The sun! Argh! The sun!

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
So I'm developing a fine appreciation for the suction-cup sunshades on the airplane, and a seething hatred for the knuckleheads who cinch the adjustment knob on the visor so tight, flipped backwards, that I need a set of channel locks to break it loose.

That said, there are two things I'm strongly considering adding to my flight kit, because Melanoma nearly killed my Dad and I'd like to stay ahead of this one and maybe not age so quick.

1) Sun/cooling sleeves. I do have at least one long-sleeved pilot shirt, I'm thinking sun sleeves during flight might be a little more comfortable. There's a ton of them out there - which ones are you guys using, if any, and why that brand?

2) Better sunscreen - I've been buying whatever little tubes there are in the travel aisle at CVS - sometimes it's Coppertone, sometimes it's Neutrogena. Usually 30-50 SPF. Is there something better out there, especially if it doesn't make me smell like I've been at the beach all day? Even better if it absorbs really well so I don't have a ghostly pallor when I first apply it?

2) Better sunscreen - I've been buying whatever little tubes there are in the travel aisle at CVS - sometimes it's Coppertone, sometimes it's Neutrogena. Usually 30-50 SPF. Is there something better out there, especially if it doesn't make me smell like I've been at the beach all day? Even better if it absorbs really well so I don't have a ghostly pallor when I first apply it?
My wife put me on this sunscreen she used when living in Japan. It doesn’t leave your face all oily and sticky. You can find it in Japanese marts or on Amazon. It’s called Anessa perfect uv sunscreen.

IMG_0310.jpeg

Is sunscreen necessary in the cockpit? I always hear cockpit windows have UV filters so sunscreen isn't necessary, but that radiation (which sunscreen can't block) is still an issue, whenever this discussion comes up. But a lot of people advocate wearing sunscreen anyway.

Is sunscreen necessary in the cockpit? I always hear cockpit windows have UV filters so sunscreen isn't necessary, but that radiation (which sunscreen can't block) is still an issue, whenever this discussion comes up. But a lot of people advocate wearing sunscreen anyway.

Ordinary glass naturally blocks UV-B. Windshield glass used in aircraft is thick and may or may not have metal elements in it for heating, so it may block most UV-A as well. UV-C is not a player since it's blocked by the atmosphere, but glass blocks it anyway.

FWIW, there are certain reactions (usually with peroxides) that I used in the lab that required UV to set the reaction off. We had to use special crystal flasks because pyrex blocks UV, and the reaction wouldn't work otherwise.

I've had good luck with Neutrogena Healthy Defense in general, I've never really noticed getting sunburned reallly in the flight deck without sunblock, but I can't imagine it hurts, plus if you're as pale and pasty as I am some kind of SPF is a good idea for everyday life. Either way I'd imagine some kind of moisturizing would help with this career and being in dry cabins all the time. I'm determined not to look like a shriveled up raisin by the time I retire.

On the subject, if you don't already, I'd recommend getting a checkup at the dermatologist every couple years.

I've had good luck with Neutrogena Healthy Defense in general, I've never really noticed getting sunburned reallly in the flight deck without sunblock, but I can't imagine it hurts, plus if you're as pale and pasty as I am some kind of SPF is a good idea for everyday life. Either way I'd imagine some kind of moisturizing would help with this career and being in dry cabins all the time. I'm determined not to look like a shriveled up raisin by the time I retire.

On the subject, if you don't already, I'd recommend getting a checkup at the dermatologist every couple years.

350 has a humidification AND a base in LAX. I'm just sayin'...

350 has a humidification AND a base in LAX. I'm just sayin'...
Determined to hit "proficient in widget" on Rosetta Stone first :p

Plus if we move to your neck of the woods I don't want to end up being one of those leathery Arizona people.

Curse you, Source of All Life! Those of us whose ancestors were born under clouds for thousands of years definitely need to think about this stuff. I just don't go outside basically ever when I'm not working. And take a lot of Vitamin D. Figure it probably evens out. Right? Hello? This thing on?

Back