The "Fix It" letter

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
Ok, talked to my buddy today and he talked to his people and the skinny on the "Fix It" letter is this.

If you get a "fix it" letter and are given specifics, make sure you correct your application. It DOES NOT mean that it's going to be another 12 months before they look at it again, that rumor is absolute crap, but it will basically get another look after the corrections are made.

Time frame? Can't tell you because it's proprietary.

HOWEVER, here's the trick. Do not haphazardly shoot out an application with the expectation that they're going to redline your errors, you fix them and then magic is going to immediately happen. They really don't want applicants wasting the reviewers time by, essentially, proofreading poorly completed applications, sending fix it letters and the extra manpower to re-review it. It will be reviewed again, but poorly executed applications are a time suck.

Please do not expect the reviewers to hold your hand and serve as a "teachers aid". Humans read them and you really don't want to trigger their wrath! :)

Complete your application and before you submit it, have another friend look it over. Just because someone got hired isn't indicative that he "broke the code" or has any more knowledge about the application than the guy sitting next to you at a bar. Have a friend review it for you taking special attention to if you're "taking the most literal interpretation of the question" and if your answer pays respect to that and is honest as possible.

This, for many, is your first impression. Now if your second impression is missing information and then your third is as well, well, I think you know where this may be going!

Here's a basic example with a non-application hypothetical question.

"Have you ever gotten a ticket?"

If you've ever gotten a ticket, the answer is yes. Even though it doesn't show up on your record when you look for it, the answer is still "yes" if you've, in fact, gotten a ticket before, no matter what the resolution. You can explain that it was expunged, paid for with a fine, erased by traffic school, yadda yadda yadda.

When you ask for a complete ten year address history, if you're missing a week here or there and lived in a basement of a bus station, that's part of your address history.

Remember, the most literal interpretation of the question you're being asked.

Complete it, have a couple friends who are completely nuts about being detail-oriented, read it again, correct it, have them read it again, correct it and submit it.

Repeat after me, "take the most literal interpretation of the question" and "answer the question fully and honestly."

So you are saying I should remove "Please send me a fix it email so I know you looked at it" from my app?

Note: Sarcasm involved

And spell it "Air Lines."

My friend says that about 15% of the resumes he sees has the wrong airline on it. it's just fun watching the applicants expression change as they realize it and hope the recruiter doesn't.

Doug, isn't this you explaining what is generally considered to be basic knowledge of applying for a job?

Honest answers.

Answering questions completely

Proofreading

Are these new concepts in life not being taught or learned anywhere? Or is this 'job application 101' that's been in force ever since work applications existed?

Seriously.......the fact this needs to even be spelled out as it is being, is pretty pathetic, for what it supposed to be a group of educated professionals..

The frustrating part for many who apply at Delta is the job history. It very clearly states to go back 10 years on Airline Apps, but Delta wants your entire job history back to high school. For many folks, high school was way over 10 years. That should be notated someplace when applying through that system.

open-uri20150422-20810-jhyyp5_c1ad8289.jpeg

Reactions: ian
My friend says that about 15% of the resumes he sees has the wrong airline on it. it's just fun watching the applicants expression change as they realize it and hope the recruiter doesn't.

This is when you just be honest, frankly. I mean - granted, I'm probably not the guy to talk what with no experience going to "real" airline interviews...but this is when you say, "Hey, look, I messed up - I'll be honest, I've sent my resume to every major that had an opening and I was trying to be efficient, and I didn't play close enough attention to detail. This is super embarrassing - especially as someone who tries to be conscientious about stuff like this, and I can guarantee it isn't gonna happen again. I get it if it's game over for me here - I understand you've got a line of people out the door looking for this job who didn't get the name wrong. Regardless, I'm just happy I got far enough along to talk to a person face to face about the job, and thanks for the opportunity."

If you screw up, you screw up, own it, learn, and go on.

This is when you just be honest, frankly. I mean - granted, I'm probably not the guy to talk what with no experience going to "real" airline interviews...but this is when you say, "Hey, look, I messed up - I'll be honest, I've sent my resume to every major that had an opening and I was trying to be efficient, and I didn't play close enough attention to detail. This is super embarrassing - especially as someone who tries to be conscientious about stuff like this, and I can guarantee it isn't gonna happen again. I get it if it's game over for me here - I understand you've got a line of people out the door looking for this job who didn't get the name wrong. Regardless, I'm just happy I got far enough along to talk to a person face to face about the job, and thanks for the opportunity."

If you screw up, you screw up, own it, learn, and go on.

Or a simple "oops, sorry about that" and a smile would be far more efficient.

It happens all the time.

Or a simple "oops, sorry about that" and a smile would be far more efficient.

It happens all the time.

Circular file -----------------> VFR Direct.

:)

Seriously though, a company should not be having to send out "fix it" letters. Minor errors indeed happen, no one is perfect, and those can be clarified/corrected in an interview. However, major glaring errors......ones that demonstrate zero basic QA was done by the applicant.......such as not even the right darn airline, c'mon man, does one really need their hand held for that? This is your career at stake, take it seriously and take it responsibly. At least take it seriously enough to ensure small things like a resume/app are properly QA'd for the place you're applying to before sending/presenting it.

Back