The "Max" Challenge

Not about this. I was just in the dark as much as you. If true I'm shocked. Shocked! I really expected an announcement of a split order between the 787 and A350.
In fact that is what my hopes were for. But again if true, I could understand Delta not wanting to wait if there were no 787 slots open before oblivion.

Well Delta that's why you don't wait to to get to the party late.

The 787-9 is selling like hot cakes, the A350, not so much. Plus it's new and their timetable is wide open.

But Delta already has twenty-five 797-9's on order and probably options for more. So we'll definitely be seeing the 787, in the Delta livery.

Just not anytime soon, if these reports are to be taken seriously.

It could be the only real problem with the airbus 797 is the delivery date... Pretty far away.

I really expected an announcement of a split order between the 787 and A350.
So we'll definitely be seeing the 787, in the Delta livery..

So I think a very large part of this was the Boeing vs. Delta dispute regarding the EX-IM Bank. Delta really upset Boeing. I wonder if they were unwilling to cut much of a deal because of it. I understand both sides of the argument on that.

Also I don't think we'll ever see a Delta 787 now. I think the orders will 737 MAX or perhaps whatever that 757 replacement is.

If they really go all Airbus the folks of Seattle aren't going to be happy.......

You'd be surprised I think. It seems like people get all up in arms but when it comes down to it, ticket price and schedule/nonstops are what matter to most people.

You'd be surprised I think. It seems like people get all up in arms but when it comes down to it, ticket price and schedule/nonstops are what matter to most people.
I think he means the thousands of Boeing workers...

I think he means the thousands of Boeing workers...

Yep.

I know the Boeing workers take that stuff seriously. I've had quite a few on flights to/from Seattle come up to us and say they worked on the airplane we were flying them on.

Yep.

I know the Boeing workers take that stuff seriously. I've had quite a few on flights to/from Seattle come up to us and say they worked on the airplane we were flying them on.

Oh yes I agree with that for sure. My wife is a Boeing engineer and she's really not thrilled. She just told me I should try for UAL and commute to SFO long term just so I can fly Boeings. Hmmmmm.

Oh yes I agree with that for sure. My wife is a Boeing engineer and she's really not thrilled. She just told me I should try for UAL and commute to SFO long term just so I can fly Boeings. Hmmmmm.
That might just be the dumbest reason to work somewhere ever, said the Embraer driver.

She needs to be annoyed at the senior management at Boeing. It was their contract to lose.
Agreed. The thing is, this doesn't surprise me. With the big spat Boeing and Delta recently had about the EX-IM Bank, I think Boeing was already annoyed at Delta. (seriously). And beyond that the business decisions Boeing has made over the last few years as well as a few things upper management has said point the direction of them not being worried about "little orders" from any US carrier. Their market is truly places like Emirates ordering 100 777Xs. However, this WAS a big order and there's no doubt it was a loss. Would have been very interesting to be a fly on the wall in that negotiating room. I can't believe they couldn't work a deal, I expected it to be a split order personally. That seems to be a common tactic in airline ordering to keep prices down.

Delta should'a set up a shell company to buy the planes in Ireland and use the Ex-Im largess, if only to demonstrate the absurdity of the competitive imbalance they are claiming. It sounds like a the decision on the RFP was made many months ago.

Back