This forum is dead!

I had a great time hand-flying freight in a piston single. Met a whole bunch of interesting people, got some great experience, worked hard, played hard, made a living wage.

I like my job now even better. Fly four times a week, weekends off, still a living wage, turbine pic, and if the engine quits I've got another one.

I guess I'm gloating!

Baj: new job treating you right? Do you get to fly in to "Real Airports" and be harassed by Kingair pilots to fuel their airplanes?

In the end, no matter what people say,
Boxes beat the hell out of passengers.
Rather have my dirty baron
Than a shiny RJ.

I only had 20 days off this month that really sucked:D. I let the FO greet the pax any ways so I don't even know they are there.:rawk:

I love being asked "so when are you going to become a commercial pilot?"
Got asked that this morning during my Medical.
Shoulda asked the prick when he was going to become a real doctor and work in a hospital. ######.

mikecweb said:

I need your Zen. At some party this weekend some of my girlfriend's librarian co-workers cornered me (another great thing about being a PILOT is hearing "oh, you're the pilot!?" when you first meet someone) and started asking me about my job.

"Cargo!? What like UPS?'

"No, it's a small company. We fly mostly cancelled checks."

"No, I'm serious. Cancelled checks."

"I guess the interest on them makes them worth flying rather than driving."

"Yeah, it has props"

"Yes, it's amazingly dangerous. I kiss the ground every time I land. Never let your loved ones near anything with props. Those things will kill you just for looking at them. Hey, I'm gonna go grab a beer to help deal with the fact that my death is imminent, just like your Uncle Elmer."

At some party this weekend some of my girlfriend's librarian co-workers cornered me (another great thing about being a PILOT is hearing "oh, you're the pilot!?" when you first meet someone)

I'm a heavy equipment operator, and I haul freight for a UPS subcontractor.

That's all they need to know.

Man, it's not like I volunteer this stuff. But it's a little harder for your significant other to pass off the "heavy equipment operator" line when they're asked what you do. And then...le deluge.

I think I'm just going to start telling everyone that I fly a cessna held together by baling wire and masking tape full of nuclear bombs, then tell them that if they get me another beer, I'll take them for a ride.

I get asked that by my passengers in the 207. My response? "I am a commercial pilot, and I Make more money here than I would in my first three years at an Airline down in America. They pay their people about 24k per year starting, have fun next time you're on expressjet."

My favorites are

Me: "I'm a flight instructor."

"So do you actually know how to fly?"

"Are you allowed to fly by yourself?"

Me: "Yes, I have a commercial license, and I have former students that work at the airlines." <-- (attempt to sound impressive to the general public)

"Oh! So do you know how to fly a 747?"

Me: "Well, I'm rated in multiengine airplanes, but every jet requires it's own license."

"Oh... so do you fly jets at all?"

Me: "No, I don't have any jet type ratings."

"Oh...." (with tremendous look of let-down and dismay)

"Yes, it's amazingly dangerous. I kiss the ground every time I land. Never let your loved ones near anything with props. Those things will kill you just for looking at them. Hey, I'm gonna go grab a beer to help deal with the fact that my death is imminent, just like your Uncle Elmer."

I usually say that:

"I work at airports all over the United States, Canada, Mexico, and some of the Carribean."

"I'm in the aluminum tubing business"

If it's a really cute young lady:

"I'm in the pipe laying business":D

Man, it's not like I volunteer this stuff. But it's a little harder for your significant other to pass off the "heavy equipment operator" line when they're asked what you do. And then...le deluge.

I think I'm just going to start telling everyone that I fly a cessna held together by baling wire and masking tape full of nuclear bombs, then tell them that if they get me another beer, I'll take them for a ride.

:yeahthat: but do I get to say that I fly a baron that is held together by my shoulder strap?

I'm just building time at this small 121 operator owned by this huge holding company so that I can meet 135 minimums.

I asked some S360 pilots how the flying box was...the ca said:
"It's not a box, it's a winnebago"

"I'm an 'H-SAT' laborer"

H-SAT?

"High Speed Aluminum Transport"

Oh.

Normally it ends there.

Inspiration? Hmm....I flew 16 hours in July and might hit 20 this month. I've never kicked back at work this much in my life.

-mini

"I'm an 'H-SAT' laborer"

H-SAT?

"High Speed Aluminum Transport"

Oh.

Normally it ends there.

Inspiration? Hmm....I flew 16 hours in July and might hit 20 this month. I've never kicked back at work this much in my life.

-mini

I have to agree. There's nothing like sitting in the FBO/pilot lounge for 9hrs watching Law and Order, lurking on JC, and chatting with various anonymous chicks on Facebook.:)

-mini

you and me both... I agree with KLB. At least most my friends are on west coast time so I can catch them up late... Nice to watch the Olympics live!

I hand fly an old school 747. A few days a month.

My company made 6 mil and change last quarter with a predicted profit of 80 some mil this year, and estimating over 100 mil in profit next year. We only fly 31 airplanes to make over a billion in revenue a year, and we're the 3rd largest US freight carrier (by RPKs).

and no one knows who we are.

Awesome.

Sounds good Polar. With all that practice hand-flying a 747 doing cargo, you're probably about ready to step up and fly people now. :sarcasm:

Back