This week's Hearings in NYC

Not accurate, unfortunately. This is what I thought also, but the bankruptcy judge in the American case did just this.

The reference you're thinking of is the Northwest Flight Attendant's contract under a bankruptcy proceeding, where the judge stipulated that the parties would continue to negotiate, but that the company could not impose worse than what was their last offer to the pilot group.

Now could Pinnacle ALPA REQUEST this stipulation? Sure, but it doesn't look to be a requirement after what happened with the American pilot group.

From a union update earlier last month:

"There are two basic outcomes at this stage. The first would be for the parties to reach a consensual agreement on modifications to the JCBA. The second possible outcome would be that the parties fail to reach an agreement and the bankruptcy court judge will decide whether Pinnacle is allowed to reject the JCBA and impose its final offer."

From a union update earlier last month:

"There are two basic outcomes at this stage. The first would be for the parties to reach a consensual agreement on modifications to the JCBA. The second possible outcome would be that the parties fail to reach an agreement and the bankruptcy court judge will decide whether Pinnacle is allowed to reject the JCBA and impose its final offer."

Have the 9E attorneys gotten the judge to stipulate to this?

I'd love to hear that the judge agreed to this.

Incorrect...the company cannot impose anything worse than the latest 1113 (which is still pretty bad). "Throwing out our contract" has been a term thrown around too much lately. The company does not completely throw the contract in the trash, they impose the terms of the 1113. According to the union on one of the P2P calls no ALPA carrier has had a contract fully imposed on them. The judge ruled that American could impose terms on its pilots, and the company has laid out a timeline where the full 1113 won't be imposed until next year.

Seems kind of odd the company is playing the "We need this to survive" card in court but says the "full 1113 won't be imposed until next year." Which is it? Honestly, I think their latest offer is just to make us the cheapest regional out there in order to secure flying. Their first ask in May is what they need to survive. The latest is what they need to undercut GoJets and make damn sure they can bid competively on ASAs. I think they know they're okay with the first ask, but they want the second ask. However, if they phase it all in at one, they won't be able to staff the planes since a lot of the airline will say "F it" and walk away. Or at least they SHOULD. Phasing it in just means most guys will say "Well, it sucks, but I have until next March to find another gig." And when March rolls around it'll be "Well, this sucks more, and there's more stuff coming down, but I have until after summer to find a new gig." They'll turn the heat up little by little and boil the frog slowly to keep guys from leaving in droves.

That's exactly why I would like to see the company's view of the court hearings. The union updates made it seem as if the company's ask was completely unnecessary. How did the company think things went?? Do they think they have a case??

That's exactly why I would like to see the company's view of the court hearings. The union updates made it seem as if the company's ask was completely unnecessary. How did the company think things went?? Do they think they have a case??
Any of those reps would gladly tell you on the phone.

Joe, John's right. Doesn't matter if you're at 9E or Eagle or XJT. All ANY of us can do is sit back and wait at this point.
I don't disagree with that point. In fact I'm not entirely sure why you think I need to be corrected on that point as all I said was I didn't need his criticism and clearly there's a lot more keeping pilot wages down than concessionary contracts. I went through the denial stage, skipped to anger and stayed there for a while, I went through disappointed instead of the bargaining phase, then back to anger, I hit depression for a while, and now I'm onto acceptance. I don't care how grim it looks anymore, I'm in good shape and I'm determined to see this stupid bankruptcy through. You are a terrific guy and I have complete confidence you have a bright future ahead, that's inclusive of family and job and any sports team as long as it's New England based. I do too but I think it'll be a little different road than yours.

The rest of this is directed at anyone critical of my pilot group that is outside the pilot group. It's a long read so feel free to skip:

Forgive my crabbiness but I don't need the STFD mantra. We are eventually going to get a choice on a negotiated settlement, the judge will give us new rates, OR we will fold. Items 2 and 3 I have no control over, as I've stated to infinity and beyond.

When we see the negotiated settlement, we have to vote as a pilot group. My single vote has four conditions to be met, everyone has the right to vote how they see fit free of criticism, including the guys who will vote for anything. I've got a couple ten thousand in the bank, my house (which is way above water and could be sold at a years income profit) is rented, I have no debt, the sides business is doing just fine and has plenty of room to grow, and the economy here is just fine if I need something local. Bring it, I like my odds, and quite frankly the beach is calling my name.

Previous management brought this on, management one step removed did nothing to stem the tide but did have the decency to tell us Delta wanted us in bankruptcy no matter what, and the current group doesn't have the decency in court to at least keep the facade of a engagement in the running of the company they are charged to manage. We've got so many internal management problems, in collusion with Delta, that sometimes I completely understand the mentality of let it fail. I have the responsibility to be realistic here and let the process work itself through to an end.

During the last bankruptcy, and you can talk to older Mesaba pilots about this especially in mem, pilots from a carrier whose name with be withheld used to tell us to STFD in the jumpseat of our aircraft, because it would "bring down the industry". Not only was our concessionary contract better than theirs they never matched it.

Were there regional airlines who had a higher bar than us? Yes, ASA and Eagle. *shrug* I don't really care to hear from anyone else after almost a decade, and that includes anyone merged with ASA. If anyone else is looking to raise the bar, just do it, I've got enough whining to listen to without the pilots of other carriers. If you can't get it done it's not our fault, you should have done a better job beforehand when our concessionary contract was better than yours (unless of course you are ASA or Eagle). We are captive in a process, don't blame the victim, and don't tell me how to vote.

I like our odds against the pinnacle management circus. If I get a chance to vote, and the contract is unacceptable, then I will vote no. If it meets my criteria, I'll vote yes. Hoping Pinnacle fails because it will make your negotiations easier? Fortune favors the bold.

This is why people should vote (if it comes to that) on what's best for them. I know I don't want us to go under but everyone has a point where it's too much and they say screw it. I rented my house out a month after we declared bankruptcy and my mortgage is covered. Ill cross the pond for a job if need be.

Rumor time! Supposedly we're gonna be looking at a TA within a week or two that includes buyouts for senior pilots and potentially Delta flow all funded by Delta. Guess the company's lawyers said the hearing was a disaster for management. Heard on elevator....don't shoot the messenger! To me the Delta stuff and buyout doesn't make sense but who knows.

Rumor time! Supposedly we're gonna be looking at a TA within a week or two that includes buyouts for senior pilots and potentially Delta flow all funded by Delta. Guess the company's lawyers said the hearing was a disaster for management. Heard on elevator....don't shoot the messenger! To me the Delta stuff and buyout doesn't make sense but who knows.

Doubtful on the flow, spoke with a higher up rep at CP and was told Delta management hates the flow and thats why it was canceled immediately after the sale. The flow throughs were negotiated through ALPA. Why would they cancel one flow just to have another one start up again at a different company? It is not like one produces better pilots than the other.

Agreed. Why should Delta allow a flow and why would they pay our senior pilots to leave? 9E definitely doesn't have the cash to do a buyout on their own. Would be nice to see a TA before the 1113 decision though.

The union has said a few times they are suggesting the company work out another flow with Delta since it will help solve some of our longevity problems. When I was in MSP a couple weeks ago for FOSA training the word around campus was that a more restrictive flow was in the works....almost more like a preferential interview. It sounded like Delta's biggest problem with the origional flow was that they didnt get to "hand pick" the candidates that would comeover. Hopefully if a TA is coming soon we will all know sooner rather than later.

God knows you can't have these hack regional pilots flying around Delta customers in mainline aircraft with just a straight flow. Sure, I suppose they fly around the Delta passengers now too, but pay no attention to that. Flows are bad because then the wrong type of people are flying around your passengers, and you have no control of your product. Right now, when they fly around the Delta passengers, they can't because they didn't flow, and Delta wouldn't hire, flows are bad, must protect passengers from stupid regional pilots, but they fly now with - does not compute - does not compute - does not compute - does not compute - does not compute - does not compute - does not compute - does not compute - ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz *booop boop beep*.

spatap0095.jpg

Ok, so I only hear stuff from rumors but the "rumor" is that there may have actually been something worked out to where if you have a descent attendance and employment record and a 4 year degree, we may actualy get a flow. Also I am hearing it may end up being a 1 for 1 swap of 200's and 900's, not 2 or 3. Again only rumors but I remain as always, cautiously optimistic.

Just talked to a guy who had a "reliable source" and he pretty much said the same thing (about the flow, nothing about an exchange in aircraft)...we shall see.

Back