuse.

It's really tough to put a tie on when you've got your arm in a sling.:cool:

Trevor, Just dont forget the leather flight jacket and ipod (being sure to leave them in during the meeting), and some jel to spike the hair:nana2:

Trevor, Just dont forget the leather flight jacket and ipod (being sure to leave them in during the meeting), and some jel to spike the hair:nana2:

:yup: YES, DO THIS! :yup:

But also be sure to demonstrate your social network and let the interviewers hear your ossum new Lil Wayne ringtone ("Shawty say I lo-lo-lo-lo-lo-lo-lo-lo-look like a lollipop" ... yeeeah).

Back