Hawkers

knot4u

Repeat Offender
It's well known that I'm not a fan. My misgivings about these wannabe Rube Goldberg contraptions have transformed into almost blind hatred. These geniuses must have seen a Lear and decided they could build a jet, so they did. It has pretty much nothing in common with any other jet that was its contemporary, nothing, labor must have been pretty cheap back then. Don't have British standard wrenches? Sad day. Have to remove the entire cabin interior to lube one bearing? Smashing! Let's go for tea. If they would have just had some humility and looked at how other people were accomplishing the same mission instead of trying to reinvent the wheel maybe they would still be in business. I HATE Hawkers. There isn't even any value in trying to learn how to work on them, it would make you dumber. The only issue is the dumb things are so well built they'll probably last forever.

Worst jet I’ve ever flown.
There are pilots that like them. Maybe the 900 miles of cables running under, through or around things to every point on the airplane make them feel safe. It's as if a steampunk nerd built a jet with no electricity available, and the engineers were on meth and acid when they put pencil to paper.

What do you not like? I only ask because I am going through initial now and will be flying 800xp/850xp/900xp all with proline 21
No hot wing.
Crap climb performance.
Parts are getting scarce.
Factory winglets are useless.
A closet for a baggage compartment.
The damn hook that grabs your clothes as you get in.
Horrible ergonomics for typing on the FMS
Boring.
Slow.

It's the Toyota Camry of the skies.

No hot wing.
Crap climb performance.
Parts are getting scarce.
Factory winglets are useless.
A closet for a baggage compartment.
The damn hook that grabs your clothes as you get in.
Horrible ergonomics for typing on the FMS
Boring.
Slow.

It's the Toyota Camry of the skies.
Except a Camrynis reliable. I haven’t worked on corporate jets, but from my understanding it’s more like the Taurus of the bizjet world.

It pays the bills and gets me home to sleep in my own bed almost every night.

What's not to love.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

What's not to love.

When was the last time the airplane the airplane you fly had to go through a big inspection like a 48 month or a combination of B,C,D,E inspections and came out of it on schedule and on budget? Of course, as the pilot, you may not care because it just means more time off for you.

[/QUOTE]
When was the last time the airplane the airplane you fly had to go through a big inspection like a 48 month or a combination of B,C,D,E inspections and came out of it on schedule and on budget? Of course, as the pilot, you may not care because it just means more time off for you.[/QUOTE]

Actually it has never come out late but it has come out early. As far as on budget, the airframe and engines are on a program so as far as I know it has never been much more than expected.

I can't say the same for any other plane that I've flown.

What's not to love.

When was the last time the airplane the airplane you fly had to go through a big inspection like a 48 month or a combination of B,C,D,E inspections and came out of it on schedule and on budget? Of course, as the pilot, you may not care because it just means more time off for you.

Most pilots don’t care about how hard an airplane is to work on. Just like you probably don’t care if an airplane doesn’t have nice flying qualities.

What's not to love.

Most pilots don’t care about how hard an airplane is to work on. Just like you probably don’t care if an airplane doesn’t have nice flying qualities.
Look call my kids lazy or my wife ugly but insult my ride and that's a step too far.

Some people, pilots and mechanics, are masochists and that's fine. Some mechanics like them because it's guaranteed overtime, I'm not one of those guys. If it was just the old 400s or 700s that had a few quirks and they were fixed as the airplane evolved I could understand it, but the 800XP is just as bad. Maybe they thought it was job security for the mechanics. If you like them you can honestly boast that there is no equal because they honestly have very little in common with any other airframe once you start getting elbow deep.

Edit: I do appreciate the simple effectiveness of the maxeret for anti-skid braking.

Honestly, Ive flown a ton of stuff and the Hawker flies well. the 900XP had decent performance for a heavy mid size plane. The only things I disliked from a pirates perspective is the wet wing and the interior baggage. I always said the Hawker never did anything great, but it did a lot of things well.

Never flown one, but saw photos of one that descended into the tree tops on approach, climbed out of it, went missed, came back and landed.

Looked kind of like this Be-200 as a result
https://podpolkovnikvvs.livejournal.com/291779.html

To me that's a properly overbuilt aeroplane.
There's a picture floating around the internet of one that got hit by a missile. It took out the right engine and the airplane landed safely. I never said they're bad airplanes, I'm sure some will still be flying long after I've retired. I just hate working on them.

IMG_0410.JPG

This is the missile strike. I'm suprised the gearbox stayed with the airplane, might've been a good thing with regards to that sudden change to the CG.

Back