Thinking about joining Pan Am...

[ QUOTE ]
I attended Pan Am and completed their entire program flawlessly. After finishing their program and going through their new instructor indoctrination, it took over 6 months to be called back to instruct. They could have cared less what I did that time - they already had my 60 grand. When you are at the academy, you are not treated like a customer. They do not address student's concerns. If you complain about anything, you will not be hired on as an instructor, so you can't complain. Just an example. There is no library. An academy who is self-proclaiming itself the "Harvard of aviation" has no library???

Are you kidding me????

And instructors getting multi-time???

I know instructors who have been there over a year who have not instructed for ten minutes in a Seminole. Others have been instructing in the twins for hundreds of hours. Not fair - too much politics.

And the ACE program was a 7,000 waste. I have nothing to show for it. Nothing in my logbook. I was great in that darn sim over a year ago. I new it like a pro. What good does that do me now. I need to instruct in a single for about a year to build my hours to be anywhere remotely near hireable. Good thing I paid 7 Grand for 30 non-logabble hours in a CRJ FTD. Its cockpit would look foreign to me now after over a year since the program. The academy requires you to do the ACE program if you want to instruct there. It is their way of getting a few extra "free" thousand from you. By free, I mean that now that they have the sim, its operating cost is closs to nill. Why don't they let us do the ACE after we have already instructed at the academy and built up our hours to be close to airline ready - as a final finishing touch to our skills.

Turnover is ridiculously high. Not because people can't hack it, but because people can't stand the BS. One month I was there, we lost over 20 students. In about a year there the amount of students who left was more unbelievable.

Ask admissions to answer you this. How many people who have gone through the entire program at FPR from start to finish have been hired by an airline? Ask for names. I know of none. Yes - a handful who started at other places and maybe only did a rating or two at Pan AM, but none that I know of who did our whole program. How many of FPRs instructors have been hired over the past 6 months? And how many hours did they have prior to being hired?

And finally, how many instructors, after having borrowed 80 grand, and successfully completing the program, are bagging groceries at Publix and watching their flying skills get rusty waiting to get hired as a CFI by Pan Scam.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to give everyone an insider's look on the Phoenix area, every week Pan Am students and/or instructors come into our flight school at the scottsdale airport, looking for work, or looking to finish their ratings and somehow pay off their loans. The quote from above is a good sample of the complaints I hear from current Pan Amers every week.

Pan Am Pilot

Just have couple of questions about pan am (if you don't mind)

How many students are there at the school?
How many instructors?
Are there as many instructors leaving for the airlines then students coming in each month?
How many hours are the instructors building each month?
How long after the instructor passes the program until they are teaching?
What is the checkride pass rate?
What is the attrition rate and what are the typical reasons?
And finaly, how long and how many hours does it take to go from zero to hero at pan am?

these are all important questions from what i can gather

i appreciate your time in answering them

Shortfinal,
I can answer some of those questions, based on my personal experience at PAIFA.
1. the number of students depends on which campus you are talking about. I cant speak for Arizona, but Fort Pierce is gradually increasing the number with more Chinese on the way. The last I heard, there were about 140 students at Ft. Pierce.
2. The number of instructors is about 70. There is a 2 to 1 ratio.
3. There are no instructors going anywhere. I think 2 left to go to Trans States recently, but thats it.
4. Instructors hours...it depends on the instructor but I think it ranges from 60 to 80.
5. How long does a CFI have to wait? I finished in July, and I'll be happy if I start instructing by Nov.- Dec. So 4-5 months? Maybe more.
6. Checkride pass rate? Not sure, but it depends on the CFI.
7. Attrition rate? My class started with 12, only 3 of us finished the whole program. Reasons why they quit: Some thought it was too hard, some had personal reasons, some thought PAIFA was ripping them off. One guy wanted to be guranteed weekends off when he became an instructor, so he could fly some rich dudes King Air around on Sat. & Sun. When they said they couldn't gurantee weekends off, he got mad and left.
8. I myself went from 0 to MEI in 10 months, 300 hours.

The Turk.

Many thanks Turk for answering those questions. You seem to be a straight forward honest guy.

Is there any one who is willing to answer the same questions for the phoenix branch?

Hey Pan Am Pilot, you in the pool for Airnet as well?

What do you think about your $60K investment now? Do you think your CRJ skills will help you in the Baron? I though you were going to the reigonals straight from Pan Am?

Shortfinal dude, please don't waste your cash..if you must go to PA then pay for one rating at a time..look at Turk he's a great example of someone who was very successful at the school but now he's back in his old job waiting for a instructor slot and then it's going to be flying with Chinese dudes..jeez just go to a good FBO..look at Sawyer or even better Chandler Air Service, you will save thousands and thousands of dollars, there are no free tickets to the airlines anymore..even PFT Pan Amers can't get there right now..why not look at Westwind.. the training there is a as good and you won't have to spend all your cash up front.

Considering panampilot's experience he's not doing to bad going to Airnet. PanAm did help him and others get jobs at Airnet. Right now hardly any RJ operators are hiring so you can't fault the school for not getting grads jobs in CRJs. Yet just recently a couple of instructors have managed to get jobs flying turbine aircraft. How many instructors are leaving schools like Saywer or Chandler Air Service right now for any jobs? Are those schools hiring instructors? Not that I've heard.

[ QUOTE ]
Just to give everyone an insider's look on the Phoenix area, every week Pan Am students and/or instructors come into our flight school at the scottsdale airport, looking for work, or looking to finish their ratings and somehow pay off their loans. The quote from above is a good sample of the complaints I hear from current Pan Amers every week.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, but let me guess, you guys aren't hiring instructors either. Infact, I'd be willing to guess you guys have to many already, based on complaints you've posted in other threads. How much multitime are you getting out there at Saywer? I flew almost 500 hours in one year. Where are you at?

VFT00
"Just the facts mam, just the facts"

Tired i gather you work at pan am and have for some time! can you answer my questions? Also, do you enjoy teaching there?

[ QUOTE ]
"Just the facts mam, just the facts"

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure,
cool.gif

There's a few of us who see at as our duty to let you know what it's really like there and to save you money.

[ QUOTE ]
I flew almost 500 hours in one year

[/ QUOTE ]

At the expense of some poor kid doing a private pilot multi for no good reason other than to build hours for the CFI.....still instructing though aren't you, and I reckon you paid for a whole load of those hours. At least Sawyer won't charge you $60K for the privilege or telling you there's no CFI jobs at the end of your training.

You guys have been telling us for month and months about how great Pan Am has been for you, well apart the getting on with Airnet [which 300 hr CFIs were doing when I was there] what has Pan Am done for you? Where's the value in your $60K training if you can't get hired and are just the same as everyone else?

VFT00,
I take offense at your PFT at Pan Am statement. The only time I payed for was my training. Every pilot pays for the time they logged while training, (except military, but they pay that back with years of service). Is renting an airplane PFT also? So dont even go there. Hell, I could of went to Gulfstream which was only 2 miles from my home, but I didn't because they are PFT.

The Turk.

Okay Turk, you make a fair point. However, I do believe the intention of the program at Pan Am is to pay a premium price for training in order to get a placement. I used to be a firm believer that there were "incentives" to take Pan Am grads over other applicants but that doesn't seem to be the case these days. So my PFT remark is innapropriate and I withdraw it.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I flew almost 500 hours in one year

[/ QUOTE ]

At the expense of some poor kid doing a private pilot multi for no good reason other than to build hours for the CFI.....still instructing though aren't you, and I reckon you paid for a whole load of those hours. At least Sawyer won't charge you $60K for the privilege or telling you there's no CFI jobs at the end of your training.

You guys have been telling us for month and months about how great Pan Am has been for you, well apart the getting on with Airnet [which 300 hr CFIs were doing when I was there] what has Pan Am done for you? Where's the value in your $60K training if you can't get hired and are just the same as everyone else?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post VFT100. Enough said.

And I'd even say the ACE program is worse than PFT. With PFT at least you are logging something with your money -- even if it is just second in command time.
confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

At the expense of some poor kid doing a private pilot multi for no good reason other than to build hours for the CFI.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post VFT100. Enough said.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, getting the private multi rating has a good reason: You go to Route after that, building multi-time and total time. And not total time for CFI, but the Commercial ticket which requires 250 hours. So you get multi-time and commercial time requirements out of the way at the same time.

VFT dissing Airnet? and Mavmb siding with him? The continuing intellectual endeavors of the recurring Pan Am basher surpasses explication. It boggles the mind.

Aaah, my old friend E7B, there's just no beginning to your talents is there...

No one's dissing Airnet [hence my comment "in the pool as well"], just wondering why you have to spend $60K and a CRJ ACE program to get on there....seems a bit excessive especially if you're in the SIC program.

[ QUOTE ]
Turnover is ridiculously high. Not because people can't hack it, but because people can't stand the BS. One month I was there, we lost over 20 students. In about a year there the amount of students who left was more unbelievable.

And finally, how many instructors, after having borrowed 80 grand, and successfully completing the program, are bagging groceries at Publix and watching their flying skills get rusty waiting to get hired as a CFI by Pan Scam.

[/ QUOTE ]

E7B, this guy says it all, he's completed your program, would you call him a satisfied customer or do you just not care because you've had his money........

[ QUOTE ]
At the expense of some poor kid doing a private pilot multi for no good reason other than to build hours for the CFI.....

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not like it's my decision if someone wants to do private multi. Students know the order of ratings when the sign up. Pan Am pretty much do it in the same order that Riddle and ATPs do.

[ QUOTE ]
still instructing though aren't you

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, moved on from teaching...

[ QUOTE ]
and I reckon you paid for a whole load of those hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I didn't.

[ QUOTE ]
At least Sawyer won't charge you $60K for the privilege or telling you there's no CFI jobs at the end of your training.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pan Am doesn't promise you'll get hired. Although you will, eventually, if you aren't a complete idiot. You will have to wait a bit now, mostly at FPR, just like Flightsafety. So tell me, does Saywer hire all there grads? If so, then you must have a higher student attrition rate then Pan Am...there are hardly any instructors getting hired from any school.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard something like 20-25% of airnet pilots are former Pan Am instructors. I'd say your chances of getting hired at Airnet are much greater if you are a Pan Am grad. Yes, only a handful of people got hired over the summer. Nobody is hiring right now, it's extremely difficult for all instructors, not just Pan Am. Hiring has been getting slowly worse since 9/11 and haven't turned around yet.

Back