The "Fix It" letter

My assumption is the 'Fix-It' letters are the current level of desperation. If I were in the HR office, I'd put the non-compliant applications in the trash next to the guy with 500 hours and the Walmart checker who thinks he'd really like to fly. Then the applications that are left are the ones which qualify. So maybe there aren't enough qualified candidates left? How long before Delta starts sending out postcards about how they don't suck anymore, like the Regionals and 135 bottom feeders have been? (OK, that's probably 'never').

ETA: This was not to imply that Delta sucks in some way, merely a comment on the tone of the postcards I've received from other organisations.

Nah, it's something they've done for quite a while.

Do not misinterpret this.

Nah, it's something they've done for quite a while.

Do not misinterpret this.

Time was, you were seemingly expected in the interview to have done some homework on the airline you're applying to.....know something about the history or current ops or such.

Now, you get fix it letters if you can't manage to place the correct company name on the resume/app of the airline you're applying to, even going so far as to put the rival name on the app (or forget to change it by failing to QA it, doesn't matter, same effect).

Times have indeed changed. :)

I honestly think "the fix it letter" is being over-extrapolated.

They may just want clarity on a section an answer. There's not going to be correspondence about spelling, grammar and egregious omissions, just a drop in the 'virtual circular profile' which is why I disagree with the opinion that it's hand holding.

I really didn't want to have a big public discussion about the efficacy of the issue, but to burst the rumor.

I honestly think "the fix it letter" is being over-extrapolated.

They may just want clarity on a section an answer. There's not going to be correspondence about spelling, grammar and egregious omissions, just a drop in the 'virtual circular profile' which is why I disagree with the opinion that it's hand holding.

I really didn't want to have a big public discussion about the efficacy of the issue, but to burst the rumor.

That's cool. At least it clears it all up. And like you say, QA your stuff, then have someone else QA it. Send in a quality product that represents you well as a candidate.

My friend says that about 15% of the resumes he sees has the wrong airline on it. it's just fun watching the applicants expression change as they realize it and hope the recruiter doesn't.

Wait, hold on a sec. It took me a few minutes to parse this.

Are you saying that people send resumes with the name of the company they're applying to on them?

Why would you do that? O_O

-Fox

Wait, hold on a sec. It took me a few minutes to parse this.

Are you saying that people send resumes with the name of the company they're applying to on them?

Why would you do that? O_O

-Fox

Nope, not saying that.

Guy walks up to the SouthernJets booth at a job fair and hands him a resume with "Objective: First Officer at NorthernJets"

Nope, not saying that.

Guy walks up to the SouthernJets booth at a job fair and hands him a resume with "Objective: First Officer at NorthernJets"

Wow. I mean, that's kinda what I asked, but it's way out of line with what I'm used to.

If it were properly "SouthernJets", that would be looked at as ridiculously gauche in any other industry. Your resume is about you, not about the company you're applying to. Obviously you want to work at the company you're applying to—you're sending them your resume.

Personally, if I saw a resume delivered to me with "Objective: A job at YourCompany," I would figure the applicant for a total ass-kissing pile of trash. I'm astonished that it's considered acceptable in the airline industry.

-Fox

Wow. I mean, that's kinda what I asked, but it's way out of line with what I'm used to.

If it were properly "SouthernJets", that would be looked at as ridiculously gauche in any other industry. Your resume is about you, not about the company you're applying to. Obviously you want to work at the company you're applying to—you're sending them your resume.

Personally, if I saw a resume delivered to me with "Objective: A job at YourCompany," I would figure the applicant for a total ass-kissing pile of trash. I'm astonished that it's considered acceptable in the airline industry.

-Fox

That's what I thought too. Until I started seeing resumes from people successful at getting hired who had it on there and who had their apps and resumes professionally screened. Go figure - maybe the paradigm is changing.

Like "please never send anything to this address again; good day"?

:D
IMG_2672.JPG

Career objectives have no place on a résumé. You can use a cover letter to talk about why the job is a good fit for you.

You don't need a cover letter at my friends desk at a job fair. You ARE your cover letter.

You don't need a cover letter at my friends desk at a job fair. You ARE your cover letter.

Which is exactly the point. Your objectives are a discussion topic, part of an initial conversation, either written or verbal. A resume is a list of facts.

Back