The sun! Argh! The sun!

Many windshields have UV blocking capability to some extent.
The problem, it is not measured over time or over a large spectrum.
Does the UV protection degrade over the years? What part of the UV spectrum does it block?
What percentage at each level does it block and does that change at higher intensities at higher altitudes?

So if you are sun sensitive (get burned easily), a trait not exclusive to the melanin deficient, then a good spread spectrum sun screen is advised.

I would also advise long sleeves since they are much more effective than sun screen.

You got that right! I could live in Tucson and be happy as hell, my wife on the other hand doesn’t like the desert.
Minus being hotter than the surface of the sun, Arizona really does have a lot of beauty. But there’s also plenty of “Florida level crazy”.

Not the cheapest but it works. I'm fair skinned and the sun and I have always had an adversarial relationship.
I think it's pretty neat that the Neutrogena site there has a seemingly-exhaustive list of the ingredients, but also you can click on 'em for an explanation for why they're there.

Benzene is a fantasticlly-good sunblock; basically opaque in the UV spectrum. You just don't want to smear it on yourself and, AFAIK, nobody makes sunblock containing it (anymore).

One of my first trips in NYC, I was in BOS with this really awesome Captain…having a drink at a “not Irish pub”, he grabbed my phone, went on my Amazon App and ordered them for me. They work awesome in the Bubble Guppy
They work awesome in the triceratops as well.

ahahahaha, goddamn

1685935602007.png

'Sunshirts' are made of UV blocking fabric, wore a long-sleeved one when I was flying gliders. Cotton shirts are much hotter and don't block as much UV as you might think.
After being demoted to powered flight I wore old-school DC headphones that cover the ears 'cause some of my retired airline friends had ear issues to deal with...

Kinderfluf doesn't fit very well in the 737s tiny windows :(

JustPlaneShades has one that fits in the DV window though.

My wife put me on this sunscreen she used when living in Japan. It doesn’t leave your face all oily and sticky. You can find it in Japanese marts or on Amazon. It’s called Anessa perfect uv sunscreen.

Do you like it? Does it work? Because it's not cheap.

'Sunshirts' are made of UV blocking fabric, wore a long-sleeved one when I was flying gliders. Cotton shirts are much hotter and don't block as much UV as you might think.
After being demoted to powered flight I wore old-school DC headphones that cover the ears 'cause some of my retired airline friends had ear issues to deal with...

I alternate between an exoficio sun shirt and a really thin smartwool hoodie. Both are super comfy no matter what the temp is

Back