The Rumors Are True- American Eagle Hiring in '09

Firebird2XC

There's a job fair 17 JAN 2009 in Miami, Florida.

American Eagle will be hiring in 2009. (The rumors were true.. go figure..)

Colgan Air will be hiring as well.

There are a few other outfits, but those seemed to be the ones worth mentioning most.

Potential applicants to American Eagle are welcome to PM me with any questions you might have. I'll do my best to answer what comes my way.

Linkage:

http://www.aeroservice.com/fair.htm

Word around ORD is the hiring is going to be for EX and not MQ. For the ATR's we are getting from ASA.

P.S.- Have fun in MIA.:D

I have also heard this...what is the chance of getting LGA? My buddy who is based there says shouldnt be a prob.. hope its true.

Thanks

Are Eagle mins near what they were last year?
I've been looking on a few sites and what I've compiled is this...

They list them as 500 TT/100 ME, but will accept 400 TT/50 ME. On a few other sites they say to be competitive you should probably have 1000 TT.

If you have the listed mins, certainly wouldn't hurt to apply.

Word around ORD is the hiring is going to be for EX and not MQ. For the ATR's we are getting from ASA.

P.S.- Have fun in MIA.:D

Thank you, I will enjoy myself in MIA. That's next week, though.

I've got a nice cushy VPS overnight in this sequence though. That should be nice.

I have also heard this...what is the chance of getting LGA? My buddy who is based there says shouldnt be a prob.. hope its true.

Thanks

Right now as I understand it, we're a little short on ERJ FO's in JFK & LGA.

However, I understand we're hiring for staffing for some ATR's we're buying/leasing and possibly some CRJ-700s that have been rumored to be on the shopping list. As those bases are ORD & DFW for the CRJ and DFW, MIA, and SJU for the ATR, I'd plan accordingly.

Keep in mind- Eagle was giving base of choice last year as a hiring incentive. Given the current state of the market, I doubt that's likely to happen this time.

My advice? Get onboard and start logging time. After a year's seatlock you can bid into any equipment your seniority can hold. Pay is the same for all FO's first year, too, so that's no factor.

Good luck to all those applying.

Make sure the cables are down! ;)

.. or just land past them. :)

One of the last times I was there, I saw an F-15 land while I was waiting at the Hold/Short. I'm fairly certain the pilot touched down just before the cable and then 'hopped' it on purpose. Cool move- I think they were showing off.

True story. They've actually got a "Whataburger" and a "Jack in the Box" in VPS. If you care.

True story. They've actually got a "Whataburger" and a "Jack in the Box" in VPS. If you care.

Huh? You lost me, mang. So it's podunk- we've got balcony view hotel rooms on the beach.

Compared to some of the sewers we stay in on the road, this one's NICE.:)

well this is sure positive to hear....just wonder whats going on with the pool??? I'll just keep crossing my fingers and hoping for the best!

I talked to a couple friends at AE, I don't want to spill too much to protect their and my identity...:D

They are hap-hazardly hiring, despite the bad economy they're bleeding up to 20 FOs per month due to the usual issues like low pay and the newer big one which is is the estimated 8yr. upgrade time.

I haven't applied to Eagle yet I almost did over a year ago but went somewhere else. One thing I've noticed about AE is that they like a lot of multi time, even more so than other companies. In the past they've overlooked very low TTs if the candidate has the multi, on the otherhand I know first hand of very qualified and strong candidates with well over 1000+ TT who were almost rudely told that they wouldn't be considered (this was back in the early summer of 2007) without 100 multi.

Anyways the latest is that a select few will be picked up and offered jobs in with a training date in late Jan/early Feb and the rest will be thrown in the pool for later this Spring.

Just words from the grapevine...:rawk: Viel Gluck!

Upgrade at virtually every regional has come to a stand-still... I don't think it matters at this point.

Very true, and there are factors in the Eagle pilot list that will change that so-called 8 year upgrade fairly rapidly.

First, there was a hiring freeze after 9/11. Coupled with the numerous mid-seniority FO's that left for greener pastures last year, we've got a big bubble in the FO list. That'll be worth 2-3 years, maybe.

Second, we've got 600 captains with AA numbers. AA is currently eyeballing expansion and staring down huge retirement numbers in the coming year. Once the remaining furloughees get their recall notices, up to 600 Eagle Captains may get sucked up to AA.

Third, I believe we just acquired 4 more ATR's and with the hiring announcement, I really believe we're going to get that additional 25 CRJ's.
That's a good chunk of Captain seats. It should replace the ones lost by parking the Saab, and possibly then some.

The first issue is a given. The 8-year upgrade mark is based on date of hire of the junior-most Captain. In other words, once a few more seniority numbers upgrade, you'll see it go to 6 years, and 5 years, etc. Eventually, this will happen.

The second issues are purely speculative, but likely. It's cost-advantageous to Eagle and AMR both to see movement in the list.

All that aside- you may have read my thoughts on chasing the fastest possible upgrade. You'll note that very few people are upgrading these days and even fewer are moving up to the Majors. Since the Majors have downsized, it'll be a while before anybody sees that shot.

Call it what you will. Eagle, like any Regional airline, has its downsides, but ultimately I'll call it a great place to work.

thanks firebird with all the posts, im pretty much checking this post every 10 min. Everything you said sounds very optimistic. hopefully they start calling the pool?

are 20 people still leaving per month?...that seems kinda high with the industry in the shape that it is.

Thanks Firebird. I was curious to see how AE compared to other places by things I've heard but it sounds like everywhere is sluggish. At least they are hiring though, that's a positive! With 140 multi, I just may have to get into contact with my friend there...

I've had alot of Eagle guys come through here doing ATP writtens or the whole ATP course that took the 5 year LOA or are just leaving for private flying jobs.

Thanks Firebird. I was curious to see how AE compared to other places by things I've heard but it sounds like everywhere is sluggish. At least they are hiring though, that's a positive! With 140 multi, I just may have to get into contact with my friend there...

With over 100 multi, you've nothing to lose by throwing your hat in the ring. I don't know what kind of times they're looking for, but it can't hurt to try.

Back