The "Max" Challenge

I love DC-8's. I just want to talk dirty to it for a while out there in the boneyard.

Your 757s and 767s here, probably ones you flew, would love to hang out with you as well, before they go bye-bye for good.

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...a350-900-and-787-9-for-widebody-order-404208/

26 Sep 2014

Delta Air Lines has narrowed down its options for a planned widebody order to either the Airbus A350-900 or the Boeing 787-9, says chief executive Richard Anderson.

“We’re in the process of either choosing a 787-9 or an A350-900,” he said during a speech at Minneapolis-St. Paul International airport Foundation on 24 September, based on a recording provided by Minneapolis Star Tribune reporter Kristen Leigh Painter. “The important thing about that is that fleet is going to unlock the longer haul markets.”

Delta began evaluating options for an up to 50 widebody aircraft order to replace the 16 Boeing 747-400s and majority of the 58 Boeing 767-300ERs in its fleet in April. Only aircraft currently offered by airframers, including the Airbus A330-200 and -300, A350-900 and -1000, Boeing 777-300ER and 787-8, -9 and -10, were being considered, it said.

Anderson’s comments in Minneapolis were the first indication that the Atlanta-based carrier has narrowed its search.

Delta was widely expected to take advantage of steep end-of-line discounts on either the current generation A330s or 777s for at least a portion of the order. Airbus plans to introduce the first A330neo in 2017 and Boeing the first 777X in 2020.

“The most clarifying remark I could make is we like very low prices,” said Anderson on the status of the order in July.

…Delta is expected to make a decision in the fourth quarter and announce an order before the end of the year.

Hmmmm... they already have eighteen 787-9's on the books. I really think that could go for the 787-9, but Airbus is notorious for steep discounts and free training. I just really hope that it's a split order for both, both planes are awesome.

Aren't those 18 still officially 787-8s, and were deferred at least until 2020? Though there are options for 50 more. I always figured they hung on to them as an option that would probably be most valuable as selling-off a place in line.

"I believe you are away sir!"

Aren't those 18 still officially 787-8s, and were deferred at least until 2020? Though there are options for 50 more. I always figured they hung on to them as an option that would probably be most valuable as selling-off a place in line.

"I believe you are away sir!"

Yeah, but I'm pretty sure that Boeing would allow them to convert them to 9's!

giphy.gif

All Airbus.
25 A350-900s
25 A330-900s

Ehh, still tracking the source of the source. There's not jack on DeltaNet and generally speaking, they're foaming at the mouths whenever there's an order.

You now far more about this stuff than I do.

Not about this. I was just in the dark as much as you. If true I'm shocked. Shocked! I really expected an announcement of a split order between the 787 and A350.
In fact that is what my hopes were for. But again if true, I could understand Delta not wanting to wait if there were no 787 slots open before oblivion.

Well Delta that's why you don't wait to to get to the party late.

The 787-9 is selling like hot cakes, the A350, not so much. Plus it's new and their timetable is wide open.

But Delta already has twenty-five 797-9's on order and probably options for more. So we'll definitely be seeing the 787, in the Delta livery.

Just not anytime soon, if these reports are to be taken seriously.

Back