To wear a Tie or no...

Trevor, Just dont forget the leather flight jacket and ipod (being sure to leave them in during the meeting), and some jel to spike the hair:nana2:
don't forget the sunglasses on the head . . . that is the shiite!:rawk:

Tevas and a Swatch? No, Bumblebee! :)

And ain't no dag gum Dave Matthews concert! Might as well bring a bong to the interview and offer the guy a toke.
better not bring no schwag then, only the killer killer . . .:bandit:

This is the "model" interviewee . . . and yes, the monocle is VERY important! They can't help but look you in the eye . . . don't worry so much about the moustache, as long as you have the 3pc, monocle, cane, and stovepipe, your golden!
Monocle-man.gif

For a differing point of view...

I would suggest dressing business casual. I definitely subscribe to the school of thought that being overdressed is better than being underdressed. However, you are applying for a CFI position. If this was a career position I would fully advocate dressing the part. However, since in this career, this job is treated merely as a temporary position, a tie may be a bit overkill. In my opinion, that is what the market based wages, which are low, and quick turn overturn-rate suggest. Hope the interview goes well.

If you get hired don't out dress your co workers. they will feel like schlubs and hate you for it :)

We have a very strict 'casual' dress code enforced around our place and don't want that messed up!

Should I wear a tie for an interview for a CFI position? Shirt and slacks are a given, but most flight training is pretty laid back. It is a large 141 and 61 school with both foreign and local students. Definitely a more formal (uniforms) operation than a mom and pop fbo.

Wear it.

For a differing point of view...

I would suggest dressing business casual. I definitely subscribe to the school of thought that being overdressed is better than being underdressed. However, you are applying for a CFI position. If this was a career position I would fully advocate dressing the part. However, since in this career, this job is treated merely as a temporary position, a tie may be a bit overkill. In my opinion, that is what the market based wages, which are low, and quick turn overturn-rate suggest. Hope the interview goes well.

:sarcasm: Right? Right???? Please?!?!?!?!

:sarcasm: Right? Right???? Please?!?!?!?!

I wouldn't think so.

I mean how bad would it be to show up for a CFI interview in a nice pair of slacks and a dress shirt with no tie Vs a full suit.

When I interviewed for a CFI gig I did not wear a tie, but It was a story... It includes changing in a busy mall parking lot, buying clothes right before the interview that didn't fit and buying more, as well as spilling on my only pair of decent slacks. (note: "Tall" sizes do not necessarily mean for tall people)

What I wore that day (minus the spilled lunch) was what I felt comfortable in and felt portrayed me the best, thats how my students would see me. I don't think I had a tie available at the time, do remember trying to grab one but it just wasn't working out.

Even when I was an alcoholic college student trying to moonlite as a CFI, I'd get last night's conquest to help me put on the tie. Wasn't always even, and fabreeze was a necessary commodity, but a little scope and a tie haven't failed me yet.

Seriously, wear it. You shouldn't even need to ask this question. Worst thing that can happen is the chief instructor thinks "Here's a bootlicking nerd...let's hire him!"

You guys do not seriously wear clipons. Please tell me you do not.

That is just WRONG, man! WRONG!

You guys do not seriously wear clipons. Please tell me you do not.

That is just WRONG, man! WRONG!

LOL! I have both with me, but the zipper tie (NOT clipon!) is on 99.9% of the time. My 'real' tie is purely backup :)

Dont be hatin the zipper tie now...
Who wants to be trying to tie a tie when its 3:45am and you just slept for 4hrs and you've given yourself 10mins to wake up and be ready at the crew van?

Gives your that perfect GQ look everytime. :)

Sadly, the clipon is not exactly a rare thing seen it seems. The zipon is all good, but I refuse to wear a clipon! I always think of the movie Tommy Boy when I encounter a clipon.

Chris Farley: Haha, its a clipon
David Spade (mockingly): haha are you sure?

Back