The Streak is Over: ASA offers Voluntary Furloughs

Well, I didn't get the F- bomb. But my company is nice enough to send me to New York City!!!:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Good luck to you ASA guys...

Whats the word with the voluntary furloughs? Sound like many people will take em? They didn't work to well over here but if it saves a few people from the street then all the better.

Yeah they would ask for furloughs right around Christmas time. I never understood that about company's here in America.

Good luck to you ASA guys...

Whats the word with the voluntary furloughs? Sound like many people will take em? They didn't work to well over here but if it saves a few people from the street then all the better.

I can't imagine anyone would take a voluntary furlough, as the company is also offering year long LOA's and year long COMA's. At least you would be assured recall in a year with those, but with the voluntary furlough they just "expect" to recall 1st quarter 2010. Hopefully the COMA's and LOA's will save some........

Not even close.

I just don't see the point in speculating on our management's potential decisions on an internet web forum that is available for non-company eyes.

I have no issue discussing and speculating on our respective futures on a private, secure, accountable crew room located elsewhere.

I just don't necessarily see any benefit in having everyone and their mother being able to join in on the speculative fun. At least that is the theory that I subscribe to when it comes to my company, if others want it some other way - so be it - and they'll get the continued involvement by anyone who clicks on their threads.

Further, it's difficult to speculate on our respective futures when it seems we have in our midst enough shiny eyed giddy joy regarding the prospects of people being put out of work. Sorry, I can't share in that "enjoyment."

You seriously need to chill, this is not a top secret operation over here. You don't know what is going to happen any more than anyone else. There is absolutely nothing wrong with discussing what is going on at ASA. I can't imagine that anyone is, (as you put it) enjoying what is going on at ASA. We all should be glad that the company is doing everything possible not to involuntary furlough, although it may not be enough.

You seriously need to chill, this is not a top secret operation over here. You don't know what is going to happen any more than anyone else. There is absolutely nothing wrong with discussing what is going on at ASA. I can't imagine that anyone is, (as you put it) enjoying what is going on at ASA. We all should be glad that the company is doing everything possible not to involuntary furlough, although it may not be enough.

I need to chill?

Yeah, I'm going to chill about having my head on the chopping block.

I'm also going to chill knowing my responsibilities as a husband and a soon to be father.

I'm also going to chill about the overall job prospects in our current environment.

Yeah, I'll be sure to chill alright.

Discuss away, certainly not trying to stop anyone but I see no point in spreading rumors around about our company.

Oh and right - I need to be just so giddy that the company is going through the legally necessarily hoops that they must jump through before executing the involuntary furlough process. Oh yes, I'm so thankful. :rolleyes:

Anyway - it is what it is, and I am not going to blame anyone at our company for the fact that oil was speculated to the point that it has broken the backs of the aviation industry in this country to the point that further capacity reductions must occur. I'm also not going to blame anyone at our company for having to send myself and others to the street. So don't get too wrapped up in telling me to chill - especially over an online text based medium.

Merry Christmas and welcome to the neighborhood.

Oh and - I'm so happy the company is putting out a food spread down in the crew lounge. So so nice of them.

I need to chill?

I'm also going to chill knowing my responsibilities as a husband and a soon to be father.

I'm also going to chill about the overall job prospects in our current environment.

Discuss away, certainly not trying to stop anyone but I see no point in spreading rumors around about our company.

Oh and right - I need to be just so giddy that the company is going through the legally necessarily hoops that they must jump through before executing the involuntary furlough process. Oh yes, I'm so thankful. :rolleyes:

Anyway - it is what it is, and I am not going to blame anyone at our company for the fact that oil was speculated to the point that it has broken the backs of the aviation industry in this country to the point that further capacity reductions must occur. I'm also not going to blame anyone at our company for having to send myself and others to the street. So don't get too wrapped up in telling me to chill - especially over an online text based medium.

Oh and - I'm so happy the company is putting out a food spread down in the crew lounge. So so nice of them.

Your immaturity is overwhelming. If you were at several other regionals you would have already been furloughed. Just so you know, I'm not that far from the bottom either, so it is definitely a possibility that I will be furloughed. There is absolutely no reason to be pissed at the company, which you definitely seem to be. They have gone to extreme measures to prevent furlough, and have managed to do that until now. I realize the vol. furlough is just symbolic, but at least they are following the contract. Just what do you suggest they do? I would definitely be willing to do half-time lines to help keep people. I hope no one gets furloughed, but you have a terrible attitude. Oh, and just so you know, EVERYONE has responsibilities they need to take care of, not just you.

Merry Christmas, hopefully all the rumors are just that and no one will be furloughed.

Your immaturity is overwhelming. If you were at several other regionals you would have already been furloughed. Just so you know, I'm not that far from the bottom either, so it is definitely a possibility that I will be furloughed. There is absolutely no reason to be pissed at the company, which you definitely seem to be. They have gone to extreme measures to prevent furlough, and have managed to do that until now. I realize the vol. furlough is just symbolic, but at least they are following the contract. Just what do you suggest they do? I would definitely be willing to do half-time lines to help keep people. I hope no one gets furloughed, but you have a terrible attitude. Oh, and just so you know, EVERYONE has responsibilities they need to take care of, not just you.

Merry Christmas, hopefully all the rumors are just that and no one will be furloughed.
:yeahthat::yeahthat: I strongly believe if any other management team other than Skywest Inc was in charge furloughs would have happened a LONG time ago. This company actually cares about its employees and some people are too stubborn to realize it.

Merry Christmas!

1Your immaturity is overwhelming. If you were at several other regionals you would have already been furloughed. Just so you know, I'm not that far from the bottom either, so it is definitely a possibility that I will be furloughed. 2There is absolutely no reason to be pissed at the company, which you definitely seem to be. They have gone to extreme measures to prevent furlough, and have managed to do that until now. I realize the vol. furlough is just symbolic, but at least they are following the contract. 3Just what do you suggest they do? I would definitely be willing to do half-time lines to help keep people. 4I hope no one gets furloughed, but you have a terrible attitude. 5Oh, and just so you know, EVERYONE has responsibilities they need to take care of, not just you.

Okay Dokey. . .

1: So you know me now? And I'm immature? Excellent!

2: It seems you failed to read a couple of my sentences. I am not pissed at the company. Nor do I blame the company and management for the overall economic issues that have lead to the difficult decisions that must be made. But it clearly appears you are failing to recognize my opinion on this specific issue.

3: I expect them to do what they have to do and to not drag their feet unless they are not going to send people to the street. Some of us need to know when we can start other employment ASAP as opposed to waiting for our company to drag their feet so that while each day they do not make an announcement is another day that passes by before some of us know when we can start at other employment options. I also expect them to be upfront and honest about the challenges they are facing. I also expect them to exhaust all furlough mitigating factors (number of COMA bidders have not been awarded COMA lines over the past 4 months, a number of members have been turned down for PLOA over the past 4 months, etc). It gets back to being honest. I don't drink the kool-aid, and I've certainly noticed less and less sugar in the little company e-mails. All I ask is for sufficient communication, not that difficult.

4: It's amazing how much someone can gather about a person based off of an interweb posting. Terrible attitude? How? Because I don't share the same attitude as yourself, or an attitude that you approve of? What attitude would you like me to hold?

5: That's great. It's too bad I'm not concerned with everyone else's responsibilities. I'm concerned with my responsibilities to my family. Sorry

One thing I've realized is that it's best not to pass judgment on someone's attitude solely based off of his or her sentence structure on an online web forum. Engage in the statements said rather than some perceived "attitude" or "immaturity." Really want to talk about attitude? I couldn't think of too many people who would walk around telling people who are concerned about losing their current employment to just "chill out." But then again, I'm not too wrapped up about people's "attitudes," rather I focus on what they're talking about and address their opinions and concerns.

Maybe I'm just not that harsh.

I don't agree with the statement that the company has gone to extreme measures to prevent furloughs.. I can name quite a few individuals who were denied a coma line... I was personally denied a LOA after they announced them a few months ago. I think they have done a good job of not furloughing, but I wouldn't call that an " extreme measure.." I would probably label it as doing their job, but thats just my opinion. A buddy of mine recently told me that a high ranking individual told his recurrent class that they have approved every LOA request... I call 100% BS on that one.

I need to chill?

Welcome to the internets. It's one giant rumor mill.

3: I expect them to do what they have to do and to not drag their feet unless they are not going to send people to the street. Some of us need to know when we can start other employment ASAP as opposed to waiting for our company to drag their feet so that while each day they do not make an announcement is another day that passes by before some of us know when we can start at other employment options. I also expect them to be upfront and honest about the challenges they are facing. I also expect them to exhaust all furlough mitigating factors (number of COMA bidders have not been awarded COMA lines over the past 4 months, a number of members have been turned down for PLOA over the past 4 months, etc). It gets back to being honest. I don't drink the kool-aid, and I've certainly noticed less and less sugar in the little company e-mails. All I ask is for sufficient communication, not that difficult.

Based on a 13 year career which included 5 1/2 at ASA during the George and John days, if this is what you are going to expect from any airline management, you would do yourself a favor and get out of the industry now. Otherwise, you will find yourself being disappointed continually.

The inability to make long term family plans because of a lack of information isn't restricted to regional managements. They are dependant on getting info from the mainline partner and these guys can't seem to decide what to eat for lunch tomorrow, let alone what the business plan will be for the next five years.

I've been furloughed and it sucks. Just remember, there is life beyond the airlines. It's up to you to make what you will of your life.

Okay Dokey. . .

1: So you know me now? And I'm immature? Excellent! Perhaps immature was a bit of an extreme and for that I apologize.

2: It seems you failed to read a couple of my sentences. I am not pissed at the company. Nor do I blame the company and management for the overall economic issues that have lead to the difficult decisions that must be made. But it clearly appears you are failing to recognize my opinion on this specific issue. Try re-reading your paragraph number 3. You are upset that they won't just furlough you????? but then you want them to do everything possible not to furlough you???? What makes you think they are draging their feet?

3: I expect them to do what they have to do and to not drag their feet unless they are not going to send people to the street. Do you not realize this is a fluid situation. There are several factors that go into every decision. I guarantee if you asked them at the beginning of December their answer would be quite different. Maybe bad things happened in their meeting with delta? Some of us need to know when we can start other employment ASAP as opposed to waiting for our company to drag their feet so that while each day they do not make an announcement is another day that passes by before some of us know when we can start at other employment options. I also expect them to be upfront and honest about the challenges they are facing. I also expect them to exhaust all furlough mitigating factors (number of COMA bidders have not been awarded COMA lines over the past 4 months, a number of members have been turned down for PLOA over the past 4 months, etc). It gets back to being honest. I don't drink the kool-aid, and I've certainly noticed less and less sugar in the little company e-mails. All I ask is for sufficient communication, not that difficult. So you want them to furlough you and get it over with, but then you want them to exhaust all other means first. It takes time. I do however agree with you on the COMA's. They need to approve EVERY SINGLE ONE. I have never heard of anyone getting denied LOA's however. I also wish that they were a bit more forthcoming about delta's flying for next year, but they may not be able to tell us what we really want to hear. I also think the union should be more forthcoming. We get the email about vol. furlough and the next union email talks about the office hours over x-mas and nothing about the v. furlough.

4: It's amazing how much someone can gather about a person based off of an interweb posting. Terrible attitude? How? Because I don't share the same attitude as yourself, or an attitude that you approve of? What attitude would you like me to hold? You just need to re-read your posts to see your attitude. You haven't even been at ASA a year and you talk like you are an expert. You have NO IDEA how terrible the last management team was and what a lightyear forward Brad has brought us. I think he is doing EVERYTHING in his power to not furlough. In fact, I have heard several times that CT wanted to furlough, but BH said NO.

5: That's great. It's too bad I'm not concerned with everyone else's responsibilities. I'm concerned with my responsibilities to my family. Sorry Not saying you should be concerned with everyone else's responsibillities. There is no reason for you to post yours up here like you have something extreme, everyone else has the same as you.

One thing I've realized is that it's best not to pass judgment on someone's attitude solely based off of his or her sentence structure on an online web forum. Engage in the statements said rather than some perceived "attitude" or "immaturity." Really want to talk about attitude? I couldn't think of too many people who would walk around telling people who are concerned about losing their current employment to just "chill out." But then again, I'm not too wrapped up about people's "attitudes," rather I focus on what they're talking about and address their opinions and concerns. I didn't tell you to chill out about losing your job. If i was in immediate danger I would be looking very hard right now for other employment. I told you to chill out about your big secrecy thing about ASA. There is no reason we can't discuss what is going on. No one is posting internal stuff, and no one know what is going to happen. If reading these message boards is too much for you to handle, then perhaps you should take a break.

Maybe I'm just not that harsh.

I want nothing but the best for you and every pilot at ASA. I hope that no one gets furloughed and we are able to scrape through this tough time. Good luck to you, and merry christmas.

Back