The Christmas Meltdown

So what if you answer? The contract should give you the ability to just say no thanks. What, Delta doesn’t have that?

Neither do all three of the companies you've worked for. You may be in a situation that makes it not feasible for them to use you (drinking, in Europe, tied up (literally) at some crazy sex party... hey... @DPApilot and @Rocketman99 I think this is you guys this week!), but if the travel or FAA mandated wait times fit within their needs for staffing, you'd better be there or be expecting a call from your CP.

Neither do all three of the companies you've worked for. You may be in a situation that makes it not feasible for them to use you (drinking, in Europe, tied up (literally) at some crazy sex party... hey... @DPApilot and @Rocketman99 I think this is you guys this week!), but if the travel or FAA mandated wait times fit within their needs for staffing, you'd better be there or be expecting a call from your CP.

Sure about that?

I know for a fact that reserves on a day off here can refuse an assignment if they call on a day off, that is written contractually. It's pilots choice to accept if they call on a day off. A reserve doesn't have to come in until their next RAP time + 2 hrs.

I'll have to look it up, but I believe that lineholders who are called on their day off also have a voluntary choice to accept or not accept.

Sorry, but that just sounds crazy that you could be sitting on a day off at home, scheduling calls you, and just because you answer the phone you are now FORCED to fly on your time off? That should be a voluntary choice.

Sure about that?

I know for a fact that reserves on a day off here can refuse an assignment if they call on a day off, that is written contractually. It's pilots choice to accept if they call on a day off. A reserve doesn't have to come in until their next RAP time + 2 hrs.

I'll have to look it up, but I believe that lineholders who are called on their day off also have a voluntary choice to accept or not accept.

Sorry, but that just sounds crazy that you could be sitting on a day off at home, scheduling calls you, and just because you answer the phone you are now FORCED to fly on your time off? That should be a voluntary choice.

Do you have to argue everything?

Youve been in the airline world how long and you don’t understand the concept of an inverse assignment?

You can refuse at my airline if you’ve been drinking or cannot arrange child care.

Do you have to argue everything?

Youve been in the airline world how long and you don’t understand the concept of an inverse assignment?

You can refuse at my airline if you’ve been drinking or cannot arrange child care.

I’m curious, because he sounded so sure. And at his shop, apparently it’s an issue where he spends time defending/helping those who answered the phone on a day off.

I would actually quite enjoy answering the call from skeds drunk off my ass on a Saturday afternoon…

…If SJI didnt use a robot to call out IAs. Seriously, nobody is getting tagged with unwanted flying here. One has to call back and wait (usually for a very long time) and then try to get the trip they actually want.

Make no mistake, the company is doing things wrong and outside the lateral limits of the contract, but there are hundreds of pilots that are soaking it up willingly.

That said, one of my personal favorite parts of this job that is VASTLY different from my old one is that not only am I not expected to come in when the operation is on its heals, but that there is no expectation that I would want to. That is huge compared to where I came from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That said, one of my personal favorite parts of this job that is VASTLY different from my old one is that not only am I not expected to come in when the operation is on its heals, but that there is no expectation that I would want to. That is huge compared to where I came from.

Boom. I'm not sure that there is anywhere that is worse about this than our respective former employers though :)

MN ULCC has jr assignment. Pretty straightforward. Don't want to fly? Don't pick up the phone. On call/duty? Then you have to pick up the phone.

I was asleep for that part.

How bad is it for you commuters?
Well it’s still positive space until October so we (commuters) will survive that. But they plan on ending that (no surprise), so that should be right in time to fuel a Thanksgiving/Christmas meltdown. Not just pilots either, FA’s commuting and their uniform • show is going to be a recipe for …fun times

I believe you mean Delta Every Weekend Meltdown

I’m starting to believe this is absolutely a thing. Reserve pilots have ALL gotten smart and started setting up their schedules to pick up premium pay on off days. Not only is it paid above guarantee, but it removes long call days. There are zero reserves available ever, leading to even more premium time. I bid reserve and have no intention of flying a reserve trip this month. The only thing that is going to break the cycle is several thousand more pilots or several thousand fewer departures per month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back