This career rocks man, seriously.

Winning the lottery isn't easy either, but once you do, that's the life!

Actually I have heard and watched documentaries that for most people who win the lottery, life was better before they had won. A high percentage of lottery winners actually end up bankrupt and/or committing suicide.

It's not all roses.

0430 Van rides.
Not seeing your kids recitals
No stability.
Job losses
Whipsawing regionals all clambering for a piece of the pie.
Medicals.
Bad day checkrides.
15 seconds of oops kills YEARS of attaboys.
Lots more.

Just keeping it real.

Of course there are negatives. I never said that there wasn't. Come to think of it though, I want you to find me a job, any job on the planet, that is full of only positive, great things where everything is AWESOME. Now, if you cannot find sucha job, come back down to reality and join me in realizing that the career of an airline pilot is so much g*d damn better with all of it's negatives than half of the other jobs out there.

I think what's important is to take your uncle's situation in the context of what it took to get there. Granted he might be an '83 hire who didn't exactly take the difficult route (no offense), but odds are there was a lot of hard work, furloughs, bankruptcies, displacements, divorces, and paycuts to get where he is today.

With that said, if you can make it through the rough patches it's not a bad gig. I've spent the past week in Turkey and am typing this from Cairo; there's no way I'd be seeing these places were it not for this job.

I think what's important is to take your uncle's situation in the context of what it took to get there. Granted he might be an '83 hire who didn't exactly take the difficult route (no offense), but odds are there was a lot of hard work, furloughs, bankruptcies, displacements, divorces, and paycuts to get where he is today.

With that said, if you can make it through the rough patches it's not a bad gig. I've spent the past week in Turkey and am typing this from Cairo; there's no way I'd be seeing these places were it not for this job.

My uncle is 35, on his 10th year with the company, hired in 1998. Never had a furlough/bankruptcy/displacement/divorce/paycut. The last one I cannot guarantee lol. I do understand and know that his career progress is about one in a million; never been furloughed, and unless CAL goes under, probably won't be, and has had an utterly completely successful career.

Actually I have heard and watched documentaries that for most people who win the lottery, life was better before they had won. A high percentage of lottery winners actually end up bankrupt and/or committing suicide.

And my point would be?:D

Of course there are negatives. I never said that there wasn't. Come to think of it though, I want you to find me a job, any job on the planet, that is full of only positive, great things where everything is AWESOME. Now, if you cannot find sucha job, come back down to reality and join me in realizing that the career of an airline pilot is so much g*d damn better with all of it's negatives than half of the other jobs out there.

I think that some of the negative comments you are getting, or going to get on this thread might have to do with your perspective. Please don't take this the wrong way, but you are essentially an outsider, albeit with a closer view than the general public, who is telling the insiders how great our job is. No offense, but the phrase, "walk a mile in my shoes" comes to mind.

That said, you're right about this being a great job. Just don't try and gloss over the bad things about it, and trust me, there are some very bad things about it. If you pursue a career in any flying field, you need to be brutally honest with yourself about the good and bad. If you don't, you will end up like a lot of guys who are now being furloughed early in their careers. Bitter and upset. That's because they bought the lie that there was only one way to go but up, and furloughs only happened to crusty old guys who fly for third rate mom and pop operations.

I think that some of the negative comments you are getting, or going to get on this thread might have to do with your perspective. Please don't take this the wrong way, but you are essentially an outsider, albeit with a closer view than the general public, who is telling the insiders how great our job is. No offense, but the phrase, "walk a mile in my shoes" comes to mind.

That said, you're right about this being a great job. Just don't try and gloss over the bad things about it, and trust me, there are some very bad things about it. If you pursue a career in any flying field, you need to be brutally honest with yourself about the good and bad. If you don't, you will end up like a lot of guys who are now being furloughed early in their careers. Bitter and upset. That's because they bought the lie that there was only one way to go but up, and furloughs only happened to crusty old guys who fly for third rate mom and pop operations.

You make an excellent point. I am an outsider and I guess it could be viewed as this outsider telling the insiders how to do their jobs. My opinions come based on what my uncle reports to me. Currently he has had nothing but great and positive things to say about his career choice and had to convince me to continue persuing this field. He does tell me about some of the bad things that goes on, but he is one of the happiest working professionals that I have met, pilot or not.

, but he is one of the happiest working professionals that I have met, pilot or not.

Never being displaced, furloughed, or taking a paycut tend to do that to a person!:D

In all seriousness, please don't think that I'm trying to dissuade or negate your desires. Yes, this can be a great gig. All my neighbors think I'm filthy rich, because I hardly ever go to work, and several actually work for SJI too, at the GO. Little do they know! :D I'm only saying, don't be blinded by the good things. Most of the guys complaining now, didn't really understand what can and will happen during an airline career.

If you want to understand the airlines from a labor point of view, or how your career can be messed up by a bunch of nincomsuits, read:
"Flying the Line, Vol. I, II, III"
and
"Hard Landing"

Yup, it's actually a pretty rare occurrence to never have a displacement, furlough, paycut or have your airline just go TU....

Between Bill and I, we've been through 5 airlines, 2 furloughs, 2 paycuts, 1 displacement, and a partridge in a pear tree.... (4 airlines, 2 paycuts for him, 2 airlines, 2 furloughs & a displacement for me)

There's lots of positives, and there's lots of negatives.

Enjoy the positives, deal with the negatives and make them as positive as they can be.

...but he is one of the happiest working professionals that I have met, pilot or not.

In my opinion as a certified "old fart" that's been around the block (and in more than one career) being happy with one's work is almost entirely a function of the individual, not the job itself.

Got anything to say to the pilots that have been trying to get their foot in the door for over ten years eating crackers? I'm sure they are all ears open! I can put my two cents in for the rookies... Plan on CFIing and teaching English as a second language at the flight controls until you make the right connections (how ever long that may take).

This career rocks man, but seriously man... getting your foot in the door is the hardest part.

I'm not real sure what that means. Two years ago or less we were all on here talking about all you need is a pulse to get a job with a regional. I wasn't big on going to the airlines either. I had always pictured myself doing the 135 side, but I saw the opportunity at the airlines and took it.

I have to say I really enjoy this job. I was lucky to get in at a good time and it only took me a year to hold a schedule that I like. It is one of the greatest careers in the worst industry.

Andy

I'm not real sure what that means. Two years ago or less we were all on here talking about all you need is a pulse to get a job with a regional. I wasn't big on going to the airlines either. I had always pictured myself doing the 135 side, but I saw the opportunity at the airlines and took it.

I have to say I really enjoy this job. I was lucky to get in at a good time and it only took me a year to hold a schedule that I like. It is one of the greatest careers in the worst industry.

Andy

Yeah, two years ago is when I was going back to school for something else. I've gone around in circles trying to get ahead.

I've also never understood what's so amazing about airline flying. There's a big world out there, away from the airlines. With my work, I'm home almost every night, get most weekends and every holiday off, fly a wide variety of aircraft, and make about as much as a second year regional FO. Honestly, I never set out to do the work I'm doing, but I'm happy with it now that I'm here. And it doesn't take a tremendous amount of experience to do what I'm doing, it's not like I have the resume of an astronaut...I've just kept an open mind and worked hard. It seems like a lot of people "settle" for airline flying because they don't make opportunities for themselves elsewhere. Just my observations.

I'd have something good to say about it if I had chances that would stick around. What is the secret to "make opportunities" for yourself? Send me the magic. I get this vision of going to a company and holding it up at gun point. No, not robbing them but just demanding a chance to work there for a livable 30K wage :crazy:. Many careers start out or make much more at this wage after a degree in it.

If you are timing out for the year, you deserve some time off, bc youve been balls to the wall all year. Ive never tried.

This career sucks. But you know what? So does working at Home Depot. So does laying hardwood floor. What sucks worse is sanding and refinishing a hardwood floor. What sucks even more than that, is cleaning and buffing a floor in an autoshop. What sucks worse than that and worse than that, is being on furlough and having to bury your head in the ground to find money.

Every job SUCKS. Thats why its called a JOB. You're going to die in your life, so stop worrying about WHAT you do in your JOB and start giving more attention to WHAT you do WITH your LIFE.

This career sucks. But you know what? So does working at Home Depot. So does laying hardwood floor. What sucks worse is sanding and refinishing a hardwood floor. What sucks even more than that, is cleaning and buffing a floor in an autoshop. What sucks worse than that and worse than that, is being on furlough and having to bury your head in the ground to find money.

Every job SUCKS. Thats why its called a JOB. You're going to die in your life, so stop worrying about WHAT you do in your JOB and start giving more attention to WHAT you do WITH your LIFE.

>>applause<<

Glad to know you're still hangin' on man. Look on the upside. When recall comes you'll go straight to 2nd year pay. You won't know what to do with yourself.

I don't think this job sucks...in fact, I believe it ranks up there with one of the best in world even with all the negatives.

The pay is excellent for the amount of work we do. Doctors and lawyers work almost 3x as many hours as pilots. I got paid 20k this past year for playing video games and touring ATL.

I've probably used at least $30,000 worth of tickets non-reving. I don't know if I could ever stomach paying for a ticket with all this free travel.

I'll probably get called a koolaide drinker as usual. I don't care. I'm just glad I've been blessed to think positively and look at everything with the glass half full rather than half empty. I don't know how some people on here sleep at night...

I'm going to chime in and say this job rules. Still.

It doesn't rule for all the reasons I thought it would. Some of them, but not all.

I was a little bummed with it halfway through this year. Then I kinda.. let go.. a little and took a new look at it.

I have highly flexible schedules, which allow me to do a good deal with a little planning. I've got great benefits, and as I've said before... it definitely beats getting shot at out in the desert.

Furthermore... the scenery changes, I get to meet new people... and I get to fly planes.. for money. Sure, some days it IS a job, and it even sucks sometimes. For the most part, however, I cannot imagine spending my time stuck in a cube farm somewhere. I've never done it. Even the days when I worked out of a hangar all day, I still had an amazing view everytime I walked outside those giant doors.

This life is the road less traveled. So few of us get to see what's on the "other side of the locked door"- and not just in the airplane, but in LIFE.

Forget the clones in the business suits and burned out drones doing the daily commute. That's never been for me, and it never will be.

There's one place I've ever been where I wanted to just lock into the routine and let the days all run together so I couldn't tell the difference anymore. It was Iraq. It made the time pass faster.

Give me this life, with its ups and downs... ANY day. :)

Back